Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I decided to finally start the restoration of the 1956 Alumacraft Deep C that my dad gave me.

Before: (1/20/13)

Removed Hardware, motor, windshield:

Flipped Boat Over (will begin to strip paint tomorrow):

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
So I started the paint removal today. Only got about three hours in, but decent progress was made. More pictures to come in the next couple of weeks.

·
Are we there yet?
1,993 Posts
Subscribed! I have an old Alumi-craft from my grandpa that we have setup to take out on Sagainaw bay for Walleyes. Have thought about painting it and can't wait to see how your boat turns out.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Subscribed! I have an old Alumi-craft from my grandpa that we have setup to take out on Sagainaw bay for Walleyes. Have thought about painting it and can't wait to see how your boat turns out.
At this point, I don't plan on painting. More than likely, i will be sanding. polishing, and possibly clear coating the aluminum. So, far i really like the look of the bare aluminum, but there is still quite a bit of work to be done. My goal is to bring it back as close to original as possible and find a era correct motor, which is proving difficult to find. This boat will still be a fishing boat as it always has been.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I just googled "1956 outboard motor for sale" and it came up with a whole bunch of motors for sale. Try it and I bet you will find what you are looking for.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update from the last couple of weeks

Flipped boat back over and removed the of the paint:

Started to Polish the Aluminum, this is going to take some time.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
More rubbing compound and than some more

Should have the rest of the boat cleaned up this weekend. Then comes the polish.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
New Updates:

Mostly put back together. Couples things left, I need to finish cleaning the inside of the boat, paint the floor, and mount the speakers.

Inside of the boat (New seat) and floor needs to be painted.

Outside of boat:

I was originally going to get era correct Johnson outboard, but I wanted more reliability (Plan on alot fishing) so I ordered this:

2013 Evinrude 30 h.p:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
If your Dad is still around take him fishing this weekend. Pretty cool father's day gift IMO. Nice job. I think you'll eventually paint it but I dig it!

·
Feel lucky?
5,147 Posts
Neat

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update

Its been awhile since I've updated:

Hauling it off to get the new outboard:

New Outboard installed:

Launched:

Top shot:

laying her on her side:

·
Whoop Whoop
17,241 Posts
Very cool.

I'm excited to pull my ranger into my garage this winter for a fairly major redo.
Wiring, New lids to all compartments, maybe new carpet, some fiberglass work (mainly refinishing the gel coat), New livewell system, and probably some motor work. That Johnson stinger has had very little maintenance the 36 years it's been in my family. And my dad doesn't ever fix anything.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts