fun on the highway - Page 136 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old March 18th, 2019, 06:18 AM   #2701
greygoose
Gustafson
 
greygoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-08
Location: New Baltimore / Presque Isle
Posts: 8,953
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Default

Love the ghostbusters logo.
greygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old March 18th, 2019, 08:45 AM   #2702
not sure
no wait! my name is joe
 
not sure's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-25-07
Location: Sturgis, Michigan
Posts: 524
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlooMule View Post
Well, there we have it, the Gladiator is the new 'Barbie Jeep'
Hate to say it but for the most part all new wranglers are. We bought my wife a brand new 18 jlu. Friend of mine bought his wife one last year. 2 people i went to school with wives have new wranglers. I have a few female customers that drive brand new wranglers. And driving around locally the great majority of other be jeeps we see have women driving. They are great vehicle's but they are so comfortable and equipped well enough to suit women today. And the sad part is half of the women i know with new jeeps got manual transmissions. And almost all the men have autos

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk
not sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2019, 09:04 AM   #2703
greygoose
Gustafson
 
greygoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-08
Location: New Baltimore / Presque Isle
Posts: 8,953
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by not sure View Post
Hate to say it but for the most part all new wranglers are. We bought my wife a brand new 18 jlu. Friend of mine bought his wife one last year. 2 people i went to school with wives have new wranglers. I have a few female customers that drive brand new wranglers. And driving around locally the great majority of other be jeeps we see have women driving. They are great vehicle's but they are so comfortable and equipped well enough to suit women today. And the sad part is half of the women i know with new jeeps got manual transmissions. And almost all the men have autos

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk
That is sad.
greygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2019, 09:13 AM   #2704
not sure
no wait! my name is joe
 
not sure's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-25-07
Location: Sturgis, Michigan
Posts: 524
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

When i meet my wife she had a cavalier z24 5 speed. She bought it whenshe turned 16 and learned on a stick. We traded it in for an auto car and she hated it. Traded that for a chevy cruze turbo 6 speed. So when shopping for a vehicle this time her list was, awd or 4x4, "sunroof" and manual transmission. Unbelievably few options meet that. I convinced her to drive a new jl. She kept telling me that she didn't want a wrangler. Well the second she sat in a new one she fell in love with it. She's still mad at me cause she's obsessed with her new jeep and broke lol

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk
not sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2019, 09:20 AM   #2705
xj4life
Senior Member
 
xj4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: LaPorte, IN
Posts: 9,645
iTrader: (18)
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by not sure View Post
She's still mad at me cause she's obsessed with her new jeep and broke lol
__________________
Project Midlife Crisis - Tube Chassis Crawler
xj4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2019, 02:36 PM   #2706
Jrgunn5150
Senior Member
 
Jrgunn5150's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-13-10
Location: Ionia Michigan
Posts: 2,140
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Default

Personally, the worst thing is the Rubicon, or Raptor, or whatever being the "top of the line one". So ritzy people see them, and just want the fanciest one, which one is that?

Oh it's this Rubicon sir or Ma'am, or Super Maaaa'aaam.

Then they get it, and bitch it doesn't have heated bidet seats, so they add in a bunch of nonsense.

The last Jeep I bought new was a 06 Unlimited Rubicon LJ, had a soft top, cloth seats, manual trans, locks, windows..... And it was 28.5 out the door..

Can't touch a Rubicon for less than 45 now.
Jrgunn5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2019, 12:03 AM   #2707
OttoMan
Senior Member
 
OttoMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-22-10
Location: windsor ontario
Posts: 660
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by capone View Post
Seen at Meijer in Fraser yesterday.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This was in Windsor this summer for comic con.


Another beef about the gladiator is the wheelbase, you’re gonna get high centered with something that long. A lot
OttoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2019, 06:30 AM   #2708
greygoose
Gustafson
 
greygoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-08
Location: New Baltimore / Presque Isle
Posts: 8,953
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoMan View Post
This was in Windsor this summer for comic con.


Another beef about the gladiator is the wheelbase, you’re gonna get high centered with something that long. A lot
Yes, and sadly I feel the wheelbase should be longer. It doesn't look right with the rear axle where it's at.
greygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2019, 09:57 PM   #2709
OttoMan
Senior Member
 
OttoMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-22-10
Location: windsor ontario
Posts: 660
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I think FCA should have just done a 2 door Jeep truck. Let’s be honest tho, what Jeep owner gonna wheel that gladiator knowing all about departure and overhang angles? The ones who get stuck off-road driving them will be the teens of the soccer moms.
OttoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2019, 04:59 AM   #2710
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 30,048
iTrader: (26)
Mentioned: 175 Post(s)
Default

