Ice Age is coming back. - Page 4 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old February 27th, 2019, 04:48 PM   #61
Zjman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 03-28-14
Location: Corning, ohio
Posts: 241
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
You must have compared notes with Al Gore. He predicted the same in global cooling mini ice age which never happened.

I remember the 70"s when that was the big scare. We had plenty of snow and colder than normal winters.

The 80's and 90's there was acid rain and global warming.

Now in order to cover all the bases they call it climate change.

Volcano's cause more damage than man can do.

The United States has cleaned up on the pollution from manufacturing plants and such but in the same other countries such as China, India and other countries picking up the pace to manufacture and which there are almost zero controls having to do with pollution.

There was ice age when we were the big polluters and now that other countries are the big polluters we have climate change.

I don't by into the whole climate change global warming craze.

We are moving into a cooling trend. In the past 2 years NASA reported that temps have dropped by .56 c.


Huh we did do something after all
http://mentalfloss.com/article/18940...ened-acid-rain


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zjman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old February 27th, 2019, 04:50 PM   #62
Zjman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 03-28-14
Location: Corning, ohio
Posts: 241
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrgunn5150 View Post
Again... I'll ask... What do you think you're going to do?


If you were diagnosed with cancer would you seek treatment or just let nature take its course? Cause ur gonna die eventually right no matter what


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zjman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2019, 06:45 AM   #63
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 8,202
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmenn View Post
It won't be unlivable, it just won't support as many humans. As heavily populated coastal areas become submerged, people will have to migrate inland, meaning less land for agriculture. Also, as climates change, crops will fail where they have traditionally grow. Eventually people will find new crops that can handle the new climate, or new growing areas where the old crops can grow, but that will take time. Since people tend to eat every day, there will likely be wide spread famine and starvation. I've heard suggestions that the die off rate may be as high as 90%.

Eventually a new equilibrium a new equilibrium with a whole lot less people and life will go on until the sun runs out a fuel and the sun expands and burns us all to a crisp. Nothing lasts forever.
If there was a hint of this happening people would be selling off all the waterfront property and moving to the mountains and I don't see that happening anytime soon.
What I have noticed is that farmers are growing some veggies in greenhouses. They have control over pests and basically the weather. I don't see your scenario coming true in our future.
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2019, 07:31 AM   #64
wave_crusher
I'll Direc your TV
 
wave_crusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-20-09
Location: Alpena, MI
Posts: 8,152
iTrader: (23)
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrgunn5150 View Post
I understand all these things, I don't understand how this equals an unlivable planet. I'm willing to bet most people easily adapt to whatever the new norm is. Even if Miami is gone.
You asked how 2c of temperature increase affects the planet. and you don't care because we'll adapt? We can only adapt so far, for one thing.

Where will all the people from the coastal cities move to? What if LA was completely evacuated; where else has the infrastructure to handle 4 million people? Even if say 1/3 of them perish, that's still over 2 million people. Even if they scatter to different parts; no where else can handle that influx of people all at once.

The point is, everything gets smaller, food supply, livable area, available resources...everything. Then because we haven't changed anything, the temp keeps rising and so on, so on.

Your response just blows my mind. Fawk the planet cause it wont be that bad?
__________________
-2011 Ford Fusion SEL 3.0L
-2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.7L 65th Annv.
-1996 Chevrolet K1500 5.7L Vortec- Dirty mall queen
wave_crusher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2019, 08:17 AM   #65
roll-bar Bob
Senior Member
 
roll-bar Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-20-06
Location: M CITY
Posts: 3,388
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

THE SKY IS FALLING !!!! THE SKY IS FALLING !!!!!

I do have helmets for sale !


RBB
roll-bar Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2019, 08:20 AM   #66
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 29,348
iTrader: (25)
Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Default

I understand that 2d of temp change will impact things. But do we really know how steady state the planet has been for the past million years? We only started recording data a couple hundred years ago, and even then, how accurate was that equipment and were the current temps at a high or low end of a cycle?

Here is another thing I find interesting, if the government (at any level; local, state, fed) was all that concerned about carbon emissions, why don't they stop lighting parking lots and intersections all night long. It cracks me up that expressway exchanges are all lit up in every city in the country but none of them are lit up in the country. Do we REALLY need to light them?

