Been making some panels lately... - Page 10 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old October 3rd, 2016, 10:35 AM   #181
Deuling
Sand Slut
 
Deuling's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-22-13
Location: Muskegon MI
Posts: 1,522
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Default

Thanks guys. I figure its a better use of my time than pokemon, or smoking crack.
Deuling is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old October 3rd, 2016, 11:56 AM   #182
Lousypirate
Whoop Whoop
 
Lousypirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-11-08
Location: Marne 49435
Posts: 17,132
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuling View Post
Thanks guys. I figure its a better use of my time than pokemon, or smoking crack.
tough call.
__________________



The Kernel (46 CJ2a)

Mary Jane
Lousypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 12:15 PM   #183
Sandals
Fucking Zen as Shit
 
Sandals's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Antioch, IL
Posts: 16,076
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Default

Hella impressed that you rolled that bear.

I don't even know how one would begin with something like that lol
Sandals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 12:43 PM   #184
Deuling
Sand Slut
 
Deuling's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-22-13
Location: Muskegon MI
Posts: 1,522
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandals View Post
Hella impressed that you rolled that bear.

I don't even know how one would begin with something like that lol
Thanks! Its the most small detailed piece I have done so far.

I used like 5 different die setups, and probably did 10 or more passes on every line. Scarring it first with a steel tipping die, really brings out a lot more detail yet.

Now I gotta figure out what to do with it. The majority of people are really creeped out by it. I thought it was pretty cool lol.

Last edited by Deuling; October 3rd, 2016 at 01:07 PM.
Deuling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 06:26 PM   #185
Deuling
Sand Slut
 
Deuling's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-22-13
Location: Muskegon MI
Posts: 1,522
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lousypirate View Post
tough call.
I could beadroll a pikachu. But nerds are probably poor.

Or maybe not...
Deuling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 07:07 PM   #186
tweak177
Say what?!?
 
tweak177's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-19-06
Location: White Lake
Posts: 2,864
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuling View Post
I could beadroll a pikachu. But nerds are probably poor.

Or maybe not...
You would think since Bernie supporters live in their parents basement they should have some money.
tweak177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 07:08 PM   #187
tweak177
Say what?!?
 
tweak177's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-19-06
Location: White Lake
Posts: 2,864
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Awesome work btw! You definitely have some talent.
tweak177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 07:21 PM   #188
Deuling
Sand Slut
 
Deuling's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-22-13
Location: Muskegon MI
Posts: 1,522
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweak177 View Post
Awesome work btw! You definitely have some talent.
Thanks!

Im bummed that its been so long since I have actually rolled anything. Been a crazy busy summer.

This fall and winter should get me back in the swing of things though.
Deuling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 08:24 PM   #189
jeepfreak81
81 inches of fun
 
jeepfreak81's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-10-05
Location: Lennon, Mi
Posts: 14,063
iTrader: (25)
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jeepfreak81 Send a message via MSN to jeepfreak81 Send a message via Yahoo to jeepfreak81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuling View Post
Thanks! Its the most small detailed piece I have done so far.

I used like 5 different die setups, and probably did 10 or more passes on every line. Scarring it first with a steel tipping die, really brings out a lot more detail yet.

Now I gotta figure out what to do with it. The majority of people are really creeped out by it. I thought it was pretty cool lol.
Doolie, your new mascot and shop logo...

Honestly, for as much time as you have in it it may be hard to make a profit, but it is badass.
jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2016, 08:20 AM   #190
Deuling
Sand Slut
 
Deuling's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-22-13
Location: Muskegon MI
Posts: 1,522
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepfreak81 View Post
Doolie, your new mascot and shop logo...

Honestly, for as much time as you have in it it may be hard to make a profit, but it is badass.
Even if I don't make a ton on them per hour of work. It is at least work that I very much enjoy.

If I have 4-5 hours into that, and sell it for $120, I wont be too heartbroken. It wasn't something someone requested me to make. It was something I wanted to make, and I have found doing things that way, is hard to make money on. I have a basement full of panels to show for that.

A big issue is the people that want something like that made for $20.
Yet I have spent 4-5k in tools this year just to be able to make it.
Deuling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2016, 08:52 AM   #191
BlooMule
Old School
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: far from the shithole
Posts: 32,935
iTrader: (15)
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuling View Post
A big issue is the people that want something like that made for $20.
Yet I have spent 4-5k in tools this year just to be able to make it.
This.

I have nowhere near the skills or equipment, just a cheap HF bead roller, but I made up some floor patches for my old van. Some other folks wanted to know if I would make them some as well, and when I told them it was $20 for the material and about 3 - 4 hours time invested, so about $100 each- all of a sudden they were fine with patching their floor with old stop signs.
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2016, 10:10 AM   #192
Deuling
Sand Slut
 
Deuling's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-22-13
Location: Muskegon MI
Posts: 1,522
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlooMule View Post
This.

I have nowhere near the skills or equipment, just a cheap HF bead roller, but I made up some floor patches for my old van. Some other folks wanted to know if I would make them some as well, and when I told them it was $20 for the material and about 3 - 4 hours time invested, so about $100 each- all of a sudden they were fine with patching their floor with old stop signs.
Yup.

That is why I now just let people come to me. I can give a reasonable time frame and cost before I ever invest any real time into it.

But sometimes you gotta just make some stuff you want to make and know it will probably not sell for what it should. Oh well, I enjoy it, and its not crack.
Deuling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2016, 11:58 AM   #193
jbsjunk
Little Member
 
jbsjunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-01-08
Location: Saugatuck
Posts: 23,796
iTrader: (36)
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Default

I pay for talent I don't have. Don't give your services away. Tools cost money.
jbsjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2016, 12:35 PM   #194
Deuling
Sand Slut
 
Deuling's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-22-13
Location: Muskegon MI
Posts: 1,522
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsjunk View Post
I pay for talent I don't have. Don't give your services away. Tools cost money.
Want a creepy bear?
Deuling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2016, 12:38 PM   #195
BlooMule
Old School
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: far from the shithole
Posts: 32,935
iTrader: (15)
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsjunk View Post
I pay for talent I don't have..
Hookers?
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2016, 12:42 PM   #196
jeepfreak81
81 inches of fun
 
jeepfreak81's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-10-05
Location: Lennon, Mi
Posts: 14,063
iTrader: (25)
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jeepfreak81 Send a message via MSN to jeepfreak81 Send a message via Yahoo to jeepfreak81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuling View Post
Even if I don't make a ton on them per hour of work. It is at least work that I very much enjoy.

If I have 4-5 hours into that, and sell it for $120, I wont be too heartbroken. It wasn't something someone requested me to make. It was something I wanted to make, and I have found doing things that way, is hard to make money on. I have a basement full of panels to show for that.

A big issue is the people that want something like that made for $20.
Yet I have spent 4-5k in tools this year just to be able to make it.
That looked like far more than 4-5 hours work to me

I understand your position though in that regard.
jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2016, 01:32 PM   #197
Deuling
Sand Slut
 
Deuling's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-22-13
Location: Muskegon MI
Posts: 1,522
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepfreak81 View Post
That looked like far more than 4-5 hours work to me

I understand your position though in that regard.
I honestly made it over multiple days in the shop over the last few months. I was just guessing. Its probably more like 8.

I don't actually keep track of my time when im just practicing. Probably should though.
Deuling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2016, 02:09 PM   #198
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 29,348
iTrader: (25)
Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Default

The bear is very cool. I had a CNC router for years. People could never understand that for a simple sign I would have an hour or more of CAD design, and at least that in setup and machining a one off piece. Then material, sand stain and paint so I would want $75 or more and they would think it's worth $20.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2016, 07:26 PM   #199
Deuling
Sand Slut
 
Deuling's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-22-13
Location: Muskegon MI
Posts: 1,522
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
The bear is very cool. I had a CNC router for years. People could never understand that for a simple sign I would have an hour or more of CAD design, and at least that in setup and machining a one off piece. Then material, sand stain and paint so I would want $75 or more and they would think it's worth $20.
Yup. I have been told "but I could just go to walmart and buy one of those made out of plastic for $5", to which I replied, then go buy the shitty plastic one, I dont care...

One thing im bad at including into cost is that I do layouts alot with my vinyl cutter (which cost money) and i probably half a half hour or more into design and actual vinyl work on most every sign.
Deuling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2016, 12:55 PM   #200
Deuling
Sand Slut
 
Deuling's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-22-13
Location: Muskegon MI
Posts: 1,522
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Default

Next paneling project.

Deep breath...













Deuling is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
12V Unlimited.com switch panels firehawk Miscellaneous items 5 January 1st, 2016 06:07 PM
jeep half door panels wanted or trade for my tan set Glenns.garage Wanted 0 December 5th, 2015 08:49 PM
'97-01 Jeep Cherokee front door interior panels Chelsea-vong Wanted 4 September 24th, 2015 12:12 PM
tj full door interior panels hoyt5885 Wanted 4 May 1st, 2015 05:55 PM
TJ Door Panels bbaXJ Wanted 1 December 2nd, 2014 08:02 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
 
Page generated in 3.18943 seconds with 86 queries