Their target market is not offroading. It's just a marketing trend.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2019, 05:10 AM   #2711
Ryanw10
Senior Member
 
Ryanw10's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-08-12
Location: Holland
Posts: 2,106
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
Their target market is not offroading. It's just a marketing trend.
Jeep did sponsor a gladiator to run KOH though so it has to at least be part of there strategy. To be honest the only marketing that I have seen for the gladiator has involved some type of offroading.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Ryanw10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2019, 07:43 AM   #2712
wave_crusher
I'll Direc your TV
 
wave_crusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-20-09
Location: Alpena, MI
Posts: 8,405
iTrader: (24)
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanw10 View Post
Jeep did sponsor a gladiator to run KOH though so it has to at least be part of there strategy. To be honest the only marketing that I have seen for the gladiator has involved some type of offroading.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Because it's a "jeep" that looks like a wrangler. They want people to think that it's still an off-road vehicle. The holy grail of vehicles is something that appeals to the off-road enthusasists, and appeals to the soccer mom, pavenment queen buyers.

How do you get beat the holy grail, by making it look like both those things, but not actually having it work that way. Save money, and still sell it for what it looks like it is
__________________
-2011 Ford Fusion SEL 3.0L
-2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.7L 65th Annv.
-1996 Chevrolet K1500 5.7L Vortec- Dirty mall queen
wave_crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2019, 08:36 AM   #2713
jeepfreak81
81 inches of fun
 
jeepfreak81's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-10-05
Location: Lennon, Mi
Posts: 14,273
iTrader: (25)
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jeepfreak81 Send a message via MSN to jeepfreak81 Send a message via Yahoo to jeepfreak81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanw10 View Post
Jeep did sponsor a gladiator to run KOH though so it has to at least be part of there strategy. To be honest the only marketing that I have seen for the gladiator has involved some type of offroading.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Didn't they extend the time so it could finish and Jeep wouldn't get mad

I wanted a Jeep truck for years, and this one is close to what I wanted, aside from that rear overhang and rear door. My problem is jeep has pushed so far upscale and pricing is so ridiculous I'm not willing to spend the coin they want now-days. The price has MORE than doubled in less than 20 years.
jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2019, 11:39 AM   #2714
Blue XJ
The Green Machine
 
Blue XJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Washington Township
Posts: 4,197
iTrader: (34)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Blue XJ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrgunn5150 View Post
Personally, the worst thing is the Rubicon, or Raptor, or whatever being the "top of the line one". So ritzy people see them, and just want the fanciest one, which one is that?

Oh it's this Rubicon sir or Ma'am, or Super Maaaa'aaam.

Then they get it, and bitch it doesn't have heated bidet seats, so they add in a bunch of nonsense.

The last Jeep I bought new was a 06 Unlimited Rubicon LJ, had a soft top, cloth seats, manual trans, locks, windows..... And it was 28.5 out the door..

Can't touch a Rubicon for less than 45 now.

Also can't get a rubicon with cloth seats, manual lock or windows anymore. But I agree, their prices are ridiculous, they are just used as status symbols now. The could make the Rubicons 2wd and I bet 99% of the people that buy them, would never even know.
Blue XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2019, 11:42 AM   #2715
Blue XJ
The Green Machine
 
Blue XJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Washington Township
Posts: 4,197
iTrader: (34)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Blue XJ
Default

And I'll still take my old Jeep truck over the Gladiator, cost about 1/4 of that one, more capable offroad, just wish it was an extended cab. Would probably still have it if it was.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3275.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	707.7 KB
ID:	261720  

Blue XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2019, 11:45 AM   #2716
not sure
no wait! my name is joe
 
not sure's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-25-07
Location: Sturgis, Michigan
Posts: 524
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

They need to make a new trim level wrangler. Base model with 44 front with lockers. Or make the front 44 with lockers an add on option for all trims. And an option for the "rock trac" transfer case. Rubicon is starting to become a joke

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk
not sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2019, 12:24 PM   #2717
bbaXJ
Yooper In Training
 
bbaXJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-29-06
Location: Fowlertucky, MI
Posts: 7,028
iTrader: (66)
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to bbaXJ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoMan View Post
I think FCA should have just done a 2 door Jeep truck. Let’s be honest tho, what Jeep owner gonna wheel that gladiator knowing all about departure and overhang angles? The ones who get stuck off-road driving them will be the teens of the soccer moms.
Apparently FCA had this weird goal to actually make money off the Gladiator. Nobody buys 2 door Jeeps or regular cab trucks anymore. So why would the decision makers decide to go with a regular cab Jeep truck? It doesn't matter how "cool" something is if it doesn't turn a profit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanw10 View Post
Jeep did sponsor a gladiator to run KOH though so it has to at least be part of there strategy. To be honest the only marketing that I have seen for the gladiator has involved some type of offroading.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by wave_crusher View Post
Because it's a "jeep" that looks like a wrangler. They want people to think that it's still an off-road vehicle. The holy grail of vehicles is something that appeals to the off-road enthusasists, and appeals to the soccer mom, pavenment queen buyers.

