SOLD - 1968 CJ-5 $800 Good "starter" project. - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > Great Lakes 4x4 Marketplace > Completed Sales
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Completed Sales A place to find the market value on parts/vehicles

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old July 9th, 2007, 10:02 AM   #1
PavementPounder
I am the law.
 
PavementPounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Birmingham, Michigan 48009
Posts: 29,823
iTrader: (224)
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Talking SOLD - 1968 CJ-5 $800 Good "starter" project.

225 oddfire/3-speed/D18, D27/D44. Have title. Extra set of stock axles not included at this time. Extra engine I got a while ago in another deal is available for a little more. Tub is obviously bad in the rear - just backhalf/tube it. Believed to run, just haven't dicked around with it yet. Notice its already SOA. Formerly owned by 88yj. Available immediately and I have the title.

I have other axles right now as well, to include offset rears for Zooks. Call or PM.


Edit: I also just remembered that I have an 80's passenger car fuel injection setup that will bolt to this motor. I'll have to lay out the parts to see what all is there, but its included in the price of the vehicle.


SOLD.




Last edited by PävementPounder; February 4th, 2008 at 07:54 AM.
PavementPounder is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old July 9th, 2007, 01:06 PM   #2
klutch heavy
 
Join Date: 07-01-07
Posts: 10
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

how much to finish cutting to size???
klutch heavy is offline  
Old July 9th, 2007, 01:32 PM   #3
PavementPounder
I am the law.
 
PavementPounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Birmingham, Michigan 48009
Posts: 29,823
iTrader: (224)
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by klutch heavy View Post
how much to finish cutting to size???
I don't know - it doesn't really matter much to me as its something that needs to be done. Moser is going to do it and it'll get factored into the price. If you want to shop it around to see if you can save a few bucks, buy it before I do it. Call shops and ask them how much to cut any pair of D44 inner shafts to NT CJ length.



PavementPounder is offline  
 
Old August 22nd, 2007, 11:33 AM   #4
PavementPounder
I am the law.
 
PavementPounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Birmingham, Michigan 48009
Posts: 29,823
iTrader: (224)
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Default

After pushing it down the row to the new storage unit, I remembered that it has a welded rear. :tonka:

I also have the key now, so I'm going to attempt to start it up soon.



PavementPounder is offline  
Old October 19th, 2007, 12:08 PM   #5
PavementPounder
I am the law.
 
PavementPounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Birmingham, Michigan 48009
Posts: 29,823
iTrader: (224)
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Default

Bump for UP_ROKTOY or Blue1997TJ, or whatever he feels like being called today.



PavementPounder is offline  
Old October 19th, 2007, 12:24 PM   #6
jeepfreak81
81 inches of fun
 
jeepfreak81's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-10-05
Location: Lennon, Mi
Posts: 14,103
iTrader: (25)
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jeepfreak81 Send a message via MSN to jeepfreak81 Send a message via Yahoo to jeepfreak81
Default

If you want to sell those V6 logos off the side I will buy them from you :tonka:

For anyone looking the Dauntless V6 in these is a VERY fun motor. Nice heavy flywheel on them so you can lug the RPM's right down, yet they have ~160 HP @4200 RPM (that is unmodified: They can make much more) and 235 ft lbs @ 2400 RPM


Another fun factoid:
Quote:
a Buick 225 V6 engines mated to a manual transmission (big flywheel) will idle vehicle over the trail with just 2 cylinders firing--the momentum of that large flywheel keeping the engine running. At highway speeds the Buick 225 will purr along and still get 15-20 mpg (depending on gearing).
Highway speed when that was written = 45-55 mph
jeepfreak81 is offline  
Old October 19th, 2007, 12:34 PM   #7
The PIG Smith
Senior Member
 
The PIG Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-19-07
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Posts: 127
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepfreak81 View Post
...the Dauntless V6 in these is a VERY fun motor. Nice heavy flywheel on them so you can lug the RPM's right down, yet they have ~160 HP @4200 RPM (that is unmodified: They can make much more) and 235 ft lbs @ 2400 RPM
Would you say these are better than swaping in a Chevy 4.3L V6?
I was always told to stay away from these Buick V6 that Jeep used.
The PIG Smith is offline  
Old October 19th, 2007, 12:45 PM   #8
PavementPounder
I am the law.
 
PavementPounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Birmingham, Michigan 48009
Posts: 29,823
iTrader: (224)
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The PIG Smith View Post
Would you say these are better than swaping in a Chevy 4.3L V6?
I was always told to stay away from these Buick V6 that Jeep used.
That's mostly because people don't understand them. They say things like that for the same reason that people suggest swapping a Chevy 350 in place of an AMC V8. The 225's became 231's after a couple years. The 231 was carried for a long time and eventually became more commonly known as the "Buick 3.8". 225's share bolt-pattern compatibility all the way up to the mid-80's when the 3800 appeared. If you should happen to blow one up, there's a ton of shit you can get replacements from, including fuel-injected Buick cars.

