Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Pellet stove say what! Learn me some please

22K views 161 replies 42 participants last post by  kmanxj5011 
#1 ·
Just like headless Ned said, winter is comming! I would like to stay warm. In my houses basement I have a previously drilled 6" hole through the concrete & brick wall and marks on the floor from some type of burner.

I thought about installing a wood burning stove in this spot but don't want an ugly chimney going up an odd side of the front of my house. Just dicking around I started looking at pellet burners and I have a few questions.

Is my understanding correct that almost no chimney and a vent type cover can be used with a pellet burner due to the higher efficiency combustion of the burning media? What the fuel consumption like for those that have one? My thoughts would be to heat my basement with the heater as to not Have to use so much fuel oil. Would a correctly sized unit :teehee: be able to heat about 2500 sq.ft. of house?

Just fact finding and exploring options :thumb:

#139 ·
we have that stove in our house. Works well and we like the large hopper and easy cleaning set-up. We did have to fix a couple things, but they were sensors like any heater has. Troubleshooting it was easy on you-tube and parts were cheap on egay. We just ran a jumper while the new parts were on there way....

#140 ·
I put a wood stove in the house last month. still need to plumb it into existing 6" chimney. I built a wood shed/lean to last weekend to. gonna start filling it with wood this weekend.

didnt like the idea of needing power to get heat. plus wood is free, and beer is good! ;)

#142 ·
I've bought my pellet stoves either through Craigslist or at auction. I'm getting ready to buy 6 tons of pellet soon, that should last me for the entire winter. I need to get a new control board for my pel pro stove, that has a 300 lb hopper, I might try running it in my house this winter and move the big E into the shop.

Pellet power!

#155 ·
I would like some input from you guys . I would like to put in a pellet stove but my wife wants one as an insert for the fireplace . I don't mind this at all but my fireplace box is really smallish and the walls V in as it gets to the back . Unless I'm missing something I can't find an insert that would fit from the specs I see on their websites . I don't mind putting a freestanding one in the right corner of our living room . I don't think it would look bad . I mainly want the cheaper heat than propane.:thumb: of course my wife hates the idea and thinks it would decrease the selling price of our house if we were to sell. What do you guys think? I envision myself trolling in front of the tv with a nice wood fire in the fireplace and the pellet stove cranking out heat on a snowy night!:sonicjay: tell me your opinions please!

Here is a pic of the living room

Here is the fireplace ,yeah I know it's dirty :sonicjay:

#157 ·
Prometheus Wood pellets pack a lot of punch in a small package. Made of compressed sawdust, they burn cleaner than traditional firewood. That's because they contain less moisture—typically between 3 and 8 percent compared with 20 to 50 percent for firewood. What's more, they come in 20- and 40-lb. packages that are easier to store and transport than big stacks of cord wood.

Burning pellets used to require a pellet stove, but New Hampshire-based Energex has created an add-on product, called Prometheus, that allows homeowners to convert any fireplace or wood-burning stove to pellets.

The Prometheus is a steel basket with its sides and bottom covered by thousands of honeycomb-shaped airholes. This setup allows homeowners to use the clean-burning pellets. Four front-to-back channels on the unit divide the basket into sections, which allows combustion air to reach the middle of the fuel source; this ensures that all of the pellets burn. Baskets range in size from 10 to 26 inches and hold from 10 to 30 lbs. of pellet fuel. A fully loaded basket can burn unattended for 2 to 12 hours.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/m/article/0,,214830,00.html

#159 ·
In the pictured living room I would not put one in the corner and have the fireplace too. It would look weird, and you would also have to cut a hole for the ducting to go outside, so then you would also have that on the side of the house. If you really wanted one that badly, I would look into making a 'wall' that fits over your fireplace opening and extending the hearth for the stove to sit on and vent it up the existing chimney.

If you used a stove that basically covered the opening itself it likely wouldn't look too bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.