Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Ground Hornets

2K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  wrath 
#1 · (Edited)
I’ve heard stories about the Aggressive little bastards.
I was merrily running the weed eater, and I feel my feet being stung. Felt like I kicked a cactus.
Look down and my foot is covered with the little fuckers.

#7 ·
Its canning season for me. I usually wait till nightfall, which is easily done when I'm doing large bushels of veggies, and discard boiling water down their holes. I figure if you can do it with molten aluminum, you can do it with boiling water and I haven't been wrong yet.

#13 ·
Neighbor recommended Sevin dust powder. I've bee using it last 10+ years on any bug i want dead. Usually wait until evening when they are tucked in for the night and then dust up any entrances I find. Seems to care of them. Usually one application and done.

I've seen it at most any hardware store.
This, but with Delta dust. It will keep on killing for months or until it is washed away. With a proper applicator it is also easy to get the dust behind stuff too, such as shutters power meters, etc.

If you had a ground hole, just top it off with dust and those suckers are dead for sure.

#10 ·
My dad always successfully used the boiling water method at night. I've only needed to take care of one ground nest at my place and went with several back-to-back applications of torch-fed gasoline. Seemed just as effective and way more fun.

#15 ·
Good to hear the idea about the seven dust.

For ground nests, I have had good luck by:

1. Pouring a quart or two of gas down the hole.
2. Cover with an old piece of plywood etc..
3. Let it be, the fumes will kill everything in the hole.

#18 ·
My initial attack using fire and hate “stirred up a hornets nest”.
I have garnished the nest with a bit of Borax (Boric Acid).
I had a long handled propane torch I use on weeds, but it must be packed away.
The swelling in my foot has gone down.

I hate yellow jacket, hornets, meat bees or whatever you call them.

#20 ·
they're harmless for us though, only the females have a stinger and unless you step on one. They leave you along.

anything else that has wasp in the name can fawk right off. Except Honey and bumble bees though; they help my apple trees grow fruit.

#22 ·
I went scorched earth, then the big propane torch to knock out their ATC (air traffic control). It knock them out of the air pretty good.
The garden is nothing but black, charred remains. And hornets. Mean, pissed off hornets.

When I go back, we will do the boiling water routine. Maybe add the borax.

#24 ·
I hate yellowjackets (ground bees) and bald-faced hornets. Both are actually wasps and they're the only things that are very aggressive. Most everything else will leave you alone unless you are actively screwing with their nest.

I have tried a lot of things.

Fire is fun, especially road flares or propane, until you catch old tree roots on fire and you have an underground fire.

Flooding works but takes patience.

Sevin works well but kills everything for a while.

Diatomaceous earth works well except it kills everything and rain makes it useless.

I have actually found that a home-made screen funnel works well. Place it over the hole and they can get out but they can never find their way back in then eventually die. Cover it with Sevin for added amusement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.