Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Go-Fast Inspired Colorado build

46K views 274 replies 67 participants last post by  Mr. Beefy 
#1 ·
Finally, not a Jeep build. Time to spice it up with something different.

For a new project I had nothing specific in mind, just a few key things I was looking for:

-Pick up truck
-Full Frame
-Crew Cab or Single Cab (no extended cab)
-Reliable Drive Train
-Good shape/ no rust.
-4 wheel drive

I found a 2004 Chevy Colorado. Single cab, old man cap, high miles, and 2wd. But the price was at the bottom of the budget, and I thought, well that's different. So I went to look at it, and after a test drive I made an offer and drove it home. After some research I find out it has the ZQ8 suspension, which is like the factory lowered edition. Kind of backwards from what I want, but oh well I'll be cutting all that off anyways.

Unfortunately all my pictures were lost when I got a new phone, but here is one I found that is similar.

Picture an old man cap on the back and Boom, you have what I started with.

Original Plan: Pretty basic, 1/2 tons, 35's, etc.

I had the Dana 44 and 9" from my old cherokee, already geared and locked with chromo shafts. Also had a brand new set of 35" KM2's from the jeep. So I started ordering tubing and Heims from RuffStuff. Planning to run a 3 link front with air shocks and SOA in the rear.

JohnnyJ's buddy had a good deal on 2.5x14 Air shocks, so I picked those up.

Order from RuffStuff had come in by now, and I had stripped the whole front end of brackets and was ready to begin. Until I changed my mind....I woke up one morning and decided to make my different project even more unique...

IFS.

Now is where I call it a "Bebe inspired Colorado". If you don't know Bebe's build on Pirate, it's a good read.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/hummer/915987-h3-long-travel-build.html

I mean why not? Stock Chevy Diff and shafts, build some control arms? How hard could it be?

So I sold off the air shocks and 35s started to search for more parts. And, I found this.....

1999 GMC Sierra 2500. Only driven on the weekends by an old lady, never in an accident, complete with Front axles, rear axle, 6.0l, 4l80e, NP261.

Perfect.

9.25 front axle and SF 14 bolt rear. Let the build begin------

Planned Rubber, 37" MTR-Ks

More Sub frame work

On to the lower control arms. Made with 1.75x.25 DOM and a 1.25" Heim on the knuckle. On the frame side I turned out some bushings made from Nylatron, after it was recommended from a racing buddy.

Since I was using a hard bushing, it was imperative that they both stayed on the same plane. So I used a 5/8" solid bar to keep them straight during welding.

Little TIG action

Upper Control Arms. 1.5x.25 DOM tube with 7/8's heims.

Starting to get everything mounted.

It's gonna be wide!

Next up Steering.

See less See more
#247 ·
how much clearance is there between the front crossmember and the ground at full bump? Was the failure due to the front crossmember grounding out, or forces on the diff?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.