How do you get beat the holy grail, by making it look like both those things, but not actually having it work that way. Save money, and still sell it for what it looks like it is
It is still an offroad vehicle. It's not a short wheelbase hardcore rock crawler, but what factory vehicle is? It's got solid axles, good suspension, huge wheelwells, optional lockers, good gearing, and still has enough creature comforts, payload, and towing capacity for people to be able to use it for more than just offroading. It'll be great for the weekend warriors, overlanders, two trackers, and modest recreational wheelers, plus it'll offer most of the same mild-to-wild upgrades as the rest of the JL and JLUs out there.

It's funny how 90% of the people who incessantly complain about the Gladiator are driving rotted out XJs and wouldn't be buying one even if it were perfect. Everybody has an opinion they think should be catered to, but until those people start shelling out some cash, it doesn't freaking matter what they think. FCA did a wonderful job designing a capable, functional, useful, offroad-capable midsize truck. Is it perfect? No. Does it suit everyone's needs? No. Is it good enough at enough things to sell like mad? I'd put money on it. And designing and launching upgrades and accessories for it is going to keep my ass busy for a long, long time.
bbaXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2019, 01:27 PM   #2718
ckupq
Kitten I'm gonna eat you!
 
ckupq's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Laingsburg, MI
Posts: 3,735
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepfreak81 View Post
Didn't they extend the time so it could finish and Jeep wouldn't get mad

I wanted a Jeep truck for years, and this one is close to what I wanted, aside from that rear overhang and rear door. My problem is jeep has pushed so far upscale and pricing is so ridiculous I'm not willing to spend the coin they want now-days. The price has MORE than doubled in less than 20 years.
I heard they did more than that to get it to finish.
ckupq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2019, 02:09 PM   #2719
greygoose
Gustafson
 
greygoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-08
Location: New Baltimore / Presque Isle
Posts: 8,953
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaXJ View Post
Apparently FCA had this weird goal to actually make money off the Gladiator. Nobody buys 2 door Jeeps or regular cab trucks anymore. So why would the decision makers decide to go with a regular cab Jeep truck? It doesn't matter how "cool" something is if it doesn't turn a profit.




It is still an offroad vehicle. It's not a short wheelbase hardcore rock crawler, but what factory vehicle is? It's got solid axles, good suspension, huge wheelwells, optional lockers, good gearing, and still has enough creature comforts, payload, and towing capacity for people to be able to use it for more than just offroading. It'll be great for the weekend warriors, overlanders, two trackers, and modest recreational wheelers, plus it'll offer most of the same mild-to-wild upgrades as the rest of the JL and JLUs out there.

It's funny how 90% of the people who incessantly complain about the Gladiator are driving rotted out XJs and wouldn't be buying one even if it were perfect. Everybody has an opinion they think should be catered to, but until those people start shelling out some cash, it doesn't freaking matter what they think. FCA did a wonderful job designing a capable, functional, useful, offroad-capable midsize truck. Is it perfect? No. Does it suit everyone's needs? No. Is it good enough at enough things to sell like mad? I'd put money on it. And designing and launching upgrades and accessories for it is going to keep my ass busy for a long, long time.
And now I know why you're defending it.
greygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2019, 02:12 PM   #2720
Porter
.........................
 
Porter's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-11-07
Location: Romeo
Posts: 18,542
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue XJ View Post
Also can't get a rubicon with cloth seats, manual lock or windows anymore. But I agree, their prices are ridiculous, they are just used as status symbols now. The could make the Rubicons 2wd and I bet 99% of the people that buy them, would never even know.
.....sounds like someone has been checking!?
__________________
Dirty Minds Jeep Club

DMJC WEBSITE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight View Post
so yeah what Ross said...
Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Highway Buckled curbdog17 The recycle bin. 2 June 9th, 2011 05:45 AM
anyone here of Lake Highway don4life The Pub 6 April 11th, 2010 01:55 AM
Adopt-a-Highway xjmichigan The Pub 0 October 22nd, 2008 03:45 PM
Pot On The Highway IFS SUCKS The Pub 20 November 28th, 2007 10:00 PM
Mounds, Sunday july 9th. fun fun . noon. yeah. clarkstoncracker Trail Rides & 4x4 Events 16 July 9th, 2006 03:13 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:54 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
 
Page generated in 1.03021 seconds with 86 queries