Anyone Have a Wood Pellet Grill? - Page 4 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old April 21st, 2020, 09:27 AM   #61
jeepfreak81
81 inches of fun
 
jeepfreak81's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-10-05
Location: Lennon, Mi
Posts: 14,277
iTrader: (25)
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jeepfreak81 Send a message via MSN to jeepfreak81 Send a message via Yahoo to jeepfreak81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greygoose View Post
Good to know. I give my Weber a thorough cleaning every fall, but when theres build up from a previous cook I typically crank it up and burn it off. Good to know this is not an option with a pellet grill / smoker.
Yeah, you can get a back burn into the pellet hopper if it gets out of control. The GMG like mine has a fan that creates positive pressure in the pellet hopper to minimize that, but it has still happened to people.
jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old April 28th, 2020, 05:38 AM   #62
greygoose
Gustafson
 
greygoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-08
Location: New Baltimore / Presque Isle
Posts: 8,975
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Default

Well, I know this thread was started by another user, but thanks to all who posted. I purchased a pellet grill / smoker yesterday and I am very excited to start my new grilling experience.

I went with the original Grilla and got the alpha smoke option.

https://grillagrills.com/grills/gril...moker-grill-2/
greygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2020, 06:18 AM   #63
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 8,659
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Default

Enjoy. My brother spends many days throughout the summer smoking meats. He does a good job at it. Always tastes great. I'm sure you will be an expert before you know it.
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2020, 06:29 AM   #64
roll-bar Bob
Senior Member
 
roll-bar Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-20-06
Location: M CITY
Posts: 3,588
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Default

Wow that thing looks amazing let me know how you like it in time.




RBB
roll-bar Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2020, 06:49 AM   #65
greygoose
Gustafson
 
greygoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-08
Location: New Baltimore / Presque Isle
Posts: 8,975
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
Enjoy. My brother spends many days throughout the summer smoking meats. He does a good job at it. Always tastes great. I'm sure you will be an expert before you know it.
I've been smoking for a while, just not with pellets. Should be a fun new experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll-bar Bob View Post
Wow that thing looks amazing let me know how you like it in time.


RBB
greygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2020, 06:57 AM   #66
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 8,659
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greygoose View Post
I've been smoking for a while, just not with pellets. Should be a fun new experience.



I really like how the meat tastes, mouth watering. But the time it takes to wait for dinner. Its worth it though.
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2020, 07:47 AM   #67
SolLess
08' Unlimited JK "X"
 
Join Date: 02-20-06
Location: Pinckney MI
Posts: 350
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greygoose View Post
Well, I know this thread was started by another user, but thanks to all who posted. I purchased a pellet grill / smoker yesterday and I am very excited to start my new grilling experience.

I went with the original Grilla and got the alpha smoke option.

https://grillagrills.com/grills/gril...moker-grill-2/
Congrats! I'm sure you will enjoy it.
SolLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2020, 09:12 AM   #68
jeepfreak81
81 inches of fun
 
jeepfreak81's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-10-05
Location: Lennon, Mi
Posts: 14,277
iTrader: (25)
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jeepfreak81 Send a message via MSN to jeepfreak81 Send a message via Yahoo to jeepfreak81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greygoose View Post
I've been smoking for a while, just not with pellets. Should be a fun new experience.



It's honestly the lazy mans way and I am not ashamed of it. I have not had a bad meal from mine yet just following the basics. I'm no pro, but my family thinks I am. I like doing Pizza's, vegetables (I've smoked frozen veggies even), corn bread etc... you can basically use it like a wood fired oven if you have your temps dialed in.
jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2020, 12:09 PM   #69
bbaXJ
Yooper In Training
 
bbaXJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-29-06
Location: Fowlertucky, MI
Posts: 7,045
iTrader: (66)
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to bbaXJ
Default

Good thread. I've been interested in smoking meats for a long time. I loooooove good smoked BBQ but rarely sit still long enough to justify doing it myself.

My wife got me this for my birthday back in February because I decided it'd be perfect to take on camping trips when I actually sit around.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Masterbuilt...ker/1000386175

I've used it a bunch already at home. It's definitely limited on size but still does a great job. The propane is super easy and still gets plenty of smoke flavor from the wood chips, but I plan to get a pellet grill sooner or later for home use. Like Greygoose I have a Weber Genesis propane grill that gets lots of use, but more smoking is going to happen as time goes on. This thread will be a big help.
bbaXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2020, 12:14 PM   #70
jeepfreak81
81 inches of fun
 
jeepfreak81's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-10-05
Location: Lennon, Mi
Posts: 14,277
iTrader: (25)
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jeepfreak81 Send a message via MSN to jeepfreak81 Send a message via Yahoo to jeepfreak81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaXJ View Post
Good thread. I've been interested in smoking meats for a long time. I loooooove good smoked BBQ but rarely sit still long enough to justify doing it myself.

My wife got me this for my birthday back in February because I decided it'd be perfect to take on camping trips when I actually sit around.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Masterbuilt...ker/1000386175

I've used it a bunch already at home. It's definitely limited on size but still does a great job. The propane is super easy and still gets plenty of smoke flavor from the wood chips, but I plan to get a pellet grill sooner or later for home use. Like Greygoose I have a Weber Genesis propane grill that gets lots of use, but more smoking is going to happen as time goes on. This thread will be a big help.
I had a Masterbuilt Propane before my GMG, I loved it but mostly used it for jerky. The cooking surface and control on the pellet smoker was a game changer in how much I used it.
jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2020, 05:41 AM   #71
greygoose
Gustafson
 
greygoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-08
Location: New Baltimore / Presque Isle
Posts: 8,975
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Default

Well, I ordered my pellet grill at 6am Monday April 27. I still don't have a shipping confirmation. I am sure the beer virus has something to do with this, but this blows.
greygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Outdoor Wood Boiler Peoples kickstand The Pub 32 February 17th, 2018 08:06 AM
Wanted-Seats and Chrome Grill for CJ7 Glenns.garage Wanted 2 May 13th, 2016 08:48 PM
**SOLD** Central Boiler 6048 Wood Burner For Sale Swampdog02 Completed Sales 4 March 15th, 2016 07:48 PM
Pellet Furnace jeepfreak81 The Pub 25 September 24th, 2015 10:42 PM
Free fire wood and wood chips *livonia this week* hosejockey4506 The Pub 11 April 21st, 2015 06:00 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:51 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
 
Page generated in 0.43116 seconds with 59 queries