Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
[
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this 1979 super cab up 2 year ago as just a cab and frame for $300. It’s clean for a michigan truck. A few months ago I picked up decent doors and and nice rust free fenders and core support for $150. Then I happened to come across this 97 f250 for free guy wanted it out of his yard and it came with a plow. It ran but trans was smoked. I brought it home stripped it down it has a 460 in it. I had a 25k mile 460 sitting in the corner for another project and picked up 2 zf5’s one with a fresh rebuild for $400 and sold the spare one for $500. I plan to go to a large single tank on the truck as I have a 32 gallon tank for one. I haven’t decided what I’m doing for a bed yet. The truck will be my daily/tow rig. I have collected a bunch more parts fir it. I cut the fire wall out of the 97 and I welded it in to the 79. Some one cut the fire wall all up on the 79 before I got it. Plus it makes using the dash etc from the 97 easier. I also am in the process of replacing all the floor. The front is done and dash is installed and I couldn’t resist throwing the seats in and seeing how she feels. I Picked up a old warn m8274 and bumper for $200 the bumper was tweaked but I managed to straighten it out. Also picked up a short flare side bed for $450. I also acquired a set of 2010 super duty axles with 4.10 gears for some work I did on a buddy’s truck.

What I started with

It sat for about a year with out my door g any thing with it then I got the doors and fenders

This is the 97 donor truck

The 460 has 25k on it trans is a zf5 full fresh rebuild

Took it to my dads to drop the cab on the new frame in November 2020

Started fitting the dash firewall and floors from the 97 in the 79 cab

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
[
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Once the dash was in I started getting the hvac and wiring all hooked up

Did some work for a buddy and he gave me a set of 4.10 axles from a 2010 f250

Picked up a flare side short box for it.

I finally found a 76 grill for it and scored a old school winch bumper with a m8274 for $200 bumper was tweaked but I straightened it out. And the winch works

I couldn’t help but to test fit a 37 on it.

That’s it for now plan to have it going in the next couple months.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Cool truck man, ya don’t see many of these trucks anymore. Thanks for saving it, and you got some damn good skills

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
[
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool truck man, ya don’t see many of these trucks anymore. Thanks for saving it, and you got some damn good skills

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You don’t they are hard to find. I looked for 3-4 months to find a decent cab. I was originally planning on building it to a pre runner then I built my raptor and decided it was more advanced in technology so this was going to become a hot rod then I decided I needed a tow rig and the 97 fell in to my lap and needed a body so this came to be. My skills get me by always learning lol

·
[
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did a little work tonight put the hydro boost in and cut the frame in the back so I can shorten it for the short box.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'm in for this one! I like where it's going! The straight cut on the frame scares me a little though. It's nice seeing someone else using an efi 460!!!

·
[
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm in for this one! I like where it's going! The straight cut on the frame scares me a little though. It's nice seeing someone else using an efi 460!!!
Thanks and I’m not worried bout the straight cut. Lots of e series motor homes are done like that. And it’s not just a straight cut it has L channel on the out side fishplated on the inside and plug welded. It’s also getting boxed in in that section. Should be plenty strong

·
[
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Frame is plated with L channel fish plated plug welded and is getting boxed in to make sure it will be strong and problem free

·
[
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Perfect! It's kinda similar to how I did mine. Are you going to box the entire frame?
No just where I cut it. I won’t be wheeling this will just be my daily and occasional tow my raptor to events ect.

·
[
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Last night I welded the fish plates in and cut off the old spring hangers and welded the new ones on. I also finished the cab mounts and tightened it down. Next I plan to mount the gas tank and lines then finish the core support mounts. Then i will finish the floors and start fitting the seats. I need to finish hooking the wiring back up and move a couple things.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts