Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great project, it is a 1970 auotsick need engine rebuilt have the parts for it, has new carb and more, need restoration, has new tires, new brakes but needs new lines, did run but a the seals are gone, $1,200 or best. have to sell, losing our home

·
Registered
244 Posts
what is an autostick? pics please.
An autostick, is a semi-automatic shifter. No physical clutch pedal but a shifter for the gears. The VW auto stick has a Lo range gear and two higher gears and reverse of course, you could cruise around all day in the highest gear without shifting but you wouldn't be taking off too fast at trafic lights.
Really funky German system when you touch the shifter it engages the clutch.

I'd like to see some pics too please.

·
The guy Dale doesn't know
4,182 Posts
An autostick, is a semi-automatic shifter. No physical clutch pedal but a shifter for the gears. The VW auto stick has a Lo range gear and two higher gears and reverse of course, you could cruise around all day in the highest gear without shifting but you wouldn't be taking off too fast at trafic lights.
Really funky German system when you touch the shifter it engages the clutch.

I'd like to see some pics too please.
huh, so its basically like short shifting, just without the grind. crazy germans.

·
Me balls are huge
2,543 Posts
I thought the semi-automatic was a vacuum system. When you open the throttle, and vacuum drops, the clutch engages. You release the throttle and the clutch disengages. That's why you have to release the throttle to shift.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I thought the semi-automatic was a vacuum system. When you open the throttle, and vacuum drops, the clutch engages. You release the throttle and the clutch disengages. That's why you have to release the throttle to shift.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
No your right FrankNBrew it is a vacuum system...but the shifter also plays into the whole system, when you put your hand on the shifter it drops out of gear, my buddy bought one from a guy who thought the tranny was blown because it kept dropping out of gear going down the road. Turns out he just had his hand resting on the shifter! There is a servo motor that gets pretty pricy that is wired directly to the shifter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts