Rodent Jihad - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old February 13th, 2020, 03:39 PM   #1
XXXJ
Desert Rat
 
XXXJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-09-07
Location: Manistee, Mi
Posts: 6,994
iTrader: (14)
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Default Rodent Jihad

Would this trip a breaker, or would it stack bodies?
Would it be hard to make it auto reset?

XXXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old February 13th, 2020, 04:03 PM   #2
bbaXJ
Yooper In Training
 
bbaXJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-29-06
Location: Fowlertucky, MI
Posts: 7,026
iTrader: (66)
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to bbaXJ
Default

Would be entertaining to see in any case.

The ole bucket of coolant with a spinny bait bottle seems the be the ultimate rodent killer, and it eliminates the mess and the stink.
bbaXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2020, 04:22 PM   #3
BlooMule
Old School
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: far from the shithole
Posts: 33,018
iTrader: (15)
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Default

Won't trip a breaker, but won't kill instantly all the time. Usually makes them squeak and run. Better version is to have the AC on two plates side by side
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2020, 05:51 PM   #4
19914x4blazer
ps4 tag chevytruckguy82
 
19914x4blazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-19-07
Location: waterford 48328
Posts: 1,553
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

https://youtu.be/aV_DXX1F7Ks
Looks like Bloomule is right
19914x4blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2020, 07:54 PM   #5
CSFJ
Hang all the thieves
 
Join Date: 07-12-11
Location: Davison
Posts: 1,859
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

The bucket with water/anti freeze, and the spinner bait, seems to work for everyone but me. I've tried it on a couple of occasions, with a final tally of two mice. Baited it with sunflower seeds/birdseed and peanut butter. Both separate and in conjunction with each other. Never did figure out what I was doing wrong. I've had much better luck with 110 connibear(sp?) traps on the squirrels, and glue traps on the mice. It's not uncommon for the connibears to grab at least a squirrel a week when the little bastards decide to invade the perimeter of my barn.
CSFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2020, 08:00 PM   #6
CSFJ
Hang all the thieves
 
Join Date: 07-12-11
Location: Davison
Posts: 1,859
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

I did find this a couple years ago. You have to read to the end to get how it applies sto pest control.

http://billllsidlemind.blogspot.com/...n-fun.html?m=1

I haven't tried it yet, but being self resetting sounds like a plus.
CSFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2020, 11:05 PM   #7
XXXJ
Desert Rat
 
XXXJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-09-07
Location: Manistee, Mi
Posts: 6,994
iTrader: (14)
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19914x4blazer View Post
https://youtu.be/aV_DXX1F7Ks
Looks like Bloomule is right
What if you wired In a start capacitor from an electric motor?
XXXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2020, 12:36 AM   #8
hondadirtracer
Skymaster
 
hondadirtracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-25-08
Location: Holly, Michigan
Posts: 2,507
iTrader: (10)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

I have an electric rat zapper off amazon. Runs off a wall plug or a bunch of d cell batteries. Let's out a loud beep when it kills them so you can get it and reset. If it's quiet out I can hear it inside my pool house from about 100' away. I have killed about 10 mice and 6 chipmunks between 1 in my pool house and 1 in my garage.
hondadirtracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2020, 06:50 AM   #9
fsumotorhead
N8KVB
 
fsumotorhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-24-06
Location: Flat Rock, MI
Posts: 4,382
iTrader: (34)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I almost bought one of these a few months ago as I have battled mice for the last seven years. Even has a counter option so you know its working if the bodies get carried off by cats or other critters...


https://www.automatictrap.com/produc...mouse-trap-kit


expensive, but I think I have around $2k into resealing the house and spray foam insulation in the rim joists to help try to keep them out. I took out all the batt insulation in the basement, kicked up five live mice, over a dozen dead ones and three nests full of naked little baby mice. I haven't seen any since, hopefully they moved on to a neighbors house.
fsumotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2020, 06:58 AM   #10
BlooMule
Old School
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: far from the shithole
Posts: 33,018
iTrader: (15)
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Default

We had a real bad rodent problem in a TV shop in Detroit (surprise). We made an electric zapper with two metal plates and a 12" tall wall on 3 sides with a 2" wall in one side. Set the bait on electrical tape across the plates. The mice or rats would get zapped and half the time die instantly. Sometimes they would jump off the plate and run, but the walls kept them contained enough to to cross the junction again. The whole thing could be easily picked up for disposal of the carcasses. Only downside is sometimes they would piss and shit when they died, and the combo of burning rodent fur and shit/piss was pretty pungent.