I don't exactly remember his User Name, but I think it was IndyCJ (or something) that used to run the Buick V6's in his Jeep. IIRC, he built one that liked to spin up so much that he actually disliked it because it was too much power for his liking whern trying to drive in a technical manner. You can do a lot with them and there's actually a lot of aftermarket parts out there.

Also of note is the fact that Buick 350's drop in place of the V6's. The motor mounts and block/transmission patterns are the same. You just need to change out the grille or cut away the built-in "fan shroud" from the stock grille to make a little more room for the extra cylinders. This is particularly nice for Commando owners that have TH400's.



PavementPounder is offline  
Old October 19th, 2007, 01:02 PM   #9
The PIG Smith
Senior Member
 
The PIG Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-19-07
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Posts: 127
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PavementPounder View Post
That's mostly because people don't understand them. They say things like that for the same reason that people suggest swapping a Chevy 350 in place of an AMC V8. The 225's became 231's after a couple years. The 231 was carried for a long time and eventually became more commonly known as the "Buick 3.8". 225's share bolt-pattern compatibility all the way up to the mid-80's when the 3800 appeared. If you should happen to blow one up, there's a ton of shit you can get replacements from, including fuel-injected Buick cars.

I don't exactly remember his User Name, but I think it was IndyCJ (or something) that used to run the Buick V6's in his Jeep. IIRC, he built one that liked to spin up so much that he actually disliked it because it was too much power for his liking whern trying to drive in a technical manner. You can do a lot with them and there's actually a lot of aftermarket parts out there.

Also of note is the fact that Buick 350's drop in place of the V6's. The motor mounts and block/transmission patterns are the same. You just need to change out the grille or cut away the built-in "fan shroud" from the stock grille to make a little more room for the extra cylinders. This is particularly nice for Commando owners that have TH400's.
Thanx for the education.
I've never owned a Jeep or any car that was Buick powered.

Are the 3.8L Engines from modern front wheel drive cars the same as these?
There are bunches of those around...some with superchargers! OOOYESS!

BTW, I am a very loyal AMC V8 enthusiast and owner.

Last edited by The PIG Smith; October 21st, 2007 at 04:19 PM.
The PIG Smith is offline  
Old October 19th, 2007, 01:08 PM   #10
PavementPounder
I am the law.
 
PavementPounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Birmingham, Michigan 48009
Posts: 29,823
iTrader: (224)
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The PIG Smith View Post
Are the 3.8L Engines from modern front wheel drive cars the same as these?
There are bunches of those around...some with superchargers! OOOYESS!
No, those are 3800's. If it says 3800 on it, its not the same block.

Buick V6's with turbos like GN's & Turbo T/A's were 3.8's, which are compatible.



PavementPounder is offline  
Old October 19th, 2007, 01:13 PM   #11
jeepfreak81
81 inches of fun
 
jeepfreak81's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-10-05
Location: Lennon, Mi
Posts: 14,103
iTrader: (25)
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jeepfreak81 Send a message via MSN to jeepfreak81 Send a message via Yahoo to jeepfreak81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The PIG Smith View Post
Would you say these are better than swaping in a Chevy 4.3L V6?
I was always told to stay away from these Buick V6 that Jeep used.
I agree with Pavement Pounder below... they are a really good motor, with a FI system adapted I think they would be right there with the 4.3. The only reason to go to the 4.3 would be interchangeability of parts with the V8 Chevy's IMO because the parts are so common off the shelf. The 225 is very swappable with the later 3.8 motors so off the shelf parts are common, but once in a great while you have to order stuff, but is still readily accessible. Junkyard stuff isn't as common since the older cars have been getting crushed with steel so high. The motor fully dressed is in the 400 lb range, is very light, and very easy to cool, you have to have a pretty serious cooling problem to get one to overheat.

The only 'bad' thing about the 225 is because it is an 'oddfire' motor they are supposed to be harder on timing sets. BUT there are aftermarket kits that take care of this. The oddfire has a very unique sound to it as well. The 225 version was made into about 1972ish IIRC then they became 231 Oddfires, The Buick V6 switched over to an even fire setup around 1974-1975ish to help with the vibration and smooth out the idle.

www.earlycj5.com has ALL the Buick V6 info you can want, or links to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PavementPounder View Post
That's mostly because people don't understand them. They say things like that for the same reason that people suggest swapping a Chevy 350 in place of an AMC V8. The 225's became 231's after a couple years. The 231 was carried for a long time and eventually became more commonly known as the "Buick 3.8". 225's share bolt-pattern compatibility all the way up to the mid-80's when the 3800 appeared. If you should happen to blow one up, there's a ton of shit you can get replacements from, including fuel-injected Buick cars.

