Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - 08 Sierra SAS "The Work Truck"
View Single Post
Old December 12th, 2019, 09:08 PM   #8
sterlingfire

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

I finally got more done...though it's not enough.

20191212_195322 by Sterlingfire 01, on Flickr

20191212_195334 by Sterlingfire 01, on Flickr

Got my buddies plasma working. Makes cutting the ifs shit off a breeze. Took about a half hour to cut it all off. Just a few more things to cut then gotta make some decisions.
Thinking real hard about my plans to make the reject run at R+V for the 24th of January. It's looking like a pipe dream at this point. I'm thinking I'll keep the other tuck together and put drop in cam from Summit racing in. Rebuild the trans I have sitting on the floor, and make both the reject run and the snow snake hill climb. This will satisfy the lacking of power for me, and make my lady happy because she really doesn't want to miss the race. It was a great time last year, and she wants to make a bit of a tradition of it. I have no qualms about that.
So back on to this truck, would you guys keep the stock frame, or put new rails from under the cab forward? I'm looking to lower the ride height and get more bump travel out of it. If I went new frame rails, what would you use? I think 2 1/2x4x3/16 tube is plenty. It will give me almost 3" more to play with. I would raise the engine 3" and move it forward 2 or 3".
The other option in my head is to section the bottom of the stock frame 2 or 3" and plate it. Still move the engine up and forward the same as described above. I would also plate the outside of the frame rails to get a nice flat surface to work off. I've never undertaken building a frame, so the putting new rails in is a bit daunting. I know I can do it, jsut don't want to get bogged down by a giant change like that.
sterlingfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.14031 seconds with 24 queries