Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Go lil yellow Roobicon...
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The machine shop I work at has about 2 pallets of this leftover from a big job we just did so....

Knowing what I know about steel I would think these would be beefy enough for some lower control arms...but maybe not. This is solid stock and I intend on just going with bushings at both ends.

I'm running a stock suspension on a 04 Rubicon with 31's still. I beat on it pretty hard and am armored enough underneath to have been through a few sets of mangled factory arms. I don't plan on lifting and tires until next year when these tires are worn so I'm just looking to improve somewhat for a few more runs this year.

Worth the effort or not???

·
Fucking Zen as Shit
16,161 Posts
Take 6 of them and weld them into a single stick.

Then take some high strength, narrow diameter steel cable and wrap the entire assembly, nice and tight putting it in tension.

then make your control arms

·
likes him some Red Dog
2,268 Posts
If you have to ask, it's too small. Don't cheap out with those kind of parts. IMHO :beer:

·
Go lil yellow Roobicon...
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you have to ask, it's too small. Don't cheap out with those kind of parts. IMHO :beer:
Yeah that's what I was kinda thinking, but those damn factory ones I can just about bend by hand so...... well you know cheap and easy.

Thanks for the great idea sandals....maybe when I make a cage I'll do that instead.:thumb:

·
All out Idiot
1,714 Posts
im using some 2" 1/4" wall 4130. over kill but will do good.
just a little overkill. better stronger than weaker

but i'm right there with 2" 1/4" wall DOM. it was free so i couldn't pass on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.