Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
101 - 120 of 123 Posts

· [
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Haven’t posted much on this put a few miles on it and one day it went pop and shut down. I brought it home and broke some ribs a few days later then went on a 10 day vacation to our sand dunes here in michigan got back home and tore it down and found the problem. A bolt came out of the timing cover and broke the cam gear off. No damage to the head or pistons fortunately. I’m ordering a new cam lifters/tappets and going to upgrade the push rods will it’s apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

· [
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
The wait for parts is finally over cam and tappets showed up last week head gasket showed up Friday and new push rods showed up yesterday 8-21-22 finishing cleaning up the engine and painting today drop the head back on tomorrow. Kdp block off plate installed as well as removing all bolts inside the timing cover applied lock tight and retorqued them. Pulled the oil pan and cleaned it all up made replacing the tappets easy! That’s all for now hopefully have it back up and running this week.

· [
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
My boy and I got the head back on last night. Then put the pushrods in torqued all 26 bolts in 5 steps up to 140 ft lbs. advanced the timing on the pump 1 tooth for better mpgs and more power. Plan to lash the valves tonight.

· [
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 · (Edited)
Well this followed me home 9-29-22! It was built by Bob Waddill to pull his MGA salt flat race car in the 70’s, He holds the class C/BMS, record at 243.970 mph. I bought the trailer from his grandson who still has the MGA it’s 38’ long the Cummins pulled it with out a problem. Can’t wait to clean it up and make my bronco fit on it. Plan to cut the back half off and close it in to make the back open for my bronco.

101 - 120 of 123 Posts