Black Friday Man Deals? - Page 5 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old November 19th, 2018, 08:27 PM   #81
Lousypirate
Whoop Whoop
 
Lousypirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-11-08
Location: Marne 49435
Posts: 17,217
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Default

Dammit. Should have waited on my winters.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________



The Kernel (46 CJ2a)

Mary Jane
Lousypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old November 19th, 2018, 08:40 PM   #82
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 29,598
iTrader: (26)
Mentioned: 175 Post(s)
Default

Need to find a new garage door opener. Any suggestions?
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2018, 09:59 PM   #83
jeepfreak81
81 inches of fun
 
jeepfreak81's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-10-05
Location: Lennon, Mi
Posts: 14,118
iTrader: (25)
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jeepfreak81 Send a message via MSN to jeepfreak81 Send a message via Yahoo to jeepfreak81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
Need to find a new garage door opener. Any suggestions?
I've been curious about the Liftmaster wall mounts. Nothing overhead to deal with.
jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2018, 11:08 PM   #84
jpr Jeremy
LS Powered
 
jpr Jeremy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-05-07
Location: coleman, mi
Posts: 824
iTrader: (15)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepfreak81 View Post
I've been curious about the Liftmaster wall mounts. Nothing overhead to deal with.


I’ve been in the garage door industry for 20 years, and our company has been a liftmaster dealer for over 30 years.

Those operators are very temperamental and they’re prone to throwing cables. The doors have to be balanced 100% perfect, and they don’t seem do well with wide doors. I won’t even install a demo model that was given to me on my own door.

You can’t go wrong with the new liftmaster 8160 DC chain drives, they’re super quiet and smooth running, they have a strong single piece T-rail, and they’re cheaper than the 8500 side mounts. They come WiFi ready out of the box, you can control them on your phone from anywhere in the world.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jpr Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2018, 05:50 AM   #85
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 29,598
iTrader: (26)
Mentioned: 175 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr Jeremy View Post
I’ve been in the garage door industry for 20 years, and our company has been a liftmaster dealer for over 30 years.

Those operators are very temperamental and they’re prone to throwing cables. The doors have to be balanced 100% perfect, and they don’t seem do well with wide doors. I won’t even install a demo model that was given to me on my own door.

You can’t go wrong with the new liftmaster 8160 DC chain drives, they’re super quiet and smooth running, they have a strong single piece T-rail, and they’re cheaper than the 8500 side mounts. They come WiFi ready out of the box, you can control them on your phone from anywhere in the world.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good to know. I have a 18' wide door and I'm currently set up for a center rail anyway. I'm just starting to do research so I only know about the box store models. Who sells lift master? edit: I see them on line and they say no rail but yet you say it has a T-rail. Can you explain?

Is the wfi thing really something that people use? Why do I need to operate my garage door remotely?

My biggest issue is that I have a Genie right now. When my whole house generator kicks on, it sends a frequency thru the wires that opens my garage door. We have gotten up in the middle of the night and/or come home to find our garage wide open and the heat blasting. Because of that, we now unplug our door opener any time we are going away over night.

Last edited by whiterhino; November 20th, 2018 at 05:53 AM.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2018, 06:49 AM   #86
jpr Jeremy
LS Powered
 
jpr Jeremy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-05-07
Location: coleman, mi
Posts: 824
iTrader: (15)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default Black Friday Man Deals?

@whiterhino You’ll have to find a dealer in your area to get the liftmaster line. Ward Bros in Davison might carry them, I can’t remember off hand. You can get them in Linden at Robert Zurrell co, they’ve been our exclusive distributor for ever. I know tom77cj5 also sold liftmaster.

The T-rail is a solid rail whereas your genie or other box store openers are all pieced together rails, which flex more and become weak over time. And honestly your box store models aren’t made to last long. It amazes me how much they drop the quality on the box store rails and related components.