I don't exactly remember his User Name, but I think it was IndyCJ (or something) that used to run the Buick V6's in his Jeep. IIRC, he built one that liked to spin up so much that he actually disliked it because it was too much power for his liking whern trying to drive in a technical manner. You can do a lot with them and there's actually a lot of aftermarket parts out there.

Also of note is the fact that Buick 350's drop in place of the V6's. The motor mounts and block/transmission patterns are the same. You just need to change out the grille or cut away the built-in "fan shroud" from the stock grille to make a little more room for the extra cylinders. This is particularly nice for Commando owners that have TH400's.

RenegadeII has a Buick V6 in his CJ5, pretty built up... IIRC bored out to 4.1L but it was an even-fire motor IIRC. He is the one that originally got me to keep the Buick V6 for my project after hearing/seeing his Jeep.
jeepfreak81 is offline  
Old October 19th, 2007, 01:41 PM   #12
The PIG Smith
Senior Member
 
The PIG Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-19-07
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Posts: 127
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Once again, thanx for the info and education.
Okay...my brain has reached its quota for knowledge today, I need to go lay down now. hehehe
The PIG Smith is offline  
Old October 19th, 2007, 03:26 PM   #13
Shaguardriver
I'd wheel it!
 
Shaguardriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-04-07
Location: Ionia MI
Posts: 667
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default Still for sale?

Is it still for Sale? Did it start?
Shaguardriver is offline  
Old October 19th, 2007, 06:09 PM   #14
PavementPounder
I am the law.
 
PavementPounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Birmingham, Michigan 48009
Posts: 29,823
iTrader: (224)
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Default

Yes, its still for sale. I haven't bothered with it yet.



PavementPounder is offline  
Old October 25th, 2007, 10:41 AM   #15
howell_jeep
Last Free Man
 
howell_jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-09-06
Location: Howell Twp, MI 48836
Posts: 10,836
iTrader: (69)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

PP, is the 8th picture, is that a roll cage that would fit my '79 cj5? If so PM me a price for it.
howell_jeep is offline  
Old October 25th, 2007, 10:43 AM   #16
PavementPounder
I am the law.
 
PavementPounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Birmingham, Michigan 48009
Posts: 29,823
iTrader: (224)
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by howell_jeep View Post
PP, is the 8th picture, is that a roll cage that would fit my '79 cj5? If so PM me a price for it.
No, its not. That's something else.



PavementPounder is offline  
Old November 6th, 2007, 09:29 PM   #17
Budman
 
Join Date: 10-09-06
Posts: 156
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Dang No Tunes, Not even an 8Track Player!
Looks pretty solid for the year,
Wish I had the extra $$$, Bump for ya!

Budman is offline  
Old November 7th, 2007, 08:35 AM   #18
Searchin4acj
Got Sand???
 
Searchin4acj's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-06
Location: Richmond, Michigan
Posts: 1,160
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Searchin4acj
Default

would you take like 600
Searchin4acj is offline  
Old November 7th, 2007, 08:38 AM   #19
nate4d
Gnarley Davidson
 
nate4d's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-09-06
Location: Westland/Hale
Posts: 3,520
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to nate4d
Default

those seats look really uncomfy.
nate4d is offline  
Old November 7th, 2007, 08:41 AM   #20
PavementPounder
I am the law.
 
PavementPounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Birmingham, Michigan 48009
Posts: 29,823
iTrader: (224)
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searchin4acj View Post
would you take like 600
Yes, but you don't get the NT D44 front for that price.



PavementPounder is offline  
 
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > Great Lakes 4x4 Marketplace > Completed Sales

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jeep Grand Cherokee (93-98) "Limited" trim starter kit - $40 *SOLD* mrclean Completed Sales 2 August 18th, 2009 10:24 PM
1968 john deere 110"SOLD" hawkscj5 Completed Sales 2 July 15th, 2009 04:49 PM
Project "Spartan" 1977 K5 Blazer "Drove it yesterday and new pics" Hoss Blazer Rig Builds and Pics 35 June 16th, 2009 09:01 AM
"""SOLD""" New Extreme Duty Rocker Guards $150.00 fits TJ & YJ """SOLD""" Nerv Completed Sales 10 June 11th, 2009 03:40 PM
1989 xj 4" lift $800 good deal mojave01x2 Vehicles for sale 2 March 10th, 2009 02:31 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:59 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
 
Page generated in 0.48437 seconds with 86 queries