Note: Do not use 220. Small mice explode, and it's nasty.
__________________
-rw-rw-rw

Last edited by BlooMule; February 14th, 2020 at 07:03 AM.
BlooMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2020, 08:20 AM   #11
bbaXJ
Yooper In Training
 
bbaXJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-29-06
Location: Fowlertucky, MI
Posts: 7,026
iTrader: (66)
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to bbaXJ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSFJ View Post
The bucket with water/anti freeze, and the spinner bait, seems to work for everyone but me. I've tried it on a couple of occasions, with a final tally of two mice. Baited it with sunflower seeds/birdseed and peanut butter. Both separate and in conjunction with each other. Never did figure out what I was doing wrong. I've had much better luck with 110 connibear(sp?) traps on the squirrels, and glue traps on the mice. It's not uncommon for the connibears to grab at least a squirrel a week when the little bastards decide to invade the perimeter of my barn.
Did you build an access ramp? I'm told that makes a considerable difference. It has to be an easy target.
bbaXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2020, 09:38 AM   #12
fsumotorhead
N8KVB
 
fsumotorhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-24-06
Location: Flat Rock, MI
Posts: 4,382
iTrader: (34)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

the bucket and spinner never worked for me either. I tried many variants and never got a single mouse.
fsumotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2020, 09:57 AM   #13
XXXJ
Desert Rat
 
XXXJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-09-07
Location: Manistee, Mi
Posts: 6,994
iTrader: (14)
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlooMule View Post
.

Note: Do not use 220. Small mice explode, and it's nasty.
That covers my next question.
XXXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2020, 12:11 PM   #14
BigBlockBlazer
Axle breakin' 101
 
BigBlockBlazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-08-08
Location: Traverse City, Mi
Posts: 3,119
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlooMule View Post
We had a real bad rodent problem in a TV shop in Detroit (surprise). We made an electric zapper with two metal plates and a 12" tall wall on 3 sides with a 2" wall in one side. Set the bait on electrical tape across the plates. The mice or rats would get zapped and half the time die instantly. Sometimes they would jump off the plate and run, but the walls kept them contained enough to to cross the junction again. The whole thing could be easily picked up for disposal of the carcasses. Only downside is sometimes they would piss and shit when they died, and the combo of burning rodent fur and shit/piss was pretty pungent.

Note: Do not use 220. Small mice explode, and it's nasty.



This made me laugh.
BigBlockBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2020, 02:04 PM   #15
CSFJ
Hang all the thieves
 
Join Date: 07-12-11
Location: Davison
Posts: 1,859
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaXJ View Post
Did you build an access ramp? I'm told that makes a considerable difference. It has to be an easy target.
Yep. Made a nice ramp for an easy approach, even put some bait along that too.
CSFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2020, 04:51 AM   #16
shawn
Resident HVAC/R Jambi
 
shawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Pinckney
Posts: 10,933
iTrader: (24)
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXJ View Post
Would this trip a breaker, or would it stack bodies?
Would it be hard to make it auto reset?

If you want to cook them that's one way of doing it, might take a 30 amp breaker to keep your "hot plate" on but I'm sure there's better ways.

To "zap" them, the hot and neutral would have to be separated, in a grid, close enough to make the mouse touch both at the same time.
__________________
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2020, 06:26 AM   #17
BlooMule
Old School
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: far from the shithole
Posts: 33,018
iTrader: (15)
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn View Post
If you want to cook them that's one way of doing it, might take a 30 amp breaker to keep your "hot plate" on but I'm sure there's better ways.

To "zap" them, the hot and neutral would have to be separated, in a grid, close enough to make the mouse touch both at the same time.
Neutral and ground are attached to the grid, hot (black wire) is bent up with bait on it.
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2020, 07:29 AM   #18
XXXJ
Desert Rat
 
XXXJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-09-07
Location: Manistee, Mi
Posts: 6,994
iTrader: (14)
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Default

GermanGurl suggest some kind of repellent. I say all rodents must die.
XXXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2020, 07:44 AM   #19
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 8,649
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXJ View Post
GermanGurl suggest some kind of repellent. I say all rodents must die.
I have read that Irish Spring soap is a repellant. I cut it up in smaller pieces and noticed a slight difference in not as much traffic. But something is carrying the pieces off when I put them next to the outside basement door.
Mothballs is supposed to work to. Decon works best along with peanut butter and traps. I have the bucket with the spinning can and usually get one or two in it then nothing.
Every year just before winter they find a way into the basement. I have went all around the exterior and looked for any entrance point. Filled the area where AC lines, dryer vent with steal wool and caulk but they still have an access point. I'm thinking under the porch along the top plate and block wall might be where they are getting in. This spring I will crawl under there and inspect. May as well look in the crawl space as well. I hate going in those small places. Full of cob webs and dust.
Hope you fix your rodent problem. They can be so destructive.
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2020, 11:57 AM   #20
shawn
Resident HVAC/R Jambi
 
shawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Pinckney
Posts: 10,933
iTrader: (24)
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlooMule View Post
Neutral and ground are attached to the grid, hot (black wire) is bent up with bait on it.
didn't catch that! good call
__________________
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:45 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
 
Page generated in 1.77195 seconds with 84 queries