Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Kmart Craftsman Tool Exchange?

9K views 40 replies 17 participants last post by  busyfixin 
#1 ·
Since Sears and Kmart are affiliated now and Kmart is selling Craftsman tools, does anyone know if Kmart is taking Craftsman tool trade-ins? There really isn't a Sears around me anymore and I have a jacked ratchet that needs replaced. Anyone know?

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

#5 ·
No go on Kmart.

The lady at customer service told me she can only take it back with a receipt. I explained the lifetime warranty on hand tools and told her "out of all the years I have bought and exchanged Craftsman tools, this is the first time I have ever been asked for a receipt". She told me they don't deal with the warranty exchanges at Kmart because they only stock a limited supply of Craftsman items. I basically told her they shouldn't be selling them at all if they won't uphold the warranty on the items they sell.

I guess I will try ACE next. There is one on my way home. The only Sears left anywhere near me is a bit of a haul. There used to be one near my work, but of course it has closed (that's actually where I tried to go before Kmart).

Might be high time to find a new brand of tools. I have so many Craftsman, though, and the lifetime warranty is so nice and (used to be) convenient. Once Sears is inevitably gone, what is going to happen to the Craftsman brand and all those tools still warrantied?

#9 ·
Not really. I stopped at ACE but they are in the process of phasing old stuff out and phasing in Craftsman. I was told it was based on an "as they sell" basis concerning a replacement timeline. Needless to say, they didn't have any ratchets yet, just some odds and ends and some full sets. I did, however, find out that ACE now has a contract with Sears to stock and sell the Craftsman line of tools, so there is at least hope for the future. Looks like for now, though, I am going to make the trek to the next closest Sears.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

#11 ·
I agree that Sears is a sinking ship, however this deal with ACE to start carrying the Craftsman brand has hope. Honestly, I have spent a lot of money over the years in Craftsman tools and one of the reasons I bought that particular brand was because of the lifetime "no questions asked" exchange type warranty (not the only reason, mind you...just one reason). I would hate to have to start spending more money to replace my failed tools (after beating with a 3 lbs sledge to break bolts free, sometimes my ratchets need to be replaced) with new ones, because the brand all but died out. I have said for a while now that Kenmore and Craftsman kept Sear afloat, so they are worth keeping in some regard (maybe independent, maybe not). Hopefully this is a good investment for ACE (I think it will be) and they can continue on with the Craftsman line.

#17 ·
I have 2 aces within a mile from me (not sure how they both survived that last merge or whatever). Both have had most craftsman tools for at least a year and have been great in regards to replacement. But they must have it loose in stock, wont take it from a set. i almost had a girl give me the 50$ professional 1/2in ratchet instead of the regular, sadly she asked for confirmation lol...

#18 ·
That's was my understanding also, as it was explained. The ACE close to me is in the process of phasing out old and phasing in Craftsman. Unfortunately, though, they are waiting to sell off all the old so there were no loose ratchets to exchange for me.

#24 ·
It really makes me sad to see what Sears has become. They started out mail order, they should have had the internet sales thing figured out and been at the forefront. Instead old white men thought the internet would never take off or something. Their website was still shit the last time I went.

I've still been buying Craftsman, but from my local ACE. I wish they carried the full line though. They don't carry hardly any of the cordless drill stuff.

#26 ·
I've still been buying Craftsman, but from my local ACE. I wish they carried the full line though. They don't carry hardly any of the cordless drill stuff.
It's been 10 years since I got any Craftsman cordless tools, but the top of the line at the time 19.2V stuff I got is garbage compared to my 20V Dewalt. Has it improved any?

#28 ·
My 19.2 stuff is at least 13 years old. I converted into li-ion when the batteries fried. The new li-ion batteries are junk unless you buy the 4ah extreme ones at $99 a pop.

I've remodeled one house from top to bottom, built multiple jeeps and other stuff with it all. @Jeepaholic could attest that we abuse the shit out of it. :sonicjay:

Everyone always says they are garbage, but I have never had an issue. The 4.5" grinder is a little weak.

#33 ·
I used to be Craftsman, then I started using it every day and depending on it to make a living. No more, and Sears getting involved with KMart made it worse. The last time I had ratchets replaced they didn't have the same ones as replacements. After I exchange them I put them on ebay and get them out of my life. It definitely would not hurt my feelings if they went under. Things just aren't the same with them.

#41 ·
I went in to Sears this morning to exchange two ratchets. A standard "teardrop" 1/4" and a full polished round head w/thumbwheel. They swapped out the teardrop and offered me the same cheap teardrop for my thumbwheel ratchet. I declined and she said to stry again I a few weeks to see if they have anything else when they get a shipment of warranty exchange tools as they are pretty much cleaned out right now.

I looked up my thumbwheel ratchet, and it's apparently from the early to mid '80s and deffinitely not availabe any longer. Word is it was made by Stanley and they may have a rebuild kit available.

I really like the ratchet and have no desire to trade it for another "teardrop" as I probably have half a dozen already and rarely use that style.

So now I get to either try to order and pay for parts for my lifetime warranty tool, or try to trade it in again with another assosiate who knows a ratchet from a washing machine, and hope to trade it for a "premium" ratchet.

I've had MAC tools break that are no longer available and they give me my choice of similar tool, or the cash value in truck credit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.