Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Anyone Have a Wood Pellet Grill?

13K views 83 replies 17 participants last post by  jeepfreak81 
#1 ·
I’m in the market for a new grill and figured I would askthe most opinionated group of people I know, gl4x4!!!

My grill has become a rusted out piece of crap and I need anew one. I have had a charcoal onlygrill for the last 15 years, I don’t want a gas grill. I have also had a wife that has complainedabout the length of time for grilling for the last 15 years…. Let me say that until I discovered woodpellet grills online I wasn’t even considering anything but charcoal.

Anyone have any experience with wood pellet grills? Seems to be the magic solution between quicklighting/heating of gas and the flavor of charcoal. The reviews seem to be mostly favorableacross brands, but looking for personal experience and quality of the variousbrands if possible.

#2 ·
I would think that wood pellet grilling would be like charcoal also. What kind of pellets could give off a kind of smoke or flavor.
My brother just got a smoker and he loves it. But if your wife complained about wait time with charcoal she will hate the 10 hour smoke time for a brisket.
Be sure to post pics of your first cook

#3 ·
I have a traeger, and love it. So easy to operate that my girlfriend uses it a lot. Chicken comes out perfect. Steaks are the best I had. Beef/venison jerkey is easy also. We have been getting a 40 lbs. bag of blended at Walmart for $16. Traeger bags are $18 for 20lbs.

#6 ·
I'd really like to get one, but I did some reading on some serious grilling sites, and many felt they weren't great for grilling. i.e. Steaks and such. They do fine, but wouldn't get hot enough to seer the meat to their liking. They otherwise seem to be well regarded, especially for long, slow cooking. I don't think the price is bad either. Anything under $300-$400 won't last anyway. I'd like to think the Traeger grills will last longer. I haven't looked at one up close in a while though.

I got drawn into looking at higher end models from other brands. Some have some very cool features, including sensors and apps.

I nursed my Brinkman Pro dual zone charcoal along for 2-3 more years hoping to find the perfect grill. Brinkman didn't have a good rep, but damn, that grill was built like a tank. Lasted 12 years, and I neglected it. Never cleaned out the ash pan, and never covered it.

In the end, I decided I need three grills. Charcoal, pellet, and an egg. Too much damn money.

I ended up punting, and snagged a $240 charcoal grill at Costco. It's roughly the same size as the old one, but one zone, and much more cheaply made. It's been great though. I doubt it will last, but I'll keep coating the inside with cooking oil, and that should keep the firebox together for a while (worked on the old one... it's the ash pan and frame that's finally rotted.)

#7 ·
I'd really like to get one, but I did some reading on some serious grilling sites, and many felt they weren't great for grilling. i.e. Steaks and such. They do fine, but wouldn't get hot enough to seer the meat to their liking. They otherwise seem to be well regarded, especially for long, slow cooking. I don't think the price is bad either. Anything under $300-$400 won't last anyway. I'd like to think the Traeger grills will last longer. I haven't looked at one up close in a while though.

I got drawn into looking at higher end models from other brands. Some have some very cool features, including sensors and apps.

I nursed my Brinkman Pro dual zone charcoal along for 2-3 more years hoping to find the perfect grill. Brinkman didn't have a good rep, but damn, that grill was built like a tank. Lasted 12 years, and I neglected it. Never cleaned out the ash pan, and never covered it.

In the end, I decided I need three grills. Charcoal, pellet, and an egg. Too much damn money.

I ended up punting, and snagged a $240 charcoal grill at Costco. It's roughly the same size as the old one, but one zone, and much more cheaply made. It's been great though. I doubt it will last, but I'll keep coating the inside with cooking oil, and that should keep the firebox together for a while (worked on the old one... it's the ash pan and frame that's finally rotted.)

This is where I'm at lol.

I need to find a Traeger locally to look at the build quality, but I'd only be looking at their entry level, so not sure I can swing that brand as by budget is going to be under $600, but hopefully under $500.

I eyed a Pit Boss in person at Walmart, and have to say I was happy with the quality for $399.

I would probably guess that 90% or better of my grilling is poultry cooked low and slow today. I for whatever reason don't cook too much beef, so I'm not sure I'm worried about the max temps as the pit boss claims to be able to get up to 500deg when it's above 70deg out.

#8 · (Edited)
I have had my Green Mountain Grills JIM Bowie for 2 weeks. I chose this one as it is much heavier than the Traeger of similar size. Price is similar. I have grilled and smoked on it. Is has adjustable heat grates that allow the heat to either go straight up for searing. It has been a great grill. Smoking is different than my stick burner but the taste is great so far. Ribs turned out awesome! The temp control is set in 5 degree increments. Holds temp even in wind to the tee. Set it and walk away. You even have time to wrench on the Jeep since you don’t have to tend fire. Still getting used to it but so far I’m impressed and happy.

I have had a Weber kettle for 15 years and a Brinkman offset for 3 years. Running the hot box has never been as easy as the GMG pellet grill.

#10 ·
Traeger here. I like it except it has only has wheels on one end. I keep it in the garage between uses and it’s a bit cumbersome to move around. No problem cooking things, but it is more difficult to get the sear. In the winter it was hard to keep up to temp. I would use the next highest setting to keep it where I wanted it. My favorite food in it is Cornish hens. We use it 3-4 times a week. It makes great bacon too! I am planning on building a shed to keep it in year round. I think that will help with the heat loss during the winter. I bought mine at Home Depot last August. I think I have used my gas grill 3 times since.

#13 ·
Dammit, now I'm hungry.
Ribs for breakfast! Glad I could help.

I have a coworker that has a Pit Boss. He likes it but does say it is touchy on the temp levels. Different pellets and outside temps you have to mess with a federate and the temp setting. My GMG does not have a federate setting. Just temp. It sounds like another step to worry about but also seems easy. It also has 10 degree increments instead of 5. Other than that he likes it.

#15 · (Edited)
I have a Green Mountain Grill with the WiFI and it is fucking awesome. I have no problem with the way it grills, but that said I usually fire up the propane grill for Hot Dogs, or searing the burgers/steaks. It will sear, but for quickie food they are expensive to run IMO.

I use mine mostly to do large pork cuts like pork shoulders. I put them on, and come back to spritz once in awhile while monitoring the temps remotely. Once you get the temps calibrated, it's basically a computer controlled wood fired oven.

The pellets you use make the biggest difference, quality pellets. Lumberjack are the best, but I can't find them locally. Cabelas brand are re-packaged Lumberjack though, and I'll drive to Saginaw for them.

My coworker had a Traeger, and swapped for the GMG and then talked me into it.

#18 ·
The GMG customer service is second to none. There are a few dislikes on the grill. But overall it is great. I've read the cheaper grills don't hold temp well etc. Research them online as well.

I like the Wifi because I can calibrate the food probe temp, I can adjust the grill to be more or less aggressive holding temps for use in winter or summer, and I can upgrade the software in the controller as GMG changes their algorithms. The extra money was well worth it to me, and I only ended up buying one grill.

#21 ·
Thank for the mention!

I was looking at those a while ago, but forgot about GM. I was looking at the Daniel Boone, for size and price wise. I would be keeping my propane grill for sure too, like you said, for hot dogs or burgers or something quicker.

#26 ·
Dragging this back up. Got the funding for the grill and decided on the GMG Daniel Boone! I contemplated cheaper options, but just want to avoid buyers remorse and have a great grill for years to come.

I've got one question, is the WiFi option worth an extra $100? I really think I'm going to skip this feature, but want feedback in case anyone had some good practical uses for it.

https://greenmountaingrills.com/products/grills/daniel-boone-prime-nonwifi/

#29 ·
My JIM Bowie does not have the WiFi. I can see that it could be handy but it runs well on its own after it is up to temp. I find myself checking the meat more that the heat. I have left it for 2-3 hours in between without issue. Hell of a lot better than my old offset wood fired smoker. I’m happy without the WiFi.

Whatever you decide the GMG is a great grill. You won’t be disappointed. Congrats

#30 ·
My JIM Bowie does not have the WiFi. I can see that it could be handy but it runs well on its own after it is up to temp. I find myself checking the meat more that the heat. I have left it for 2-3 hours in between without issue. Hell of a lot better than my old offset wood fired smoker. I’m happy without the WiFi.

Whatever you decide the GMG is a great grill. You won’t be disappointed. Congrats
This is where I think my head is at... at the moment

Wifi is the only way the firmware can be updated.

That said I use my WIFI alllll the time. I can't stand literally babysitting the smoker on a 16 hour smoke though.

I haven't really been into "smoking" much in the past, mostly due to the fact I, like you, didn't have time to baby sit a smoker. Also only really had a charcoal grill so most of the stuff I did was under two hours or so total.

The new Prime grills amongst other updates have a USB port, I wonder if software could be updated that way somehow?

The most disappointing thing about the GMG is that they can't really be purchased online and the nearest retailer is an hour away, I guess I better call to be sure they have it in stock before heading out.

#31 ·
Next topic: Wood Pellets

From what I've gathered the Lumberjack brand is the best, any arguments?

I'm going to order a few samples of pellets, how long does 20lbs of these pellets last?

I think I'm going to order 100% Mesquite, Char-Hickory (80% Hickory, 20% Charcoal), and Competition Blend (Maple-Hickory-Cherry)

#35 ·
I currently don't have one, but I'm going in 2 weeks to pick one up from Grilla Grills. Based out of Holland MI. Seem to be a great company, people seem to love their products, and the support that I have received without even owning one of their products yet sold me on them. Check them out.

grillagrills.com

#43 ·
@SolLess

Did you get a Grilla Grill? I am in the market for a new smoker and I think i am going the pellet route. I am currently looking at the original Grilla (Grilla pro) and wondered if you every purchased one.

#37 ·
I have one of the larger Round Weber Charcoal grills for grilling needs.
I'd always been propane or Nat gas before, just got this last year and am a convert now.

I also got a good deal 1.5 or so years ago on a Propane smoker. Love it! Not as must tending as charcoal, i can dial the temp in, tend to the wood chips when needed, as needed etc and come out with a great tasting meal. I'm sure it's not for everyone, but it's a great combination for me.