And while I'm at it, why do we need to burn fossil fuels to mow the median on expressway, especially out in BFE? Do you really care that the median is mowed as you pass by Birch Run on your way north?
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2019, 08:28 AM   #67
roll-bar Bob
Senior Member
 
roll-bar Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-20-06
Location: M CITY
Posts: 3,388
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
I understand that 2d of temp change will impact things. But do we really know how steady state the planet has been for the past million years? We only started recording data a couple hundred years ago, and even then, how accurate was that equipment and were the current temps at a high or low end of a cycle?

Here is another thing I find interesting, if the government (at any level; local, state, fed) was all that concerned about carbon emissions, why don't they stop lighting parking lots and intersections all night long. It cracks me up that expressway exchanges are all lit up in every city in the country but none of them are lit up in the country. Do we REALLY need to light them?

And while I'm at it, why do we need to burn fossil fuels to mow the median on expressway, especially out in BFE? Do you really care that the median is mowed as you pass by Birch Run on your way north?

Jim, you are looking for logic where emotion and fear rule the day.
roll-bar Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2019, 08:48 AM   #68
bbaXJ
Yooper In Training
 
bbaXJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-29-06
Location: Fowlertucky, MI
Posts: 6,808
iTrader: (66)
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to bbaXJ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrgunn5150 View Post
Again... I'll ask... What do you think you're going to do?
To change the planet's temperature all by myself? Little to nothing. To take care of my own environmental impact, clean up after myself, try and recycle, upcycle, generally leave the planet cleaner than when I got here, and not be an ignorant,arrogant asshat about the entire situation of what we're all doing to the place we live? A lot. You're either part of the problem or part of the solution. Since by nature we're all part of the problem, I try to do some simple, easy, consistent things to try and minimize my own impact and become closer to being part of the solution. I'm far from perfect, but I'm a helluva lot better than the idiots throwing their hands up and saying "fuck it, there's nothing I can do to stop it, so might as well make it worse in style".

I'm talking environmental impact here, not just climate change. Climate change, or more accurately additional human impact to existing climate change, is just one small piece of the puzzle of the shitshow of destruction we're forcing on this planet. I won't bother repeating the very well put explanations and examples that @wave_crusher has already stated. Just read those. Maybe try reading them 5-10 times since it clearly went over your head the first go around.
bbaXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2019, 10:20 AM   #69
Jrgunn5150
Senior Member
 
Jrgunn5150's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-13-10
Location: Ionia Michigan
Posts: 2,082
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zjman View Post
If you were diagnosed with cancer would you seek treatment or just let nature take its course? Cause ur gonna die eventually right no matter what


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Ok, so we're clear now, you have no plan, you just want to DO SOMETHING.

There are many practical things that can be done, should be done, etc etc. Planting trees, seeding algae, conserving fuel, using renewable energy sources all reasonable steps to take.

There are many more impractical thing's being suggested and thrown about. Banning air travel, forcing mass transit, rebuilding every house in the country, killing cows... All a bit silly.

Most people suggesting we DO SOMETHING, don't really have an idea of what to do, which basically means the can be led around by the nose.

The problem is, the practical things, if the worst case scenarios are true, won't save anyone or anything. All these evil things are still going to happen. And life will still roll on, crops will grow farther north, people will move inland, and life will go on.

Since you've admitted, life will go on, and you have no real plan to actually stop the changes and hold things as they are currently, maybe we can stop trying to act like the sky is falling and the planet will be uninhabitable. But probably not.
Jrgunn5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2019, 10:22 AM   #70
Cool Hand Luke
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 01-29-14
Location: Pabst Palace
Posts: 906
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaXJ View Post
To change the planet's temperature all by myself? Little to nothing. To take care of my own environmental impact, clean up after myself, try and recycle, upcycle, generally leave the planet cleaner than when I got here, and not be an ignorant,arrogant asshat about the entire situation of what we're all doing to the place we live? A lot. You're either part of the problem or part of the solution. Since by nature we're all part of the problem, I try to do some simple, easy, consistent things to try and minimize my own impact and become closer to being part of the solution. I'm far from perfect, but I'm a helluva lot better than the idiots throwing their hands up and saying "fuck it, there's nothing I can do to stop it, so might as well make it worse in style".

