Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

97 chevy cummins swap

120K views 211 replies 40 participants last post by  greygoose 
#1 ·
I am about half way thru a cummins swap on a 97 crew cab chevy. It was originally a 454 manual 4x4 truck. I am swapping in a 93 first gen cummins, reusing the chevy nv4500 and borg warner tcase. I switched the input shaft and retainer in the tranny and am running a 94-02 dodge clutch and bellhousing setup.

Cut the lip off the bottom of the frame right below the motor mounts and used counter sunk bolts on the top three differential case bolts.

Fits in pretty nice obviously cant use the dodge ac mount. So im using a freightliner mid mount ac bracket and compressor, and making some mounts to use the chevy alternator

I got a big intercooler from the yard and cut the tanks off and shortened the core hieght wise and fabed my own end tanks. Also had to open up the core support to fit the intercooler between the radiator and condenser. Decided to get a narrower radiator for easier intercooler plumbing and I didnt want to cut the main supports out of the core support.

Attachments

See less See more
#119 ·
Yes it is a blast to drive, it's no big power house but tows good and is fun to drive. Im still gonna go farther on the full fuel screw just haven't had time to mess with it. Yes it is my daily driver tow vehicle. It gets around 16 normal driving and 13 towing but I drive it hard all the time and the 4.10 gears with short tires kill mpg.

#121 ·
Well depending on your tire size gear ratio. You can defiantly get better mileage, my truck is way over geared. I tow my buggy with it, buggy weighs around 5k all loaded up, and not sure how much trailer weighs. The rotary pump first gen is no power house by any means but does okay with some mods.

#131 ·
well got it back together last night and had some time to wash it today. couple more little things i want to do to finish up the appearance, wanna do something with the taillights, front running lights, head lights and possibly some sort of front hub cover on the wheels. hauling my blazer to the dunes with it thursday so i might take it out on the dunes and get some pics there too.

lurking in the shadows :d:

#140 ·
its a custom turbo built out of hx 30 and hx40 parts with a spring gate. i cant remember what compressor wheel and turbine wheel is on it but if i remember right the exhaust housing is a 12cm. legendary diesel in kzoo built the turbo for me in trade for a tranny i had. it is not laggy with 12cm housing but i dont really think it has much topend power, by topend power i mean 2500-3200 but not sure that is from turbo or not enough fuel or what.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.