Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Mall rated sheep build aka "the other gray LJ"

208K views 2K replies 80 participants last post by  green50gt 
#1 · (Edited)
So I went and did something I never thought I'd do, I bought a Jeep.

Found a 04 LJ at daveys jeeps in Ohio. Of course it's a salvage title, but that doesn't bother me. Had front end damage. Grille, fenders, hood, radiator. Other then that it is pretty clean and interior is spotless. Higher miles at 200k, but runs out good.

I decided on a Jeep because I wanted the convertible type rig that was 4x4. And an eb in similar condition would be three times the cost. Not a lot of other options. I felt I was putting to many miles dd'ing my f350 so I would pick something up for spring/summer/fall.
Build process by Cheapthrillb2, on Flickr

Build process by Cheapthrillb2, on Flickr

See less See more
#343 · (Edited)
I run the 42s on the buggy..... More sidewall.

I had damaged two in all the wheeling I've done with the buggy.

1st one, I don't care what tire it could've been, the situation would of ruined any tire.

2nd, developed a pin hole from an unknown cause and only leaked when in the bulge position.

I've run mtrks in 35", 37", 42" flavors. Only the 42s had an issue. And a bunch of people I know have run 35s,38s, and 40s without issue.

I'm good with running mtrks, especially with how well they work across the board in all things.

I also typically run at 2-4 psi.

@9:20 I sandwiched a root bulb with jagged spikes between my sidewall and the embankment with wheel speed. And then to run out the corse like I did, and that tire be salvageable. I think it held up well.
https://youtu.be/DuNIwsmaUkg

And to have this tire survive.... I think that's pretty good.
https://youtu.be/jgnoshGiBh0

#351 · (Edited)
my generals grabbers would not work well for most people!
horrible in rain and snow! (im parked for the winter anyway)
made for sand and trails only.
looks like they would do "ok" in mud, but not had them in much yet??
they do handle high speed sandy trails really nice though!

i was gonna buy mtrs, but they were on back order.
probably should have got bfg km2s, but im just not a fan.
so i tried something totally different.

my 42" (non stickey) iroks were the best all around tire i have ever owned!
they did pretty good, no matter where i was.
i destroyed one el cheapo steel wagon wheel.
i ripped off one valve stem.
never hurt a sidewall.

#349 ·
I wasn't saying it was better then any other tire, just that I don't feel I've experienced what everyone tends to think.

Obviously I like them. I've bought so damn many of them now :sonicjay:.

I'd buy some bias treps if I could find them for what I buy the mtrs for lol.

#355 ·
I've been very happy with Iroks in the sand and snow. They seem about average in the rocks. Now Curly will tell you they are the best tire he has seen on his property. (at least that's what he told me a couple years ago) For the most part, most DOT tires seem to be about the same in the rocks when properly aired down on comparable rigs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.