I'm talking environmental impact here, not just climate change. Climate change, or more accurately additional human impact to existing climate change, is just one small piece of the puzzle of the shitshow of destruction we're forcing on this planet. I won't bother repeating the very well put explanations and examples that @wave_crusher has already stated. Just read those. Maybe try reading them 5-10 times since it clearly went over your head the first go around.
I agree with this 100 times over
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2019, 10:51 AM   #71
wave_crusher
I'll Direc your TV
 
wave_crusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-20-09
Location: Alpena, MI
Posts: 8,152
iTrader: (23)
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
You must have compared notes with Al Gore. He predicted the same in global cooling mini ice age which never happened.
I remember the 70"s when that was the big scare. We had plenty of snow and colder than normal winters.
The 80's and 90's there was acid rain and global warming.
Now in order to cover all the bases they call it climate change.
Volcano's cause more damage than man can do.
The United States has cleaned up on the pollution from manufacturing plants and such but in the same other countries such as China, India and other countries picking up the pace to manufacture and which there are almost zero controls having to do with pollution.
There was ice age when we were the big polluters and now that other countries are the big polluters we have climate change.
I don't by into the whole climate change global warming craze.
We are moving into a cooling trend. In the past 2 years NASA reported that temps have dropped by .56 c.
Sure, blow of what me, along with thousands of other much smarter people than you and I saying that exact same thing.

This is a problem because there literally is everything you're saying doesn't exist. There is acid rain; look at half of California. There is global warming, and that fact that you keep referring to colder than normal temps means you have zero idea what changes global warming makes. Learn how temperature is affected by ocean currents, and what raising the sea levels does to currents. What raises the sea level? Oh right, melting permafrost and glaciers; what melts permafrost and glaciers? Oh right, warming temps.


You and everyone else keep quoting the radical crazy fuckers that keep saying that we're all gonna die in 6 years cause of pollution. It is a problem, it is happening right now, and quoting nonsense information and not understanding the WHY, is why this shit keeping happening and nothing really changes to help fix it.

Climate change, global warming, pollution, green-house gasses, all exist. They're all a problem. Saying they're not is what's the bigger problem. They're not as big a problem right now as the radical crazy fuckers keep saying, but they will be unless something changes.
__________________
-2011 Ford Fusion SEL 3.0L
-2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.7L 65th Annv.
-1996 Chevrolet K1500 5.7L Vortec- Dirty mall queen
wave_crusher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2019, 10:58 AM   #72
wave_crusher
I'll Direc your TV
 
wave_crusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-20-09
Location: Alpena, MI
Posts: 8,152
iTrader: (23)
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
I understand that 2d of temp change will impact things. But do we really know how steady state the planet has been for the past million years? We only started recording data a couple hundred years ago, and even then, how accurate was that equipment and were the current temps at a high or low end of a cycle?

Here is another thing I find interesting, if the government (at any level; local, state, fed) was all that concerned about carbon emissions, why don't they stop lighting parking lots and intersections all night long. It cracks me up that expressway exchanges are all lit up in every city in the country but none of them are lit up in the country. Do we REALLY need to light them?

And while I'm at it, why do we need to burn fossil fuels to mow the median on expressway, especially out in BFE? Do you really care that the median is mowed as you pass by Birch Run on your way north?
None of that needs to be done. That's another problem; all the unnecessary things that people have convinced themselves needs to be done is what's causing the increased changes at rates that can't be adapted too. All that little stuff is what i'm arguing against, what do we really need to do, what don't we really need to do. But people will bitch and complain "because it looks bad".

My issue is the government doesn't really give a flying fawk. If they actually did, this wouldn't be an issue. However, like everything else, they're in it for the money. They mow what doesn't need to be mowed because if they didn't the residents would get pissed and vote new people in, or vote people out, or loose tax money....etc etc. The government is the best entitity of walking the fine line between getting money from big corporations that dont' want green energy or pollution control, and doing just enough that the everyday citizen things they're moving towards "green" policies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll-bar Bob View Post
Jim, you are looking for logic where emotion and fear rule the day.
Emotion and Fear are what run the crazies that keep predicting the end of the world every 3 years. Logic is understanding that a problem exist and a level that most people could care less about because it doesn't really affect them enough to actually care. Times that by a couple billion people, and nobody really does anything.
__________________
-2011 Ford Fusion SEL 3.0L
-2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.7L 65th Annv.
-1996 Chevrolet K1500 5.7L Vortec- Dirty mall queen
wave_crusher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2019, 11:31 AM   #73
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 29,348
iTrader: (25)
Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave_crusher View Post
None of that needs to be done. .
Sure it does. You start with the simple stuff that is easy and keep working towards the hard stuff. Want to show me you care? Do the same thing Mom wanted you to do........ turn off the lights when you don't need them. It saves energy and cuts down on the light bill.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2019, 11:32 AM   #74
brewmenn
Mr. Special Snowflake.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 12,531
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
If there was a hint of this happening people would be selling off all the waterfront property and moving to the mountains and I don't see that happening anytime soon.
What I have noticed is that farmers are growing some veggies in greenhouses. They have control over pests and basically the weather. I don't see your scenario coming true in our future.
Measuring ocean levels is easy and has been done for over 100 years. There is indisputable facts that ocean level are raising, and raising at an increasing rate. Currently they are not raising so fast that you'll wake up tomorrow and be flooded out, so you could buy and enjoy that oceanfront property for the rest of your life, just don't plan on your great grandchildren being able to hand it over to their children.

