I didn't flare them. If you look in post 158 those are the parts in the plastic bag that came with the headers. They went from 3" to 2-1/2" I cut the ends off in the lathes where I could weld the small 3" ring to a piece of 3" pipe so I could have 3" the full length.
In the past when I need something flared I'd just stop at a mom and pop exhaust shop. They'll usually flare a couple of pieces for nothing or next to nothing.
I took her out yesterday for the first time ever to show her off at the panty raid car show in Lambertville. I didn't take any real pictures. She got quite a few looks as it rumbled at an idle to the spot I parked it at. She got some interest sitting there and we talked to quite a few people. When I fired it as we were getting ready to leave everyone noticed and started crowding around. Gotta love the sound of a cold big block in a pos looking truck when it's not expected!
Here's the only picture one of us got of it there.
I saw this on the hood of another rat rod and thought it was pretty damn cool!
If all goes right she'll be out and about a lot after Friday. I've decided I'm going to go ahead and put a plate on it, already have the appointment for the sos. Mirrors and rear fenders are the next things that'll happen to it.
I took her out over the weekend and put around 100 miles on it. I blew through about 12 gallons of gas. There's a handful of things I need to improve on it. The windows being up rattle like crazy driving down the road so I'm going to put something in the window frames to take up the extra room. It gets HOT in the cab! I can't stand the look of my tach and it's way to bright for driving around at night, I bought a new one to replace it. I still don't have side mirrors, I did put a small stick on one on the driver's side door until my new ones come in. It didn't skip a beat all weekend but I'm having a trans issue, I'm pretty sure my torque converter is junk so I have the trans out currently. At 60 mph I'm spinning 3800-3900 rpm and it is definitely shifting into all 3 gears. The new one should be here within a couple days.
I also bought some rear fenders and put one of them on, it's been too hot and humid to really mess with it after work.
The old one works good but it's just not for me and stands out too much for this truck.
Once I get the trans all situated and everything back together rims and tires will be my next big thing. I have to go at least 18" to clear the calibers. I plan to go with a + offset to try to tuck the tires in as far as I can. That probably won't happen anytime in the near future so I'll just be driving the shit out of it the way it is.
I've been driving it quite a bit lately and getting a lot of looks. It hasn't skipped a beat. With the new converter it boils the tires from a stop without any brake input and now chirps them pretty good at the 1-2 shift. My wife bought me a set of mirrors that are awesome, I just put them on yesterday. I keep getting the same exhaust leaks at the collectors, I've double nutted all the bolts and they continue to loosen up from the heat cycles. I think the bolts are just stretching now. I'm going to put some better bolts in when she's up for the winter. I put it to work yesterday and loaded up 4 sheets of plywood. It'd be nice to have other options for the radiator so I could utilize the whole bed.
I came across an ad on marketplace. Guy said he had a couple Willys and asked if anyone needed parts before he scrapped them. There was no detailed pictures of anything and I didn't know exactly what I might want but the windshield trim so we headed up to take a look since he was only 45 minutes away. There is roughly 75 vehicles that look like they were out in the woods for the last 50 years rotting away. I got what I wanted along with what I didn't know I needed.
I placed a couple of orders for small parts the other day so it will look more complete.
I had a blow out a few weeks ago on one of the front tires so I'll be getting 2 more crap rims and tires from the junk yard until I can decide what rims and tires I want to go with. An 18x8 with 275/70s with a +43 offset puts the front tires exactly where I want them. The problem is my radius arms are right in the way. I really don't want to make custom radius arms for it or make it 4wd with a 4 link front again yet. No time working 7 days a week.
The windshield wiper arms, wipers and door handle rebuild kits came in today. I'll rebuild the door handles at work tomorrow. For now here's the wipers and arms. I'm going to buy a new 12v wiper motor so the wipers will be functional. A real windshield and rear window are also on my list.
Stupid little things but it's progress and I'm trying to make it look more complete. Rebuilt door handles. I'm not completely satisfied with the internal strength of the spring returns. Hopefully they'll work better once on the doors with the help from the mechanisms pushing back against them.
Here's the guts. It's a very simple process. Just grind the heads off the brass pins, knock them out and reinstall. Doing both took about 20 minutes.
For the amount I paid for these kits I was hoping for better quality. They're listed at various sites between $60-$140 each!
Done. If they don't work as well as I expect them to I have an extra set of handles I can experiment with.
Again nothing big and everything is still incomplete but I put the sun visors in (need upholstered). I sand blasted all of the inside windshield frame molding and painted it, it's in, including an original mirror. I'm going to get new screws for everything so there's a little shiny inside the cab. I'm missing a usable outside windshield metal piece divider but did grab one a couple weeks ago to use as a template.
The first picture shows the split windshield molding thingy.
This picture shows the sun visors/mirror and if you zoom in you can kinda see the windshield molding.