Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Been making some panels lately...

78K views 571 replies 77 participants last post by  aber61 
#1 ·
#116 ·
Agreed. It will allow me to pre stretch panels to get less warpage when beadrolling. Im really excited to try that.

Finally got to play with it some tonight after getting a rig out of the shop and making a 30" wide panel to finish tomorrow.

I realized I really want the shrinker/stretcher even more now. I think that's next on the to buy list.

#118 ·
Thanks!

I focked up the last panel above on Friday evening. Note to self, don't beadroll when you are in a grumpy/frustrated mood.

Made another, and got it this time. I bent the edges over with some angle iron and a vice. That sucked.

Box and pan brake is my next tool purchase.

#122 ·
Lately ive been trading services for goods quite a bit. And its actually been working out really well. A couple panels for the English wheel, some suspension work for a lockrite for the gfs front axle. And just last week I regeared a 14bff for a guy.

Well we got to talking, and I mentioned that I really need to build a nice work bench for doing all my work on. Im currently using my friends welding bench for all of it, which is a super nice bench, but its all slotted and made for fixturing etc. (parts and tools tend to fall down the slots all the time)

Well dude actually happens to work for/run a large fab shop that does custom farm implement work. Big one off type stuff, and very cool.

Just got a text from him this am. He said he is building me a 4'x6', 42" tall, 1/4" steel top, with 3"x3" tube frame, on 6" castors :woot::woot::woot::woot::woot:

Im pumped. Ill be able to mount my box and pan brake to one side, my English wheel at another end, mount both of my beadrollers on swivel corner mounts, and still end up with a 3'x5' work surface.

#124 ·
Waiting on a $900 payment at the moment, then im ordering my box and pan brake.

I drew up this bomber frame and had one cut out of 16g steel. All the rivet holes needed to be drilled out.

Ended up using them as templates to lay some out on aluminum panels for later.

Now I just need to get the brake here so I can bend the flanges....

#131 ·
Got to play with the new toy today. Once adjusted it works pretty well. This is 16ga steel and it did it fine IMO. A bit more of a radius than I had expected, but it looks nice.

There are a few things on the brake that I'm not very happy about, but for the price, you cant get too upset.

Spent another 4 hours or so on the frame (most of which was grinding out the holes so the dimple die would fit, the table must not have been cutting on the correct side of the line)

#138 ·
Got to play with the new toy today. Once adjusted it works pretty well. This is 16ga steel and it did it fine IMO. A bit more of a radius than I had expected, but it looks nice.
The Grizzly we had at my last job had an adjustment on the lower swinging portion that allowed you to adjust the bend radius for different bends and thicknesses. Yours looks a little more basic and doesn't have that, but is there a way you can adjust the location of that yellow L channel piece? Bringing that up a little will tighten your bend radius.

#143 ·
I finally got back in the shop, and it felt good. Its been a while.

This is a donation piece im making for a co workers father. They are doing a cancer fundraiser for him, and my work graciously cut a bunch of cool stuff to auction off. I took one of the pieces and added a back panel, which is going to get framed, and I hope go for an assload of $$$.

24"x24" back panel with 18" diameter circle piece cut out of 18ga steel that I painted with black rusto hammered paint, and attached to the back panel with copper and brass solid rivets.

#144 ·
Finished that this morning, then had a quick lunch date with my sweet thang....

Then i touched her just right and she made some pretty things for me. Although I had to go play with her green bendy friend afterwards because I wasn't quite finished, so you gotta keep it on the DL.... :naughty::naughty::naughty:

#145 ·
Finished that this morning, then had a quick lunch date with my sweet thang....

Then i touched her just right and she made some pretty things for me. Although I had to go play with her green bendy friend afterwards because I wasn't quite finished, so you gotta keep it on the DL.... :naughty::naughty::naughty:

I was a little confused until I realized you meant the equipment haha

Stuff looks nice!

#147 ·
Thanks!!

That last one paid for the $200 worth of aluminum sheet I picked up the week prior.

I had about 6 hours into it.

I actually decided to set my phone up yesterday, I guess it quit after 5 minutes though. Was hoping to do a FF of the whole thing, but oh well.

This was pass #1 on the words. I did 4 total passes on the words, and about a dozen on the border. After chatting with Jamey Jordan yesterday, he told me that very light pressure increases each pass lead to much less warpage in the final product.

It worked, but it also took way more time lol.

#156 ·
Supercharged Alcohol powered BBC sand drag truck got dropped off today.

He said when he lets the trans brake go, the amount of sand coming in the cab was relentless. Wants some paneling made up to to block off the sand from the cab, and then to block some off from the engine bay itself as the pulleys are getting all worn out from sand getting piled all over them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.