Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving to work the yesterday, and my ABS light came on out of no where... Then my brake light started flashing.

Then I noticed some power loss and my speedo gauge bouncing around. within 10mph of my probable actual speed. Then under any load I would lose the gear I was in and it would drop down to the next gear and rev till it caught it.

drove home from Washtenaw college last night in 2nd gear at about 50mph.

I bought a VSS sensor on the way home and put it in. it seemed like it helped a bit, but still acted up. I checked the grounds. They seem fine. atleast the few I found. I chased the one behind the intake down and it seemed to have a good connection. the firewall to intake is good. I checked my connection back at the tcase tail shaft and no damage of any sort. nothing has been done to this truck in the last 6 months.

ideas? seems like worst case it would be the tcase, but that seems a bit extreme. and unlikely. no metal shavings or anything on the vss and fluid is in the tcase.

·
Because racecar
4,041 Posts
scan it for codes. If no codes. drive it around and look at live data on the scanner (VSS, tcase data ect)

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK. Just a knock sensor code and a exhaust code. Nothing else. Got the live data going and vss jumps around all over the place. From like 18mph to 2 even though I'm going like 15... Probably why stuff is freaking out. I don't see anything specific on tcase though to look at. Its a new vss.

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found it... There is a stupid secondary connection for the vss that is towards the front of the tcase on the harness. I took it apart put it together (didn't look seated right). Drove it. Lights went away. Made it down the road and hit a bump. Lights came back on speedo whacked out. Stopped crawled under and screwed with it again. Lights went away. Ran up and down highway. Back to normal. Back down dirt road. Hit bump lights came on speedo went to zero. Gonna cut that out and solder the connection and weatherproof it...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts