Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

LS Powered Jeep Willys Pickup

58K views 233 replies 36 participants last post by  Ryanw10 
#1 ·
Finally getting back at this project so hopefully by starting a build thread it will keep me motivated to get it finished.

I bought this truck when I was a freshman in college for $150 plus some random engine accessories I had left over from the LS swap in my Wrangler.

It may not look like it but the truck was in extremely good shape, as in no rust holes and pitting other than the floor boards. We stripped it down and gave the chassis a good coat of paint. It had a 4.2L ghetto fabbed to the originally transmission and t case that we got running and actually drove the truck around for a little while.

I started all the body work and that where I started to get burnt out on the project. The hood, fenders, and grill were all sandblasted and primed, and the cab was sanded/sandblasted and the dents filled with bondo. I ditched the flat bed in favor of a stepside bed from an 80s chevy, and then this is how it sat for pretty much the last 3 years.

Just a couple days ago I picked up an 05 5.3L with 156k for $150, the guy said the lifters wore into the cam. So I will rebuild this motor for the truck very similar to my wrangler motor with a cam, pistons, and some big fuel injectors

I already have a 4l60e with a beast sunshell, corvette servos, etc.. just needs new clutches and steels so as soon as the motor is done I will do a quick rebuild on this with new seals, bearings, clutches, steels and so on.

I also already have a ford 9" that I plan to put into the truck and keep it on leafs. For the front axle im thinking a passenger drop 44 as I already have a gm np231 I can use. If I can find a cheap way to mate a driver drop T case to the 4l60e I will steal the built hp44 from my wrangler and use it in the truck. Either way the front will get linked with coil overs.

The end goal for this thing is going to be a street friendly truck on nothing bigger than 35s that can be a good dune cruiser my dad can use and then follow us at the offroad parks if he chooses too.

See less See more
#4 ·
I got the motor completely torn down today, found remnants of a lifter bearing in the oil pan and the cam is definitely shot. Other than that it is in really good shape. The bearings all looked good still (getting replaced anyway) and the cylinder walls all still show good cross hatching, pistons are all fine as well.

Next step is to bring the block and the crank to the shop for new cam bearings, a good cleaning and to polish the crank. While thats all happening I need to yank the old drivetrain out, and rebuild a 4l60e.

I still need a harness and a computer too. My local junkyard has half off next weekend so im hoping to get a harness, computer, and a drive by cable throttle body

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

#26 ·
I dropped the block off to the machine shop today and picked up that axle. Dana 44 with a new spool, fresh 4.10 gears, new lockouts, ball joints, and u joints. So this means I will be running a GM transfercase and the ford 9" I have in the shed

#28 ·
Motors back from the machine shop, couldn't help but to see what it looks like between the frame rails. Motor mounts will be a little tricky as the frame rails are a lot farther apart then my wrangler but I will be able to figure something out.

#29 ·
I have been waiting 2 weeks for pistons to show up so progress has been slow. Doesn't help that I ordered press fit pistons and then found out I have floating wrist pins. But as soon as the right ones show up I have pretty much everything I need to get the motor back together.

While waiting for motor parts I got the new to me Dana 44 under the truck and started playing around with the idea of a 4 link. My only concern right now is clearing the crank pulley without having to shove the axle so far forward

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#30 ·
Finally some motor progress. For my first shortblock assembly I think it went really smoothly, I bought the LS builders guide book and it was really helpful. The last LS I built the machine shop did the short block and I used a chiltons manual for the rest, the LS guide proved to be worth the money and much more helpful.

By the end of the week I will have a cam kit ordered, leaning towards a gm performance kit with lifters, gaskets and the whole works.

#31 ·
GM performance cam, and new lifters are installed. Somehow forgot to order a new timing chain so I had to stop there. Heads are almost rebuilt with new springs and seals so I am getting close. For anyone rebuilding an LS motor I highly recommend "how to rebuild gm LS series engines" by Chris Werner. Lots of little tips and tricks I didn't pick up from the chiltons manual last time

#34 ·
Race season is over, and boating season is basically over so it's time to get back on this project!

Heads cleaned (thanks @frdboy !)
New valve seals
New springs with new keepers installed

Motor will be put between the frame rails this weekend!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#36 ·
First test fit went good! It's sitting a little low yet so I'm going to trim up the trans tunnel to try and get it higher and then it will be time to make some mounts. Going to need a different style thermostat as well for the lower hose to clear the radiator.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk