Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

A boring basic Jeep build/log

19K views 74 replies 14 participants last post by  SHARPMACHINE 
#1 · (Edited)
Well as the title says, this won't be anything flashy or groundbreaking. I've honestly got the jeep mostly to where I want it. I do have a set of superduty axles I will likely throw under it at some point but I don't see that happening any time soon. This is more so just a log to track it's progress and document my adventures since I tend to break phones often and don't want to lose any pictures. I will go straight into the run down of where it sits today and follow it up with some pictures.

1999 Jeep Wrangler
- 5.3 LS out of a 2000 Sierra with approx. 93k
- 700r4 trans fresh rebuild
- HD 231 with chain kit and SYE from same Chevy
- Winters ratchet shifter
- Motobuilt fuel cell running stock fuel pump and sending unit
- Corbeau racing seats and 5 point harnesses
- 3 link long arm front/4 link rear
- PSC hydro Assist
- Superior custom aluminum radiator
- HP Dana 30 front with Yukon locker, 4.10 gears
- Front Yukon Shafts, moog ball joints, super strength joints
- Front axle truss, axle c's plated and gusseted
- Dual rate 4.5" coils F/R
- Old Man Emu shocks all 4 corners
- Rear 8.8 swap with disc brakes, 4.10 gears, and mini spool
- New-ish 35x12.5x15 BFG km2's
- Poison Spider replacement tube portions and harness bar
- Adam's Driveshafts
- High clearance F/R bumpers with recovery points and winch mount

I think that wraps it up, no major plans other than some small stuff currently. I've got a Bundy trip planned for April and back-to-back Silver Lake trips in June for Jeep Invasion weekend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

See less See more
#6 ·
Yeah I know the Dana 30 is not ideal but I didnt invest the $2,500 or so in parts to build it. I've got 3 spare housings, and enough spare shafts and whatnot I'm not too concerned about it yet. Time will tell how well it holds up and like I said I've got a set of superduty axles I will probably put under it some day.

#7 ·
Don’t get me wrong. The d30 is a great axle. But you’re putting a lot of power to it but hey it’s what’s there so ur not out anything yet lol. My zj buggy I first built has a hp 30 in it and its trussed gussed and sleeved, pretty much full built other than I run stock shafts, I consider it a fusable link, that being said, I’ve broken a lot of shafts and 1 Carrier on 36 iroks and a 4.0. Just keep em straight and lift before landing [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#10 ·
Sweet Build. I did something similar 5.3 out of a 99, a built 700r4, 90 wrangler. I ran stock axles with 35s all summer and now im swapping axles out of a 79 f 250. Im curious on your kick down cable setup for the 700r4 and the throttle cable? how do you like the winters ratchet shifter?

#12 ·
Thanks guys What part are you interested in most? I'll look I might have some pics on my laptop somewhere.

Are you swapping axles due to breakage or just to upgrade? I swapped same axles into an old XJ I had I think theres a build thread on here somewhere..

So far I like the shifter. I think having a comfortable mounting location is a huge factor in that. I mounted it on top of an ammo can so I still have some storage too for all my spare Spicer joints and whatnot.

I got a bit of time in the garage last night. Trying to clean up wiring a bit and figure out some sort of inner fenders to keep the engine bay clean. Anyone ever fabbed their own?

I was supposed to get a replacement windshield in but apparently the Fed Ex guy didn't want to see an install on that..

#14 ·
Well started cranking away on this. Replaced all coolant lines with high temp stuff as the old lines were all cheapo flex line. Got these rock sliders from work for cheap cheap cheap and threw them on. Cleaned up the inside a bit and got some of my spare front ends torn down and on the metal rack. Have three sets of front shafts and multiple driveshafts, control arms, Heims, etc. It was nice to get all that organized and in one spot. Still have several housings to tear down.

The stock fuel pump worked alright but would over heat and shut off after stints at WOT. I put in a Walboro 255 as a replacement, now my issue is that it's spraying fuel out of the output line. It's currently just a rubber line with several v-band hose clamps. Is my output just too great now that I need to switch to stainless lines and AN fittings? Hoping that's not the case.

Also putting a set of BDS recoil bars on the tow rig at lunch today. Slowly getting ready for these back to back weekends coming up late May early June.

#24 ·
Well the barb on the fuel output is cracked resulting in a leak/spray.

Aftermarket fuel pump modules at any parts stores do not allow you to split the module and access the fuel pump directly.. Trying to find a fuel pump module for a factory TJ, anyone know of any?

#26 · (Edited)
Well replaced FPR and the new fuel pump was still bad, pulled that out again and ordered a new Walboro 255 and finally got that in there last night. Picked up some used fenders for $100, some day they will get paint but for now I'm keeping the bumblebee paint. Back seat installed. Hood pins fixed and a short test drive later and she's on the trailer ready for Jeep Invasion!

Been a hell of a week keeping my tow rig running with lots of repairs so didn't get everything dialed quite as good as I want but should work for what it is. I did flip a car hauler for a profit and got a free 9k HF winch out of the deal, that is now on the jeep.

Leaving tomorrow at 4 from Coldwater I'll be staying in the state park if anyone is around come say hi and if we aren't on the sand maybe have a beer.

#29 ·
Weekend was a blast. Weather was awful for tent camping but we stayed dry and made the most of it. Jeeo had some issues but that's to be expected for the first time out. The GF and my first camping and wheeling trip together and I was very impressed.

Had a no start issue swapped some relays and she fired up so a quick trip to Klotz for a replacement and we were rolling again. Blew a coolant line which was fixed after a tow to camp. Broke my rear trakcbar bracket that was boogered on there by the P.O. Also have a leaky axle seal on passenger side. Also struggled with power at the top end.

Dragged it to my buddy Jeremy's tonight and we added two gussets to the trakcbar bracket and re-welded it. Found out fuel pump is only pulling 45 psi or so compared to the 60+ it should be. Another trip to parts store tomorrow to pick up new fuel pressure regulator and vacuum hose for the fuel rail. Hoping that fixes things cause I'm headed back up to Silver Lake Thursday through Dunday with a group of 30 people or so. Here's some recap pics and some pics of the damage.

#31 ·
Broke a ton of parts on the tow rig last weekend driving up there. Lots to fix between the truck and jeep. Front axle was on fire. Need to rewire all accessories on the jeep and figure out some fuel delivery issues. Truck will be getting a new transfer case and a 60 front and another rear axle with 4.10 gears in both from my old truck.

#32 · (Edited)
Well I've been busy. No internet at home so I haven't been able to update but got a fancy new phone with a nice camera.

New wheels/tires on the tow rig.
New front axle and case on tow rig.
Upper/lower ball joints on tow rig.
New gooseneck/camper project combo.
New hard top for the winter wheeling.

Rewired everything on the jeep. Rerouted everything through the glove box and firewall away from coolant lines. All new looming, labels, wiring, added fuses and solenoids, etc as the P.O. had all accessories hacked horribly together. It all works now. I labeled everything to make future troubleshooting much easier, although I doubt I'll have much.

Still having an issue with fuel delivery I believe it is because I've got no o2 sensors. Runs fine low end but seems rich and is starving out on the top end.

Does anyone have any experience with the best way to run these or eliminate them altogether? Also anyone have experience with LS tuning in SW MI?

I'm half tempted to run the holly sniper stuff and use their programming stuff to make things better.

Some pics for everyone

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

#34 ·
The trailer needs a little work but I'll get it fixed up a bit couldn't beat it for the price. Wow believe it or not I've never seen these. Would have saved a ton of time and money as these are all double heat shrunk and crimped..... thanks for the heads up definitely buying some!

Got it all wrapped up tonight. Finished wiring, drained and cleaned fuel fell, just need a new fuel filter and she is ready to fire. Crazy how much I eliminated (second time cleaning up). I think I'm going to try and have it tuned if anyone has any recommendations?

#49 · (Edited)
Well had a change of plans. Traded off the white TJ project as I had done everything I wanted to get it use-able for someone and it was in my way. I was getting bored and needed to find something else to consume my time. Went down to Ohio yesterday and traded for these.

Dana 60
5.38 gears - Yukon
Spartan Locker
Artec full truss setup for xj/zj/tj front
BTF high steer arms
Tie rod and drag link (I wont be using trackbar)

14 bolt rear
Matching 5.38 gears - Yukon
Welded gears
Setup for a Cherokee

38x15x15 boggers on steelies

Initial plan is to clean up the front end and install that with the existing hydro assist steering.
Rear will get a barnes4wd truss swap kit. I will run it as-is for now. Next winter when I'm better equipped I'll back half the rear and stretch the wheelbase based on how much I find is needed. At this time I'll redo factory style long arms, double triangulate the rear, and eliminate trackbar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.