The WiFi deal is nice because in your situation if the door were to open while you were gone it would alert your phone and you’d be able to close it. The good thing is liftmasters don’t have that problem when the power goes out and comes back on. We’ve had several complaints about the genies doing that.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jpr Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2018, 07:02 AM   #87
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 29,598
iTrader: (26)
Mentioned: 175 Post(s)
Default

Ok. All makes sense. So why is it when I look up that model on line it says no rail? That’s confusing. Does it come with all required parts or not?
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2018, 07:08 AM   #88
greygoose
Gustafson
 
greygoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-08
Location: New Baltimore / Presque Isle
Posts: 8,636
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Default

I've always been partial to Chamberlain myself. After I found out they made Craftsman garage door openers I started buying them at Menards.
greygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2018, 07:09 AM   #89
jpr Jeremy
LS Powered
 
jpr Jeremy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-05-07
Location: coleman, mi
Posts: 824
iTrader: (15)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
Ok. All makes sense. So why is it when I look up that model on line it says no rail? That’s confusing. Does it come with all required parts or not?


It honestly might be for shipping purposes, as the rails are 10’ long on a 7’ and 11’ long on an 8’ opener.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jpr Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2018, 07:14 AM   #90
jpr Jeremy
LS Powered
 
jpr Jeremy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-05-07
Location: coleman, mi
Posts: 824
iTrader: (15)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greygoose View Post
I've always been partial to Chamberlain myself. After I found out they made Craftsman garage door openers I started buying them at Menards.


You’re absolutely right. Chamberlain also makes the liftmaster line, which is their “professional line”, but you can usually go to a real garage door company and get a higher quality version for the same price or cheaper than the box stores sell them. Don’t get me wrong, chamberlain makes a good opener but their pieced together rails are shit compared to the liftmaster T-rail.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jpr Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2018, 07:28 AM   #91
Mihlfeldl2005
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
 
Mihlfeldl2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-04-11
Location: Fowlerville, MI
Posts: 3,678
iTrader: (19)
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Mihlfeldl2005 Send a message via Skype™ to Mihlfeldl2005
Default

I now know more about garage door openers than I ever needed to
Mihlfeldl2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2018, 08:16 AM   #92
JohnnyJ
Low Range Drifter
 
JohnnyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Hartland, MI
Posts: 7,953
iTrader: (38)
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Default

Back on the original topic, East Coast Gear Supply did do the 10% discount on my whole order. I picked up front and rear yokes, a lube locker, shaved 14-bolt gears and a 14-bolt solid spacer so I don't have to mess with the crush sleeve.
JohnnyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2018, 08:23 AM   #93
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 29,598
iTrader: (26)
Mentioned: 175 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr Jeremy View Post
You’re absolutely right. Chamberlain also makes the liftmaster line, which is their “professional line”, but you can usually go to a real garage door company and get a higher quality version for the same price or cheaper than the box stores sell them. Don’t get me wrong, chamberlain makes a good opener but their pieced together rails are shit compared to the liftmaster T-rail.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Back on the off topic topic, I've never had an issue with a multi piece rail. But the real question, (just to make Johnny happy ) is where can I get a great Black Friday deal on an opener.

Great news John! Get that thing done. tick tock tick tock
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2018, 08:53 AM   #94
Bones
skillicous
 
Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: South Lyon, MI
Posts: 12,847
iTrader: (39)
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Bones
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr Jeremy View Post
@whiterhino You’ll have to find a dealer in your area to get the liftmaster line. Ward Bros in Davison might carry them, I can’t remember off hand. You can get them in Linden at Robert Zurrell co, they’ve been our exclusive distributor for ever. I know tom77cj5 also sold liftmaster.

The T-rail is a solid rail whereas your genie or other box store openers are all pieced together rails, which flex more and become weak over time. And honestly your box store models aren’t made to last long. It amazes me how much they drop the quality on the box store rails and related components.

The WiFi deal is nice because in your situation if the door were to open while you were gone it would alert your phone and you’d be able to close it. The good thing is liftmasters don’t have that problem when the power goes out and comes back on. We’ve had several complaints about the genies doing that.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
any recommendations for a VERY budget friendly non-fancy shmancy opener for a 10x10 door? Will only be used once a week or so.
__________________
Inviscid Motorsports

Special Thanks and Recommendations to;
Motorcity Machines
Ironman Offroad
Branik Motorsports
Maxxis Tires

Raceline Wheels
PAC Racing Springs
Joint Clutch and Gear
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2018, 09:27 AM   #95
SHARPMACHINE
F-U-CANCER!!!
 
