Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Milliennials

13K views 197 replies 34 participants last post by  CSFJ 
#1 ·
Watched this video on Facebook, found it on youtube for the non-facebooks among us.

Pretty interesting watch; I think it explains the millennial views quite nicely. It's about 15 minutes, but if you at least watch the first 5, you'll get the idea and the main points.

#7 ·
Yea, I would definitely not say anyone born in the 80's is a millennial. Other than that, I like what he says

Though, I was born in 88; I think probably 1990+ or so would be considered one

#10 ·
Millennials were born around 1980, it means you became an adult during the new millennial. So that puts the end probably around 1995/2000 range. We have some freshmen and high school co-ops at work. I'm still trying to figure them out, they ain't Millennials.

It annoys me when millennials don't own up or claim to be one. All they are doing is stigmatizing the word more. GenXers and baby boomers keep using the term in a derogatory fashion like honky, ***, *****, whore, etc.

That's why if you are a millennial own that shit, so people know not all millennials are useless. Just because you don't live in parents basement and don't have 80k in student debt, doesn't mean you aren't part of that generation.

#54 ·
Hi I'm a millennial, I better be able to buy a $30k truck with no money down and pay $50 a month at 0% interest and spend all my money on tow mirrors and flat billed hats or I'm going to tell my dad. Oh and don't worry, I got a trophy for being 7th place in my 5th grade spelling bee so I know I'm special. I don't see why I can't have college for free, smoke dope all I want and get paid $15 a hour to sit on my ass and dick off for eight hours. I mean, work is work right? I'm here, I showed up on time-ish, I should get paid what I want because I'm special.

Fuck my generation, a bunch of pussies is what they all are.

#62 ·
I'm the beginning of the millennials. Sadly, what this guy is talking about has some merit. The reason "the millennial problem" making more headway these days is that pretty much all of the millennials are in the workforce today (of ones that can get their sorry ass off instagram long enough to navigate out of their mom's basement) in some fashion and they outnumber the baby boomers. Soon, it will be millennials running companies and not "the veterans", "the baby boomers", or "the latchkey kids/generation x". And it's pretty scary.

I have quite a few people that are around my age that work for me, and a few that are quite a bit younger than me... and some Generation X, and some baby boomers. My group is an anomaly as most of the company is older Generation X, baby boomers, or a fresh out of college. Few people stick around because of the sense that you are paid based on longevity not skill or performance.

I would say if people have a problem with Generation Y/millennials... jesus fscking christ are Generation Z a treat.

And I have never seen such a sense of entitlement than that I have out of Generation X. Generation Y may feel that they are entitled to a job that *they* think is meaningful and be given the opportunity to make what *they* think is an impact but that same mentality is employed by many Generation X. It's just with Generation X that they seem to believe that because they did make an impact once upon a time that they can sit on their asses and drag their feet talking about the great work they did and still get more than a cost of living adjustment. I have never stumbled upon such a large group of people that are so overconfident in my life. Some of them think because "they grew up with computers" that they aren't going to be made obsolete by some 17 year old high school student that can move pixels faster and more efficiently while playing games on steam.

#65 ·
I think it's a more complex issue than most people think, and most millennials aren't as bad as the stereotype makes them look. Social media, the internet, and the mainstream media have given the morons and slackers a bigger voice than they ever had in the past. That doesn't mean there are more of them. There very well may be more, I don't know, but it's certainly not the majority of the generation like most people perceive.

Technically I'm a millennial, born in 84, been working since I was 10 or so, went to college for a useful degree(was fortunate to have majority of school paid for by smart investments by my parents when my grandpa died when I was 3), got a job, been working my way upward ever since. I started working just as the recession hit the auto industry, so I spent the first 3-4 years of my career wondering if I was going to have a job the following week. Through hard work and probably crappy pay I survived it while watching many of my coworkers get laid off. Due to the financial uncertainty I lived with my parents longer than I had planned, and I admittedly milked it too long and spent too much on Jeep parts when I should have been saving. Live and learn. I'm 32, have a beautiful house, minimal debt, lots of toys, and hate the stereotypical millennials, but I also realize that they're not the majority.

One thing that also gets overlooked far too often by the people bitching about millennials is the world that we were forced to inherit. Many of us started our adult lives as the US was at the brink of economic collapse. Not helpful. Our parents, teachers, and advisors drove us to go to college, acquire staggering debt, and get degrees for jobs that weren't necessarily in demand by the time we got done. And no, I'm not talking about people who got useless liberal arts degrees, they're just dumb on their own. That's a different problem. College isn't for everyone, but that's not what we were all led to believe. Now there's a huge skills gaps while people work jobs they hate to pay debt they never should have gotten. Many of those people would be more happy, productive, and prosperous in a skilled trade. Cost of living vs income ratio is upside down compared to what our parents and grandparents had at our age. The government is more corrupt than ever. There are some legitimate hurdles facing this generation that others never had(yes, I realize they had others that we don't), the difference is that you hear the whiners a lot more now, but those of us who put our heads down and powered through to be successful aren't speaking up because we're too busy working. Black lives matter doesn't represent the majority of black people, ISIS doesn't represent the majority of Muslims, and whiny little entitled pukes don't represent the majority of millennials.

#66 ·
I think it's a more complex issue than most people think, and most millennials aren't as bad as the stereotype makes them look. Social media, the internet, and the mainstream media have given the morons and slackers a bigger voice than they ever had in the past. That doesn't mean there are more of them. There very well may be more, I don't know, but it's certainly not the majority of the generation like most people perceive.
That is a very good point.

#67 ·
It's perceptions. Maybe not all millennials are whiny little entitled pukes but there are a pervasive number of them. Just like deaf old baby boomers aren't all that ride Harley Davidson motorcycles, not just lesbians and metrolumberjackoffs drive Subarus, and not all iPhone users are iNcompetent.

There are a lot of whiny little entitled millennial vomit out there. Not sure if it's because there actually are more than historical or if it is because it's the first generation that has a huge safety net for when they get shitcanned from being whiny little entitled millennials so they are significantly more outspoken. I'm strongly leaning towards there not only being significantly more but they all have a voice that they feel entitled to use.

I had one of my millennials say to me shortly after he was hired "I'm a millennial, deal with it". I smiled and said "I am a millennial, and I will" with a shit eating grin.

#68 ·
The only thing pervasive amongst millennials, and I base this on my son's friends and stuff they post on facebook, is a lot of self pity. I have gotten to the point where I straight up tell them to their face "Do you honestly think life only sucks for your generation? At times, it sucks for everybody!"

I've been through a lot of shit, all it does is make me question my sanity for a bit, then gives me determination to push through.

#69 ·
I understand what you are talking about, but I really think it has to do with the wage gap and low wages vs the actual living cost. Some people are probably going to scream and tell me no, but from my understanding 30 years ago or so someone could work at a grocery store, restaurant, gas station, etc they could make enough to not live with their parents. Today Places might hire someone for 9/hr but have to limit their hours because they would have to provide health insurance. So someone would have to try and find 2 jobs willing to work with their schedule and depending on the city it would be hard to do because public transit sucks in this country. And they don't make enough to legally own a car.

Or in some cases also try to go to school to get one of the skilled trade jobs that people say is a solution. It's very unmotivating if you know you need 30k a year to survive and you can only find a way to make 20k.

#72 ·
When I was a kid I remember people would have pretty basic jobs but they lived, not saying they were going on vacation and eating tuna steaks, but they seemed to live A touch above poverty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.