Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
NO RELIGION WAT!
28,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a luxury watch under 5k?
Who sells them? Private or chain stores.
What to stay away from?

Just asking. I'm still with the rest of you 99%ers :finger:

·
Premium Member
14,639 Posts
Stay away from Rolex for sure. At that price point they are garbage (they are garbage at all price points).

·
Yooper In Training
7,276 Posts
Timex or Swatch

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,110 Posts
People still wear those things?

·
I have an avatar. Yippee.
4,283 Posts
What is a luxury watch under 5k?
What is subjectivity?

Who sells them? Private or chain stores.
online retailers, private sellers, jewelry stores, up-scale department stores (Macy's, Nordstrom, Von Maur, Bloomingdale's etc....) :finger:

What to stay away from?
fakes, and buying things you don't need with money you don't have to impress people you don't like :fish:

There are many, many common and boutique brands in that price range. With Breitling, I'd add Omega, Bell & Ross, and Longines to the shopping list.

If you're feeling .0001%'er check out Patek Phillipe.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I love watches, especially expensive ones. Like the rest of the things I like, I have champagne taste on Natty Light budget.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
What style do you want? Dive watch or dress watch? Are you willing to buy secondhand? That will make a slight difference but...

For under $5k if you shop around, you can get an Omega Seamaster or Speedmaster Pro (but not the Planet Ocean which is probably their most popular model) which are both respectable and have plenty of name recognition if that is your thing. You can find them well under $5k if you are willing to go to the secondary market.

If I were buying for myself in that range, I'd probably put go for a Grand Seiko though. They make all of their movements in house (not true for Omega) and have some of the most accurate movements in the business. The specs rival (and often surpass) many Rolex models that cost much more. As an added bonus, the Grand Seikos are not as common here in the U.S. so it's not likely to be something you see on other wrists too often.

If you are willing to buy secondhand, check out WatchRecon to get an idea of prices and availability for just about any brand on the market. WatchUSeek is a great forum that answers just about any question.

Bell & Ross will be my next watch.
Bell & Ross often gets a bad rap these days for their quality but they still make some very aesthetically interesting watches. I especially love some of their older models that they made in collaboration with Sinn.

My next watch will be a vintage Heuer or a Zenith el Primero.

Some from my current collection:

Seiko MarineMaster 300

Seiko Tuna

Seiko Orange Monster (great quality:price ratio)

vintage Omega Seamaster Chronostop

Sinn U1

Sinn 856 UTC (which is currently in getting a new crystal and other work done after I dropped it on our stone floor :()

Doxa Sub1200T Pro

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
2 cats on my hockey team have Shinolas they seem to really like the. And they are made in Detroit.
Well, assembled in Detroit is more accurate. They do have some great looking watches though and are definitely winning in the marketing/distribution world.

I have a few friends and coworkers with them and they are definitely eye-catching.

·
Desert Rat
7,115 Posts
My son has a Tijuana Rolex. Cost him $20.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts