Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Johnny's GoatBuilt JHF buggy build

179K views 986 replies 64 participants last post by  xj4life 
#1 · (Edited)
At post 110 I changed my mind and decided I would build a buggy instead of the Wag. The Wag continues to wait for it's next build.

At post 187 I ordered up a GoatBuilt JHF chassis to hopefully speed this up. (edit: nope)

Current Build plan:
GoatBuilt JHF Chassis, 108" wheelbase, "jeep" hood and grille
2007 Ford F250 Dana 60, 5.38, Sparty locker, JHF high-steer
- narrowed 4" to use 78 F250 axleshaft on the long side, using factory 1550 shafts
1998 Chevy K3500 14-bolt, shaved, 5.38, Detroit, 1/2t chevy disc brakes
39" BFG Krawler Red labels on KMC Machete Beadlocks
2001 GMC Yukon XL 6.0L LQ4
  • Holley TerminatorX EFI
  • Champ oil pan (high-ish clearance, baffled, steel)
  • Dorman LS2 car intake and Warr cable throttle body
  • Holley fuel rails with late-model 6.0 truck injectors (EV6, E85 flow rates, 12613412)
  • Goatbuilt accessory brackets, TC pump on driver's side, alt on passenger
  • GM 706 heads
  • BTR Truck Norris cam
TH400 built by Tranny Tom, Reverse Manual with Winters/WOD shifter
Atlas transfer case, 3.0 low range
Fox 2.5 air shocks
PSC Full Hydro, 2.5x10" ram, TC-pump
Mastercraft cheap seats with Impact 5-point harnesses
Griffin 31x19 radiator, Derale 16927 shroud and twin fans
Goatbuilt fuel tank and factory fuel pump
Magnaflow muffler mpe-12649

==================

I bought my Wagoneer in 1997. It was my first 4x4 and I bought it so that me and my friends could go camping and have room for our gear since we all drove econoboxes. That fall I ended up moving to Germany for 18 months and it went into storage.

When I got back I rebuilt the AMC 360 with the help of a friend, and we did enough maintenance on the rest to get it on the road. Over the next few years it got a 4" lift and went from 31s and then 35s when I put a 3" body lift. We did some wheeling with it and eventually I put it on 33 Stampers from my old Wrangler.

In around 2005 it was parked due to lack of time and using any spare time on my Wrangler. A few years later we stole the drive train for the TREC Wagoneer, and it has sat since.

Over the summer I got out of racing, bought a RZR and drug this back in the shop. I'm thinking I want to get it back on the road and trails.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

See less See more
#106 ·
View attachment 239977

Getting closer to coming out. Plan to pull intake to make it easier to unhook all the stuff in back of it. Should also make it easier to chain up and pull the power train.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Go to harbor freight and buy a carb lift plate if u oval out the two back holes it lines up to the bolts on the valley plate. Makes it super easy to lift.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

#110 · (Edited)
Last night I bought some used 2.5x14 Fox Air Shocks. It looks like the Wagoneer is going to return to the bottom of the list to get worked on.

Next up is to figure out how much tube I think I need build a buggy...

6.0/4L80E/NP205
05+ Super Duty D60
2.5x14 Fox Air Shocks

I'll continue watching for 39 red Krawlers and beadlocks, and the million other small parts.

Rear axle will either be 14-bolt, 10.25, or re-use 60 hubs and build a full-float 9".

#116 ·
Fox 2.5x14 air shocks I bought used off pirate4x4 showed up over the weekend. They look to be in good shape. Obviously not from Michigan.

I spent some time looking at np205 to 4L80E mounting. Finally found what I was looking for tonight.

http://www.hardlinecrawlers.com/forums/index.php?topic=38276.0

From what I can gather, the 4L80E/NP208 (and/or np241) have cast iron adapter. My adapter is aluminum but based on internet measurements of the cast iron, I think they are the same thickness; or I may need want/need a clocking ring. I think what I'll do is buy the short input and clocking ring and see where I land.

I priced out an Atlas and it's $2500 before shipping, so I feel I have some budget to play with before I kick myself for not going that route.

#119 ·
Good bit more money, but take a look at a Hero case with an offset rear output and then build that 609 rear you mentioned. Then you'd have both diffs tucked in by the tires and have the drive shafts protected. Plus you wouldn't ever have to worry about the tcase its self.

They don't list it on their site, but mention it here. Post 17

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gene...-worthy-fab-builds-new-6x6-transfer-case.html

#117 ·
Awww I was hoping to see this finished! I remember the first time you did a build on it.....when misfits was a busy site! We've all been there....project car hell.....SQUIRREL!

Excuse my ignorance, I have not researched 4l80 swaps but wouldn't a th400 208 adapter be the same as a 4l80/241?

#125 · (Edited)
Yep, I took 2" off the casting like the artec trusses call for. Still not sure if I will buy one of their setups or go another route.

In typical fashion, I started just cleaning the housing where I planned to cut, and then I decided to just after the whole housing with a wire wheel and used the needle scaler in the places I couldn't reach.

I marked a line 2" around and then used the portaband to cut around the circumference. I tried to figure out how thick the housing was, and buried the blade about the same amount.

Then I used cut off wheel on bottom to remove lower pieces and hide any sins from cutting too deep. I tried to prevent cutting into the housing with my cross cuts, and to make it so a piece would pop, I cut a short segment about 1/2" offset inside my final cut line. The spot was where the cut off disk had't cut all the way across. This allowed me to pop that piece out, and from there I work at it with the hammer and chisel.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

#128 ·
I'm going to pick up a Yukon 4340. I'm chewing on do I go with a 78 F250 at 34.55" or K30 at 35.08". For the $200, it's not worth paying shipping there and back plus the fee to cut.

The Chevy shaft should put the WMS at 68.2", and the Ford is 67.625". The 1/2" difference isn't much, but I can stop by Bronco Graveyard at lunch since it's a 15 minute drive and pick up the Ford shaft. They won't sell non-ford stuff...I've tried.

If I call and they have in stock, I'm sure instant gratification will win out.