LS Powered Jeep Willys Pickup - Page 8 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Rig Builds and Pics
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Rig Builds and Pics Introduce your rig or post a buildup here.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old April 16th, 2018, 11:12 AM   #141
Woodyjiw
FUCK CANCER!!!
 
Woodyjiw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-07-07
Location: Muskegon MI
Posts: 1,497
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Default

Looks good!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Woodyjiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old April 16th, 2018, 11:34 AM   #142
Ryanw10
Senior Member
 
Ryanw10's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-08-12
Location: Holland
Posts: 1,957
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodyjiw View Post
Looks good!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Ryanw10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2018, 11:45 AM   #143
JohnnyJ
Low Range Drifter
 
JohnnyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Hartland, MI
Posts: 7,900
iTrader: (38)
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Default

What's your projected wheelbase? What size are the rollers?

I think pickups can handle a bit bigger tire, especially if the wheelbase is longer. 35 would also help with break over angle.
JohnnyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old April 16th, 2018, 11:59 AM   #144
Ryanw10
Senior Member
 
Ryanw10's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-08-12
Location: Holland
Posts: 1,957
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJ View Post
What's your projected wheelbase? What size are the rollers?

I think pickups can handle a bit bigger tire, especially if the wheelbase is longer. 35 would also help with break over angle.
Wheelbase of 116" and those are 35" trepadors that are true to there size.

Keep in mind this thing is not going to be a dedicated rock crawler. It is going to be a Sunday car show, dune runner and very mild wheeler. It would kill me to see the cab and fenders get all scratched and dented to hell from any serious offroading.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Ryanw10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2018, 12:32 PM   #145
JohnnyJ
Low Range Drifter
 
JohnnyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Hartland, MI
Posts: 7,900
iTrader: (38)
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanw10 View Post
Wheelbase of 116" and those are 35" trepadors that are true to there size.

Keep in mind this thing is not going to be a dedicated rock crawler. It is going to be a Sunday car show, dune runner and very mild wheeler. It would kill me to see the cab and fenders get all scratched and dented to hell from any serious offroading.
Yeah, but you do need some break over angle for test hill.
JohnnyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2018, 12:37 PM   #146
Ryanw10
Senior Member
 
Ryanw10's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-08-12
Location: Holland
Posts: 1,957
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJ View Post
Yeah, but you do need some break over angle for test hill.
Very valid point, I think I mis-interpreted break over angle as approach angle when I first read your post for some reason.

My brother with his extended cab short bed Silverado on 33's struggles quite a bit with that. Next time I see his truck I will have to get a belly height measurement on it to compare

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Ryanw10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2018, 07:51 PM   #147
Toyfish
Senior Member
 
Toyfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-05-10
Location: lapeer, MI
Posts: 3,767
iTrader: (36)
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Default

Looks like u should keep the 35s on it so u have a excuse to go 37s on the tj! Lol

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
Toyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2018, 09:01 PM   #148
Ryanw10
Senior Member
 
Ryanw10's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-08-12
Location: Holland
Posts: 1,957
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyfish View Post
Looks like u should keep the 35s on it so u have a excuse to go 37s on the tj! Lol

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
I like this plan

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Ryanw10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2018, 08:16 AM   #149
Ryanw10
Senior Member
 
Ryanw10's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-08-12
Location: Holland
Posts: 1,957
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Default

I finished rebuilding the transmission and bolted it up last night, next up is figuring out a crossmember.



Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Ryanw10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2018, 12:24 PM   #150
Ryanw10
Senior Member
 
Ryanw10's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-08-12
Location: Holland
Posts: 1,957
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Default

Sitting on its own weight for the first time in almost a year

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Ryanw10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2018, 08:00 AM   #151
frdboy
Senior Member
 
frdboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-16-13
Location: Grand Haven
Posts: 14,213
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Default

Nice work!
frdboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2018, 08:06 AM   #152
Ryanw10
Senior Member
 
Ryanw10's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-08-12
Location: Holland
Posts: 1,957
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frdboy View Post
Nice work!
Thanks!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Ryanw10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2018, 08:32 AM   #153
greygoose
Gustafson
 
greygoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-08
Location: New Baltimore / Presque Isle
Posts: 8,394
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

I like it!
greygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2018, 04:52 PM   #154
Ryanw10
Senior Member
 
Ryanw10's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-08-12
Location: Holland
Posts: 1,957
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Default

Does anybody have input for a transmission crossmember with 1 bushing in the middle vs. 1 at the frame on each side?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Ryanw10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2018, 07:10 PM   #155
mtnbiker995
American
 
Join Date: 09-07-14
Location: Dorr
Posts: 1,447
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanw10 View Post
Does anybody have input for a transmission crossmember with 1 bushing in the middle vs. 1 at the frame on each side?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
If I go flat belly with this drivetrain I'm going to ditch the factory set up for a x-member with a bushing on each end instead.
mtnbiker995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2018, 07:33 PM   #156
Ryanw10
Senior Member
 
Ryanw10's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-08-12
Location: Holland
Posts: 1,957
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker995 View Post
If I go flat belly with this drivetrain I'm going to ditch the factory set up for a x-member with a bushing on each end instead.
I wouldn't if I was you with stock motor mounts. I built my wrangler crossmember with a poly bushing at each end and I was fighting t case adapter bolts coming loose. It got worse as my Novak motor mounts got more wore out.

