Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Drinking

5K views 62 replies 32 participants last post by  JohnnyJ 
#1 ·
I'm really not sure where to go, what to do or how to fix things. I've been drinking alot recently, its affecting my life. It's 6:30 in the morning and I'm thinking about getting drunk already, I don't feel like I have anyone to turn to so I figured I would just post something on here. I've tried AA meetings, I've been to some outpatient type stuff, I don't feel like any of it works. I just want to feel good about my self and I can't seem to find a way to do that.

#2 ·
Go outside and go for a walk. NOW!

I've never been a heavy drinker so I have no personal experience. However I have 2 neighbors who were raging alcoholics. Nothing helped them till THEY decided they didn't want to be drunk all the time. They simply said "I'm not doing this anymore" and quit.

You can too!
Good luck!

#9 ·
Start drinking soda or some other non alcoholic drink.

Not at all a fix. But if your use to holding a can or bottle it may let you retain that feeling.

#10 ·
Walk, drink water, and do not buy alcohol.

If you have any alcohol, get rid of it (not by drinking it).

Walking is very therapeutic. I do not listen to music while walking, it's a good way to get hit by a car. Also, by not having distractions I can work through the issues of the day in my mind.

#13 ·
There is a book "Why Can't I Drink Like Everybody Else" that looks at drinking from a slightly different approach....as a learned behavior, rather than a disease or whatever. The theory and the practice that the author lives by is to un-learn the behavior. It might be worth the read...the author has been successful with her lifestyle change after other attempts failed. (The book is listed on amazon.)

Good luck, we all have our ups and downs, I chalk them up to building character that we all need to make it through life.

#19 ·
I wish you the best of luck. My girlfriend's dad has been heavy drinker for years. He was 1.5 fifths a day kind of drinker. He has made himself diabetic because he killed his pancreas. His world is falling down around him after having his second dui conviction and a stent in jail. Make the change and get sober. The bottle is no place to live. It has affected his relationship with his brothers and wife as well as his children. He is a very stand up guy but has trouble with the bottle. From what I have seen from being around him is that you need to be honest. If someone asks you if have drank answer truthfully. Living a life of lies is no way to live. It burns bridges with the people around you and will make you turn to the bottle more to hide the loss of loved ones.

You have made a huge step by coming forward and talking about it. Fell good that you recognize the problem. Her dad doesn't see his drinking as a problem, rather he sees everyone else having a problem with him drinking to be the real problem. (Hope that Mmakes sense). Take small steps and go one day sober, then two days sober. Don't beat yourself up and live in the past if you fall off the wagon. Keep looking forward and taking it day by day. Sobriety is a hard thing to get to but it can be done.

#22 ·
Sounds just like my uncle. He died a year and a half ago, literally drank himself to death and killed his organs, all after alienating his family and ruining his life. That's no way to be. I love beer and probably drink more of it than I should, but I'm very conscious of any trends that point toward addiction and make sure I'm not being a fool about it. It's a slippery slope that's easy to start down if you don't pay attention. Denial and ignorance are as dangerous as the bottle itself, put them all together and it's a losing combination every time.

It's day 3 now. I've been trying to get outside some, took the dog for a long walk Sunday.

This week and weekend are going to be busy so that helps, kids are going back to school and we race friday and saturday night. It's going to be my sons 2nd night in a micro sprint, luckily he is a much more cautious driver than I am. Trying to keep 3 cars on the track for 2 nights should be fun.

I took the whole year off from any offroad racing, I never even got the buggy back together. I guess that is my goal as soon as the dirt oval stuff is done for the season.

I only have a few good friends, they drink but don't need to. They don't drink with my ever, I have a bunch of bar "friends" that I only see there. I don't need them in my life at all. A few new friends that want to help with racing would be good though.

Thanks to everyone for the words of support, It means a ton.
Sounds like your head is in the right place and your priorities are on track. That's more than half the battle right there IMO. You have to want the change if you plan for it to last. Good luck and feel free to use us as a crutch if you need some help. We may be a bunch of assholes, but we're pretty helpful assholes when we want to be.

