Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Need a remote start/wiring guru's help/advice

1K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  Tweeternpi 
#1 ·
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Has a Viper Remote start installed (key fob says viper, never really looked much into whether it was oem or aftermarket but assuming aftermarket for obvious reasons)

Problem.
Jeep will not start, does not crank over, nothing. Lights all turn on, everything is normal, until you go to start the jeep and then nothing.

Brand New battery.

Jeep will start with the remote. Put key in ignition and jeep will run and drive as normal.

I am assuming there is some sort of wire running from the ignition switch in the column to fuse box, the remote start unit, and then to the starter that may have broken or shorted out?

I hate wiring, I hate electrical gremlins, but this one seems as if it should be fairly simple to diagnose and find?

#10 ·
I would just stop in at any Viper authorized instal center and just let them know what it's doing. They will probably know exactly what's going on and handle it for you. Buy them a pizza for lunch for helping you out.

#13 ·
The one on my old truck had the same symptoms. It ended up being the brain for the alarm. I don't remember the brand, but they had been having issues with other vehicles and simply replaced the brain and sent me on my way no charge. I know this in no way helps you, and isn't even useful to this thread. I simply wanted to talk about myself.

#17 ·
Sounds like a bad unit, or bad install.

Take a look under the dash for the remote start unit.
There will be a bunch of small gauge wires, and a handful of larger wires (Possibly coming from a second relay box)
Take a look at the larger wires. You want to locate the Green wire, and the Purple wire.
During the initial installation of that unit, the starter wire from the ignition switch should have been cut, and the Green wire attached to the KEY side, and the Purple wire attached to the STARTER side.
Make sure that they are both attached properly. It sounds to me like either the Green wire may have come loose, or the unit has failed internally. If the Green wire looks good, take it up to a Best Buy, and have them take a look at it for you under warranty, you probably have a bad unit.

-Rob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.