Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

You sold your toys for what ?????

97K views 649 replies 57 participants last post by  bbaXJ 
#1 · (Edited)
So I SOLD all my toys to come up with the down payment on this Shit box and the 92 Acres it is setting on. The owner owned it just for the hunting and rented the house out over the past 31 years to say the inside was in need of some up dates would be an under statement.

I Still have a long ways to go but we are getting there

See less See more
#108 ·
Close to 500 square feet of sheet rock on Saturday :woot:

Up and Down and Up and Down the latter :thumb:

I did not get a ton of photos but I got a few :naughty:

we will start with my helpers :woot:

Starting to look like something :thumb:

Look what I Found hanging in the back yard :naughty:

Place your bets :rock:
Which one is the first to get wet :teehee:

Another great weekend :woot:

RBB

#116 ·
So a previous handyman replaced a few boards on the front porch the problem with his handy work was in order for him to remove the floor board he used a skill saw to make a relief cut through the floor board and part way into the floor stringers :fish: this explains why the front porch floor felt like a diving board. :(

The real bitch of the job was the floor was too high to reach buy laying on your back and it was to short to setup and work this made a 30 minute job take 2 hours. :whiz:

I added a couple stringers to offset the load :thumb:

Fun time at the house last night :woot:

#122 ·
Looks good. We're just getting started on our addition here. Adding 1000 sqft and a attached garage. That's a lot of drywall mud to be putting on in order to paint in a couple days. Good luck. I don't see any adhesive behind the drywall? Is there a reason your not using any. Also my drywall guy would cringe at all those screws you used to hold them on. Lots of mud work. That's one job I leave to the guys that do it for a living.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#124 ·
My drywall guy that I have used for years uses a small amount of construction adhesive with half the amount of screws I see in your pics. The reason for it is the more screws you put in the more the drywall is trying to follow the path of every stud. Especially when you use a lot of screws. Fewer screws with adhesive behind will make and keep a straighter looking wall with less mud work. He also places stringers on top of all walls to attach drywall to. He only attaches drywall to the stringers on the outside edges of the walls and will only attach drywall to the trusses in the center of the drywall. It keeps the corners from cracking.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#125 ·
Yes we are Screwed and glued :woot: I use the same number of screws as I would without the glue as I love overkill :thumb: I run a bead of glue down each stud right before final placement it is a huge pain in the ass but i have been told that is how they do things these days :confused:

Just for fun I took a quarter size glob of the glue on two scrap chunks of drywall stuck them back to back after drying the paper literally tour off the back of the small chunk when separating :thumb:

I am no pro :( but I get it on the wall and my mud guy makes it look good :woot:

RBB

#137 ·
So the Cantilevered window extension in the dining room was never properly framed instead of ordering longer floor stringers they added 2 feet to each one buy just nailing more stringer on but with only a 1 foot over lap :( Over the past 100 years the outside wall dropped 1.25 inches and it was time for a wall lift :rock:

I doubled up 2x6s six feet long and stuffed them in the floor and jacked it back up with a 4 ton floor jack :thumb: This caused considerable amounts of noise but it is not going anywhere now :woot:

Meanwhile the wife was playing Cinderella with her little bucket Scrubby :thumb: Scrubby :thumb: Scrubby :thumb:

Ordered some more toys this weekend :woot:

and started some minor patching and wall prep :thumb:

all in all another fun weekend at the farm along with 4 hours of mowing both places :(

RBB