#20 ·
It's day 3 now. I've been trying to get outside some, took the dog for a long walk Sunday.

This week and weekend are going to be busy so that helps, kids are going back to school and we race friday and saturday night. It's going to be my sons 2nd night in a micro sprint, luckily he is a much more cautious driver than I am. Trying to keep 3 cars on the track for 2 nights should be fun.

I took the whole year off from any offroad racing, I never even got the buggy back together. I guess that is my goal as soon as the dirt oval stuff is done for the season.

I only have a few good friends, they drink but don't need to. They don't drink with my ever, I have a bunch of bar "friends" that I only see there. I don't need them in my life at all. A few new friends that want to help with racing would be good though.

Thanks to everyone for the words of support, It means a ton.

#28 ·
I quit drinking slowly when I realized I was drinking too much,
spending too much,
and making myself feel like crap all the time.

There was a point in time where I was referred to as "Chris the Fifth" Because I had a penchant for just grabbing a bottle of whiskey and drinking straight from the bottle. Easily going through a bottle in 2 or 3 days etc.

I've felt way better since those days. At this point I may have a glass of wine once every 4 or 5 months and that's about it. Save for the one round of tequila shots with a new client while out of the country, and I felt it the next day.

Think about the $ you're spending on alcohol that you could be spending on parts

#29 ·
I can drink or not drink.

I can drink heavily, but feel no need to.

I can avoid drinking even when everyone else around me is drinking.

I have no 'magic formula' for doing this, it's just the way I have always viewed alcohol (and other substances). It's a 'take it or leave it' mindset.

Just remember- anyone who thinks less of you because you refuse a drink is not really your friend.

#30 ·
Quitting anything is though,smoking,dieting,any substance,,what works for one,does not work for everyone, The smoking thing,some just say iam done,some do acupuncture,some the patch,etc,there is a way for everyone,,,,just be patient and find your way,,,falling down because one way does not work for ya ,means try the next way,the point is don't give up........... you will look back on this time in your life and see you got past it...true story from our family.

#31 ·
I am 12 years sober. I did it and continue to do it one day at a time.

Don't give up on AA. you may just need to find the right meeting. There is a huge difference between meeting places and even times of day.

Keep it up, you've taken a great frist step.

#33 ·
I drink a lot. Especially nowadays. Almost as much when I was a kid. I use to drink and drive like it was nobodies business. We would order trays of drinks at last call and get kicked out by 3am or later depending on the bar we were at. I partied all the time except when I boarded. I stayed sober for that because I rode all day and night. Boring run after run. Perfecting my moves as I went.
I dont drink when I wheel. I never drink when I carry. So I carry everyday. It's a cutch. I still drink everyday. I think I am drunk now, but coherent. Sometimes I don't drink for weeks. Then I see a post on FB and start drinking. I try not to reply. I either turn full on asshole or a mild retard who is clueless, but trolling the Uber Einstein's of Facebook. I'm not unhappy. My life is pretty good. I do get depressed at the lack of snow. I am a very positive person. I think I drink out of frustration of extremely stupid arrogant people. I've met extremely smart people I admire and extremely stupid people perceived as intelligent. Trust me I don't give a fuck what you think of me. I just hope you become a better person than me because I am an asshole. :d:

♡ Immortal

#34 ·
Keep yourself think on the good side of things. Sounds like you enjoy doing the stuff with you Son and you said that you have project that needs to be worked on. I you have stuff to keep you mind off drinking and if that's not working go for that walk.

I never been a drinker myself but, I was/am an Shity Ass food eater. I am talking any kind of Junk food, Fast food, Candy. Would drink Pop like mad or anything bad for me. It made me feel better about all the shit I was going threw. Between the Medical issue, my anger issue, loss of friends, loss of caring and more. Only thing that got me back on some kind of solid ground was when I finely got back to work after almost 5 years of nothing. I still have me days but they are far better than they use too.

I hope all goes well for you in you endeavors on this journey your embarking on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.