Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Deranged 3.0

37K views 250 replies 42 participants last post by  robn69 
#1 · (Edited)
I am once again re-building my truck. I had a pretty good combo last year that performed quite well. It did however have its weaknesses and areas that needed improvement. Instead of just fixing the few things I decided to start from ground zero again and use my 79 F-250 frame and power train as a platform instead of the weak ranger frame. I will be moving to 42" TSL's on H1's, Dana 60 Front w/ 5:13 and detroit locker, Dana 80 rear w/ 5:13 and detroit, 460 CI BBF, built C6 manual, and np205.

I am hoping to have this done by April/May 2010.

These are some pics of the start of the project which meant a complete dis-assembly of the truck and scrapping out the unneeded parts.

Attachments

See less See more
#218 ·
I think John is still uploading pics to www.unemployedfilms.com si maybe check there. I guess we were having too much fun driving that the picture taking wasn't a priority. Maybe I can do better next time.

#220 ·
The waiting begins!!!!

Just placed the order for my new tcase, 8 weeks from now it should be on the way to my house.

Also, have new Crane knuckles waiting to be painted and installed. The knuckles that are on the axle were broken summer '11 and repaired last winter. Wouldn't be too surprised if they are broken again after the beating I gave the rig last summer.

#223 ·
Going backwards more than forward lately. Cab is now gone, getting ready to make some changes to the overall appearance and layout. Will be running a tube body, it will be shorter and lower, new PRP seats, Artec ram mount, and some form of 3/4 link for the front.

Dropped the transmission off to a friend to have the output shaft changed to the short version and have everything else checked while it was apart. That turned out to be a nightmare, low-rev clutch is smoked, so a rebuild is on the list for winter projects. Just going to run my backup trans for now since it is all set-up with the short housing. Its not built at all but with the reduction of the Atlas I think it will last for the 2-3 trips I hope to get in this summer.

Current state of disassembly -

I have a ton of work to get done in the next few weeks, with some help it can be done!!

#226 ·
That is the plan, might need some help but it should be do-able. Once I get the cage/body done, the re-assembly should go rather quickly since everything is already there. The wiring will be the last thing to do, if I run short on time I only need to wire the MSD, engine and trans cooler fans, and the starter to make it trail ready.

#231 ·
I am going to Drummond with or without the truck. Hope it gets done, but I will still have a good time up there either way.

Did you find that 2 person sleeping bag yet?:D

NOT sent from an iPhone

#234 ·
Sounds good to me!

I decided to only do the essential stuff right now, should save some build time.

NOT sent from an iPhone

#235 ·
With some help from Tonka toy some progress (sometimes backwards is progress) was made yesterday. Front axle is ready for its changes, and the bare frame is ready for some forward progress.

Found some carnage that was unnoticed previously - had been wondering why the frame sat so crooked to the passenger side. Originally assumed is was a combination of the bent radius arm and panhard bar up front forcing the softer rear springs to lean. Found out after pulling the rear shocks that the shaft is bent in the right rear. Over a 6" section there is 3/16 of bend which has the shaft bound in the body.

New shaft and seal kit should arrive Monday or Tuesday.

I have tracking numbers for the atlas as well, it should arrive Friday.

NOT sent from an iPhone

Attachments

#242 ·
If I had more time and money right now it would be. I decided to spend all my winter upgrade money on new seats and an Atlas this winter instead of a new chassis. I am going to abuse this one for another couple years. Still figuring out exactly what I want before building a complete chassis.

Tacked together

Seats

The Atlas has landed ..

NOT sent from an iPhone

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.