The increase in greenhouses you're seeing is because people are willing to pay extra for veggies out of season. But it would not be feasible to build enough green houses to grow all of what we eat.
brewmenn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2019, 11:37 AM   #75
brewmenn
Mr. Special Snowflake.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 12,531
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
I understand that 2d of temp change will impact things. But do we really know how steady state the planet has been for the past million years? We only started recording data a couple hundred years ago, and even then, how accurate was that equipment and were the current temps at a high or low end of a cycle?

Here is another thing I find interesting, if the government (at any level; local, state, fed) was all that concerned about carbon emissions, why don't they stop lighting parking lots and intersections all night long. It cracks me up that expressway exchanges are all lit up in every city in the country but none of them are lit up in the country. Do we REALLY need to light them?

And while I'm at it, why do we need to burn fossil fuels to mow the median on expressway, especially out in BFE? Do you really care that the median is mowed as you pass by Birch Run on your way north?
I've long wondered why they do that stuff. Let it grow. Plant more trees. turn off some of those lights.
brewmenn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2019, 11:38 AM   #76
brewmenn
Mr. Special Snowflake.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 12,531
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
Sure it does. You start with the simple stuff that is easy and keep working towards the hard stuff. Want to show me you care? Do the same thing Mom wanted you to do........ turn off the lights when you don't need them. It saves energy and cuts down on the light bill.
Yes father.
brewmenn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2019, 11:44 AM   #77
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 29,348
iTrader: (25)
Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Default

whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2019, 11:59 AM   #78
wave_crusher
I'll Direc your TV
 
wave_crusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-20-09
Location: Alpena, MI
Posts: 8,152
iTrader: (23)
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
Sure it does. You start with the simple stuff that is easy and keep working towards the hard stuff. Want to show me you care? Do the same thing Mom wanted you to do........ turn off the lights when you don't need them. It saves energy and cuts down on the light bill.
I meant none of that needs to be done as in agreeing with you. Stop doing it lol
__________________
-2011 Ford Fusion SEL 3.0L
-2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.7L 65th Annv.
-1996 Chevrolet K1500 5.7L Vortec- Dirty mall queen
wave_crusher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2019, 12:06 PM   #79
roll-bar Bob
Senior Member
 
roll-bar Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-20-06
Location: M CITY
Posts: 3,388
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

only have two helmets left get them for your family right now


RBB
roll-bar Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2019, 02:12 PM   #80
bbaXJ
Yooper In Training
 
bbaXJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-29-06
Location: Fowlertucky, MI
Posts: 6,808
iTrader: (66)
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to bbaXJ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll-bar Bob View Post
only have two helmets left get them for your family right now


RBB
Half the people commenting here don't need helmets, they've got nothing to lose.
bbaXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
moving battery to the back ...what size cable? laxman1306 General Tech 17 April 29th, 2018 08:56 AM
Look out halfgassed is back! halfgassed The Pub 26 April 8th, 2017 06:06 AM
Misc Jeep Part(s) SOLD 17x9, 5 on 4.5, 5.6" back space, american outlaw buckshots joe_jeep Parts for sale 5 June 30th, 2015 02:31 PM
K5 Blazer/Jimmy high back seats wrath Wanted 2 June 4th, 2015 07:45 AM
Northern Michigan to Nashville Ten. and back leaving friday compauto Parts Transfer and Delivery 0 May 3rd, 2015 07:12 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:47 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
 
Page generated in 0.72451 seconds with 85 queries