Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Mercruiser head gaskets

7K views 47 replies 13 participants last post by  bamideleolalekan870 
#1 ·
Brought home a new to me chris craft on sunday for a great price. The previous owner said both motors run good, but the starboard side was always at a different RPM. Compression test revealed that the port side of the starboard motor is not doing so hot, and there was definitely a slight amount of water in at least 3 of the cylinders. Starboard side of the motor seemed good until my compression tester took a crap on the last cylinder. Going to get a working tester and get the compression in the last cylinder, and the question is, do I leave that side alone if the compression is 115 or more? Or since I'm going to have the other side apart pull both heads off. Oil is nice and clean on the dip stick, and if the meter is right, it has 650 hours.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

See less See more
#44 ·
Yea I'm a big fan of the teak too. I used tung oil on the swin platform of our liberator and that worked really well, going to try and do the same to the chris craft this week. I got fluid on both drives changed this weekend and new fuel filters on both motors. I'm going to take it out on one for lake run to make sure everything is good and then most likely put it up for sale.

I got the liberator outdrive apart right now replacing the gimbal bearing and a driveshaft seal. If the chris craft hasn't sold by the time I get the liberator back up and going it will probably go for sale too and I'll keep whichever sells first.

#45 ·
Pulled this home tonight. Same motor as the chris craft and also needs a top end rebuild. What I wanted to do when I first saw it for sale was swap the aluminum trailer over to the chris craft but unfortunately it's a 6000 lb capacity and the one under the chris craft is 7000 lb. Plan now is to just rebuild the top end and put it up for sale.

#47 ·
The Chris Craft is for sale. It's a fun boat but unfortunately financially it doesnt make sense for us to keep it over the liberator. We have had it out on the water a lot already and it is running great, we have made it to saugutuk from holland at least 4 times already and a few more times just a cruise around the pier head and lake mac. Top speed I have seen is about 55 mph.

Asking $9500 but for a great lakes member I'll take less, or if a great lakes member finds me a buyer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.