Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

2 time award winning Project "YJ-8 Wrambler"

61K views 333 replies 41 participants last post by  Wramblerguy 
#1 · (Edited)
well i figured my rig is pretty unique so i decided to do a build tread
its basically a wrangler frame stretched 10 inches in the middle and out the back with a scrambler tub and yj drivetrain and electronics
frame stretch

initial mock up

the motor is a 95 2.5L with (in this pic ax5) dana 30/35 with posi

we went with a 4 inch spring in the front and spring over in the back

See less See more
#2 ·
next came the fiberglass body
we saved all the goodies off the steel body (rollbar, bulkhead, top and tailgate)

that prety much was all the parts to get it put together
the yj fenders made mouting all the factory pieces much easier
we ended up using a yj dash and column as well
it all came together just in time for a run up at silver lake in august of 09
and the lighweight body made all the diference
this jeep does good in the dunes

#4 · (Edited)
last winter was paint, body, and power time
i installed a 4.0 throttle body, electric fan, made a throttle body spacer, and my dad welded up a 2.5 inch stainless exaust

the next upgrade was the notorious ax5 it never had 5th gear since we put it in the jeep so it was time for a change
i picked up a factory cj 2.5L belhousing for a t5 and picked up a t5 from someone on here
the only thing that had to be done was to weld in the crank position sensor

the 231 got a slip yolk eliminator at the same time
this is the whole setup

the fenders were getting rusty so we thought up some diamond plate ones

it was also time to go from a triple tone to a rattle can tan :thumb:
this pic also shows the diamond plate rear bumper

this is prety close to what it looks like now

#9 · (Edited)
here is some more random pictures
i am a third generation jeeper
from the left is my dads 48 all original with three point hitch and pto, next is my grandpas original 66 tuxedo park cj5 with the oddfire buick v6, then my jeep, then my dads diamond plate cj7

this is a picture of after a trip to bundy hill

this is the package that the original body got sold with

a good stuck picture that shows the spare tire carrier

lil dirty

couple action shots

as you can tell i have alot of pictures but here is the link to the rest
http://s1096.photobucket.com/albums/g331/wramblerguy/
http://s1096.photobucket.com/albums/g331/wramblerguy/Facebook/My Wrambler/

#10 · (Edited)
i have a factory heater, windsheild squirter and correct collum i will be putting in in the next couple weeks along with a new engine harness and maybe dash harness too
i am also going to put a two way vacuum switch in instead of the one on the transfer case to switch the cad unit on the axle because ive been having problems with it
my future plans also include Wagoneer Dana 44s with 4.88s a Detroit rear and some form of a posi or lunch box up front ( i already have the axles)

a supercharger, i already have the eaton m62 supercharger and all the material and elbows i need to make it work, physically at least, electronics is just the problem

in the distant future my plans include a tummy tuck, a lower profile aluminum fuel tank, a 6 point rollcage (ive already got a fully tied in 4 point roll bar) with removable bars to take the hard top off and on and an aluminum diamond plate front bumper the same style as my rear

#13 ·
update

well i have been collecting some more parts

and i got my new console installed today

i need someone to buy my suburban so i can but gears and lockers for my 44s

#14 ·
well i was busy tonight.
i pulled my old heater, dash, and steering column out and i changed some things around and started to mount my new heater

under dash a/c unit converted to a heater, removed

gutted of everything but the dash harness

mach up

test fit with couple holes drilled including the hole for the motor

how it currently sits

#17 ·
lol, ya i was busy
im headed back out to the barn in a little bit, hopefully i will have the heater in tonight

#19 ·
well tonight was a frustrating but still productive night
ive got the lower half of the heater mounted and hooked up mostly, and it fought me most of the way.
i drilled a bunch of holes in the 1/4 in angle iron we added originally as a cowel stiffner so that my defrost will work...started drilling too high but figured it out for the drivers side. thats the only side that matters right?
well tomorrow i get to cut a big hole in the cowel for the fresh air intake so that should be fun but i should finish that up tomorrow along with the windsheild squirters and hopefully i will have it done for silver lake this weekend

this is how it currently sits

#20 ·
update

well ive got it back together, i finished it last weekend
i got the new column in and finished the heater install
got the holes cut in the cowl
i got my washer bottle bracket sand blasted and painted and squirters and tank mounted

i dont have any pics of it all buttoned up but here is it close

#21 ·
well last weekend i was just looking through the wrench and save as i do from time to time and came across some parts i had to have
one was a xj dana 44
and the other was zj dana 35 disc brakes

bracket on the left is sand blasted and primed
hopefully i will have discs all around by the end of the week

#23 ·
Update

so today after a meet a greet i tore into the rear end
i pulled the cover and the fluid was a little light but not bad at all, and everything else looked good (like it should)

i then pulled the drums off to find this behind the passenger side drum

a leaky seal, which would explain the little bit of water in the fluid
i pulled the center pin and c-clips and got a better look at the leaky seal

i figure i will just do both seals while i have it all apart
i then pulled the backing plates off, cleaned up the housing and mocked up the drivers side brakes to make sure it would all work

and all looks good
and then i decided it was enough and i had gotten alot done in about an hour and a half
so this is how it sits

so tomorrow i need to get two seals and hopefully some shorter brake hoses and i should be able to finish it up:woot:

#24 ·
well today i replaced both seals because the one was bad and i figured i might as well do them while the axles are out
and i put it all together
now im just hoping that my brake hoses get in tomorrow, i will have to fab and weld a little tab then i can fill the diff with fluid and fill and bleed the brakes and be done

it ended up to be a really easy straight forward swap

#25 ·
Update

well today i about finished it up
i fabed the mounting tabs for the brake hoses, welded them to the tube and hooked everything up

i filled the dif and did a grease job, all thats left to do is fill up the brakes and bleed them
i thew the tires on and tightened them up....and stripped out a stud, fuck

so i am going to have to pull it apart to change a stud now, great but i guess thats one of those jeep things...your never done

#26 ·
well i changed the stud, bled the brakes and finished the back
i went to the front to check the bearings....i had like an inch of play at the top of the tire sooo

it needs 2 new unit bearing and it has needed a passenger side seal for a while so ill do that too

now im just waiting for the parts store to get the parts and ill throw it back together and actually be about to drive the thing

#27 ·
well today i finished all the big stuff
this is what i started with

i changed the passenger side axle seal major pita
followed by the new unit bearing
then a new u joint on the passenger side axle

followed by another unit bearing
so tomorrow i can throw it all together and top off the front dif
and finally go for a test drive

i started with just doing a disc brake conversion and ended up doing both seals on the back
two unit bearing, a seal in the front and a u-joint

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.