Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Murphy, the B2 build

88K views 678 replies 63 participants last post by  Kyle M. 
#1 · (Edited)
This is my next build, 86 B2. It's rough, but I'm gonna save it for my wife and kids to ride in.

Plans are to remove old lift and axles, remove body lift, install full width 44 and 8.8, 4.88 gears and lockers, simple leafs and coils with extended and heimed radius arms. Gonna stretch it to about 100" wheel base. Wanting to run a 37" or so tire. And going to build custom bumpers, sliders and maybe a simple interior cage.

Progress should start this weekend.

See less See more
#86 ·
The one side has 2.125" of thread engagement, and is welded on the backside of the insert. Jam nut won't do me any good on that side. If it pulls out, I have bigger things to worry about.

Weak link or not, I'm secure with what I did.

The adjustability will be nice if I need it.

#95 · (Edited)
Got the front stripped, axle positioned

Built the start of my 3 link, transmission crossmember, the center is removable for the trans

Set the wheel base at 100", pushed the front to the limits I think with the factory steering box.

Shot of the tire in the wheel well

Once I get the body lift out I think it will be a nice height too.

#98 ·
While setting up the axle yesterday I set the driverside to negative 5* caster and noticed the passenger side didn't match. Look like it is twisted forward almost 10*

You can see it looking at how the tierod mounts line up

Debating on how to fix it. My first thought is wondering how it twisted, thinking at the pig, so I was thinking I should try and twist it back and then truss it. Second thought is to just truss it, build it, mount it up, then cut the welds at the c and twist that back and weld it back up.

Thoughts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.