You want your motor mounts to handle the majority of the torsional load, not the trans mount. And in my case with the wrangler the transmission mount was more rigid and that's why my bolts kept coming loose. With the new rebuild though this will be a non issue.

With the willys since it won't see the abuse that the wrangler does I'm thinking a single bushing in the middle of the crossmember for the transmission. That way the motor mounts will for sure handle almost all the torsional load.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Ryanw10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2018, 07:44 PM   #157
mtnbiker995
American
 
Join Date: 09-07-14
Location: Dorr
Posts: 1,447
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanw10 View Post
I wouldn't if I was you with stock motor mounts. I built my wrangler crossmember with a poly bushing at each end and I was fighting t case adapter bolts coming loose. It got worse as my Novak motor mounts got more wore out.

You want your motor mounts to handle the majority of the torsional load, not the trans mount. And in my case with the wrangler the transmission mount was more rigid and that's why my bolts kept coming loose. With the new rebuild though this will be a non issue.

With the willys since it won't see the abuse that the wrangler does I'm thinking a single bushing in the middle of the crossmember for the transmission. That way the motor mounts will for sure handle almost all the torsional load.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
If I go flat belly, my plan is to make new motor mounts too so I had that factored in.

But I highly doubt you seeing an issue, I don't have an issue with my factory set up which is just a rubber mount in the middle of the cross member.
mtnbiker995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2018, 09:54 AM   #158
bbaXJ
Yooper In Training
 
bbaXJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-29-06
Location: Fowlertucky, MI
Posts: 6,809
iTrader: (66)
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to bbaXJ
Default

Outboarded transmission mounts are a bad idea regardless of the type of motor mounts. You need 3 points to establish the mounting plane, adding more is only putting undue stresses on everything. More than one person has broken a transmission housing doing this. Remember, it's not just about stress from the drivetrain, the chassis is also twisting and putting loads on things. Overconstrain your powertrain mounts and now you're putting torsional loads through your thin, brittle, cast aluminum transmission case that it was never designed to experience.
bbaXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2018, 10:07 AM   #159
Ryanw10
Senior Member
 
Ryanw10's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-08-12
Location: Holland
Posts: 1,957
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaXJ View Post
Outboarded transmission mounts are a bad idea regardless of the type of motor mounts. You need 3 points to establish the mounting plane, adding more is only putting undue stresses on everything. More than one person has broken a transmission housing doing this. Remember, it's not just about stress from the drivetrain, the chassis is also twisting and putting loads on things. Overconstrain your powertrain mounts and now you're putting torsional loads through your thin, brittle, cast aluminum transmission case that it was never designed to experience.
Thanks for the info, if I end up having to re do my wrangler transmission crossmember because of the new motor position I will probably consider 1 center mounted bushing instead of 2 outboarded.

I gotta ask though, why is it that the majority of "offroad" universal crossmember kits come with 2 bushings and intend for them to be mounted outboarded? Space constraints to maintain flat belly? Or maybe they assume it's going on something with a roll cage tied into the frame at multiple points so chassis flex is very limited?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Ryanw10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2018, 03:27 PM   #160
bbaXJ
Yooper In Training
 
bbaXJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-29-06
Location: Fowlertucky, MI
Posts: 6,809
iTrader: (66)
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to bbaXJ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanw10 View Post
Thanks for the info, if I end up having to re do my wrangler transmission crossmember because of the new motor position I will probably consider 1 center mounted bushing instead of 2 outboarded.

I gotta ask though, why is it that the majority of "offroad" universal crossmember kits come with 2 bushings and intend for them to be mounted outboarded? Space constraints to maintain flat belly? Or maybe they assume it's going on something with a roll cage tied into the frame at multiple points so chassis flex is very limited?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Because people don't know any better. Kind of like the dozens of companies who sell, and thousands of people who run, "anti-wrap" bars that are just single bars running from axle to frame with fixed mounts at both ends. It's wrong, it fights the suspension constantly, but it's cheap, easy, somewhat effective, and doesn't usually cause catastrophic failure so people eat it up.
bbaXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Rig Builds and Pics

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1940-49 Willy's Jeep Questions Cool Hand Luke Jeep Tech 0 June 17th, 2016 07:34 PM
Jeep Willys CJ 5 1957 - $1350 (Grand Haven Mi) cerial Ebay / Craigslist / Auction Links 1 December 7th, 2015 10:56 AM
1960 Willys Jeep CJ-5 37k Miles $1000 tcxtreme1000 Vehicles for sale 8 September 21st, 2015 12:12 PM
*SOLD* "Saddle Brown" Jeep Commander leather seats (great for Willys Jeeps) 1x1_Speed_Craig Completed Sales 3 May 9th, 2015 08:30 PM
1999 Jeep Wrangler W/ LS 5.3L, Long arms, ETC sonic Vehicles for sale 15 October 6th, 2014 05:17 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
 
Page generated in 0.63512 seconds with 87 queries