Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
141 - 160 of 172 Posts

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,724 Posts
Very cool, gonna be a neat truck for running around in. Definitely a head turner.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
Here's a couple of the new bumper and hitch. I'll be finish welding it hopefully tomorrow and putting some chain hooks on.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
I bought this little guy yesterday, I got tired of having to wait so long for the wood burner to heat up.

Here's the finished bumper. It's a crap pictures but you get the idea. Hitch is welded solid with gussets, lights are wired, trailer wires are tucked up in the bumper. I'm finally done with the ass end of this thing.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
Here's a short video of the running lights and blinkers. I did straighten them up after I made the video.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
Thanks guys! I ordered the whole exhaust today with the exception of mufflers. Those will come soon.

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,724 Posts
I've gotta show my son that video. He loves when tailights do that.

Is that a special kit to make them do that? Now I am wondering if I could adapt something like that in the back of my jeep? I want something flush mount, I was going to go round, but he would like what you did so much.... hmmmm

·
Gustafson
10,135 Posts
I've gotta show my son that video. He loves when tailights do that.

Is that a special kit to make them do that? Now I am wondering if I could adapt something like that in the back of my jeep? I want something flush mount, I was going to go round, but he would like what you did so much.... hmmmm
Hahaha, I'm 37 and like them too. I remember the Mustangs from back in the day with taillights like that.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 · (Edited)
I wanted something a little different. Originally I had 3 rows but decided the 3rd one at the bottom of the bumper was too much. I welded the holes closed on them..

I also wanted to recess them but decided against it to so the bumper wasn't sticking out more. The way I made it, it would have put the recessed spots for the tail lights directly inline with my boxed chassis.

Nothing special for the most part. I believe the only thing I had to do differently than anything else was tie the brake wire and turn signals together. Or turn signals and tail lights. I don't remember which one. I know it was an odd thing to do.

I have still been busy working on it off and on. I've done some little things. I now have working brake lights. I mounted a tab and installed the switch for that. While I was working inside the cab doing that I decided to adjust the brake pedal too. I never posted any pictures of it or took any but it was at a very uncomfortable height. It's down to a more managble area now.

One of these days it's not wet outside I may have my wife record me driving it down the road. That way I'll have a before and after of the exhaust.

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,724 Posts
^^^ So, these are surface mount?

Where did you find or get them? Think I will do a little research on them. Thanks!!! :)

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 · (Edited)
I think it was Amazon, I'll have to do some digging later.
In the meantime I made a ridiculously long video driving down the road for a comparison to what it'll sound like when the new exhaust is done for later to compare.

Here's something to keep you interested

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
They were bought on Amazon, I can't find them to link them though.

I bought a set of headers and their on back order!! I cancelled that order and waiting for them to put the money back in my account so I can but from somewhere else....

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 · (Edited)
These finally came in after dealing with a bit of a headache.

I got the factory exhaust manifolds off, not without breaking 6 F'n exhaust bolts though! I haven't messed with them yet aside from putting kroil on them at least once a day. I also destroyed the EGR tube so I'm going to delete it. I test fit the headers and verified they'll work. I've sand blasted them, primed and painted them with VHT header paint. I've had decent luck with that over the years.

The collectors went from 3" to 2-1/2". Since I'm running a full 3" exhaust I chucked them up in the lathes and went to work.

I took just enough off of the face of them to make them true.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 · (Edited)
Well the headers are on and exhaust is completely finished. I ditched the EGR and made a block off plate because it crumbled when I took the stock exhaust manifolds off. The headers worked out quite nice. I tig welded the whole thing, went 3" all the way with side exits slightly pointed to the ground after the rear tires. I cut almost all the slip joints off of the pipes because I don't like the way they look on an exhaust, it's not clean enough for my liking. Whenever I build an exhaust I build them so that they cannot be seen at all if possible. The only sign of the exhaust on this thing is where they exit. I painted the whole exhaust black too. Hopefully that'll help it last a little longer since I went carbon. I didn't take any pictures of it installed.

141 - 160 of 172 Posts