Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the girlfriends gear box is leaking, from what i could tell it was leaking out of the input shaft area. i looked at it after i got back from the bar and it was dark so no guarantees that is where its leaking.

the question is, i pulled the diagram on mitchell and there is a bunch of "O" rings that go around the valve body and all, now is that even worth tearing into? or would it need a full rebuild or replacement. i know seals go bad but i dont want to replace them if parts are warn and made the seals leak.

·
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it the input or the pitman arm seals?
the girlfriends gear box is leaking, from what i could tell it was leaking out of the input shaft area. i looked at it after i got back from the bar and it was dark so no guarantees that is where its leaking.

the question is, i pulled the diagram on mitchell and there is a bunch of "O" rings that go around the valve body and all, now is that even worth tearing into? or would it need a full rebuild or replacement. i know seals go bad but i dont want to replace them if parts are warn and made the seals leak.
yep the input seals

·
Its tough out there.
2,754 Posts
if the box is the same as the 97,s its one main o ring / seal that is most likely the leak. slightly tricky to replace for those without acess to good tools but with you being a wcc student you should have littel dificulty.
ive replaced bolth in and output seals on my tj no leaks. its rather easy and way cheeper than a reman whitch i hear spring leaks alot. its more dificult pulling the box off the jeep than replacing the seals.

·
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if the box is the same as the 97,s its one main o ring / seal that is most likely the leak. slightly tricky to replace for those without acess to good tools but with you being a wcc student you should have littel dificulty.
ive replaced bolth in and output seals on my tj no leaks. its rather easy and way cheeper than a reman whitch i hear spring leaks alot. its more dificult pulling the box off the jeep than replacing the seals.
tools are not really an issue, i have a pretty good selection, and if i dont have it i have access to just about anything.
i told the GF that i wasn't really comfortable going into her gear to replace the seals sience its the last time i had one appart was high school.

but if its not too bad i might take a shot at it.
she is calling the shop tomorrow just to see how much it would cost.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.