SHARPMACHINE's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-29-06
Location: MONTAGUE MI (BY THE SAND BOX)
Posts: 5,315
iTrader: (25)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr Jeremy View Post
I’ve been in the garage door industry for 20 years, and our company has been a liftmaster dealer for over 30 years.

Those operators are very temperamental and they’re prone to throwing cables. The doors have to be balanced 100% perfect, and they don’t seem do well with wide doors. I won’t even install a demo model that was given to me on my own door.

You can’t go wrong with the new liftmaster 8160 DC chain drives, they’re super quiet and smooth running, they have a strong single piece T-rail, and they’re cheaper than the 8500 side mounts. They come WiFi ready out of the box, you can control them on your phone from anywhere in the world.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
True story about the lift master. Put one up a year ago since I needed a torsion mount unit. It was very easy to install, but very finicky. I am also glad I got the extended warranty because I have already replaced the encoder on it. Hopefully I am now set, or at-least know enough about it to repair it as things come up....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
any recommendations for a VERY budget friendly non-fancy shmancy opener for a 10x10 door? Will only be used once a week or so.
Chamberlain from Menards or just open it by hand.....
__________________
Hay, look at me... I have a signature.....



RIP FULLSIZE4LIFE
SHARPMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2018, 09:52 AM   #96
greygoose
Gustafson
 
greygoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-08
Location: New Baltimore / Presque Isle
Posts: 8,636
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARPMACHINE View Post


Chamberlain from Menards or just open it by hand.....
greygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2018, 10:03 AM   #97
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 29,598
iTrader: (26)
Mentioned: 175 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
any recommendations for a VERY budget friendly non-fancy shmancy opener for a 10x10 door? Will only be used once a week or so.
You just made a shit ton of money off of some guy, go buy yourself a nice one.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2018, 10:10 AM   #98
jpr Jeremy
LS Powered
 
jpr Jeremy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-05-07
Location: coleman, mi
Posts: 824
iTrader: (15)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
any recommendations for a VERY budget friendly non-fancy shmancy opener for a 10x10 door? Will only be used once a week or so.


Just go to an actual garage door business and get a 10’ liftmaster at retail, not installed price if it’s something you plan on installing yourself. At a box store you’re gonna buy a 7’ opener for $x and then they’ll sell you an extension plus another chain for $x...at that point your paying more than the price of the 10’ from a door business.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jpr Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2018, 10:13 AM   #99
jpr Jeremy
LS Powered
 
jpr Jeremy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-05-07
Location: coleman, mi
Posts: 824
iTrader: (15)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
Back on the off topic topic, I've never had an issue with a multi piece rail. But the real question, (just to make Johnny happy ) is where can I get a great Black Friday deal on an opener.



Great news John! Get that thing done. tick tock tick tock


The multi pc rails are thin gauge square tube that slide together, plastic trolley, real thin plastic front pulley that wears out fast, and they are half chain/half thin cable that’s prone to breaking at the loops. The one pc rails have full length chain and a steel trolley assembly.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jpr Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2018, 10:39 AM   #100
Bones
skillicous
 
Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: South Lyon, MI
Posts: 12,847
iTrader: (39)
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Bones
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
You just made a shit ton of money off of some guy, go buy yourself a nice one.
we have different scales for money amounts....

I do want a nice one that will last forever, i don't need frilly fruity wifi bluetooth options like some other old timers. Do you even know how to use a smart phone?
__________________
Inviscid Motorsports

Special Thanks and Recommendations to;
Motorcity Machines
Ironman Offroad
Branik Motorsports
Maxxis Tires

Raceline Wheels
PAC Racing Springs
Joint Clutch and Gear
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DONE - Black Friday/Thanksgiving Deals on Rubicon 4.88/5.13 gears - DELETE green50gt Wanted 15 December 1st, 2013 10:33 AM
JcrOffroad Black Friday only deals are online! JcrOffroad Vendors 0 November 22nd, 2012 11:34 PM
JcrOffroad Back in Black 4... Black Friday deals all month! Monkeyevil Vendors 0 November 4th, 2011 02:57 PM
ULTIMATE AIR's Black Friday Sale - Friday Only! Brian81CJ Vendors 0 November 25th, 2009 08:43 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:20 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
 
Page generated in 0.59016 seconds with 85 queries