Trails In West Michigan Area - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Trail Rides & 4x4 Events
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old July 5th, 2008, 10:22 PM   #1
bigblockford79
Big Block Ranger
 
bigblockford79's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-11-08
Location: Hamilton, MI
Posts: 2,761
iTrader: (24)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default Trails In West Michigan Area

I am not new to W. MI but I have never been able to find any decent offroad trails in the area that me and my friends can head to. We usually just go to Silver and play in the sand, which is a good time but is actually getting boring. Not quite the same once you build a vehicle that can make it up with out much of a struggle. So, any help would be great. Thanks.

Also, I have heard a little about a trail in Holton that is pretty cool, but even growing up a little ways away in Fremont, i have no clue where it is or anything about it.


Thanks again

Brandon

PS> not really looking for mud boggs as my trucks are not built for deep mud
bigblockford79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old July 5th, 2008, 10:50 PM   #2
tom tom
Senior Member
 
tom tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-05-07
Location: Monroe MI
Posts: 1,708
iTrader: (28)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

check out the michigan dnr website .they have trail maps that you can print out
tom tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 12:12 AM   #3
bigblockford79
Big Block Ranger
 
bigblockford79's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-11-08
Location: Hamilton, MI
Posts: 2,761
iTrader: (24)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom tom View Post
check out the michigan dnr website .they have trail maps that you can print out
The DNR site was no help whatsoever. The trails on the site are bike/atv/snow trails and are of no help to me at all.

Thanks
bigblockford79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 12:21 AM   #4
OldSailor
AKA GreyShrink
 
OldSailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-29-06
Location: Livonia, MI
Posts: 521
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Look to the national forest trails.
OldSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 07:03 AM   #5
revho
$9.00 vanilla malt
 
revho's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: beaverdam, mi
Posts: 2,488
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

do a search on this site. this has been gone over 123870243196 times for w. mi trails.
revho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 07:20 AM   #6
wdkdusters
Senior Member
 
wdkdusters's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-26-07
Location: copemish, mi
Posts: 702
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

try twisted trails off road park http://dustersoffroadclub.com or http://twistedtrailsoffroadpark.com
wdkdusters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 08:10 AM   #7
Rubiclone
West side trail junkie !!
 
Rubiclone's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-21-08
Location: Spring Lake, Michigan
Posts: 215
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Unfortunately you will not find much of anything in southwest MI as far as public trails go. There is very little state or federal owned land and being mostly private you would need to find the land owner to obtain permission. If you head up toward the Baldwin area you will find plenty of marked forest service roads and state owned DNR trails. There are three ORV routes north of town, Lincoln Hills trail, Little Manistee trail, and the Tin Cup trail. These ORV routes dont provide much of a challenge but make very nice trail rides. The forest service roads (four digit brown markers) around the entire area tend to provide a little more of a challenge. Either way you decide to go please make sure to stay on the legally marked trails (no power lines either). We are loosing more and more trails every year due to illegal wheeling and pretty soon there will be no where left for the 4x4 community to enjoy.

Last edited by Rubiclone; July 6th, 2008 at 08:14 AM.
Rubiclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 08:59 PM   #8
Foamer
Senior Member
 
Foamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-29-08
Location: Grand Haven, MI
Posts: 664
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubiclone View Post
Unfortunately you will not find much of anything in southwest MI as far as public trails go. There is very little state or federal owned land and being mostly private you would need to find the land owner to obtain permission. If you head up toward the Baldwin area you will find plenty of marked forest service roads and state owned DNR trails. There are three ORV routes north of town, Lincoln Hills trail, Little Manistee trail, and the Tin Cup trail. These ORV routes dont provide much of a challenge but make very nice trail rides. The forest service roads (four digit brown markers) around the entire area tend to provide a little more of a challenge. Either way you decide to go please make sure to stay on the legally marked trails (no power lines either). We are loosing more and more trails every year due to illegal wheeling and pretty soon there will be no where left for the 4x4 community to enjoy.

I found some neat ones in the area during the past week or so. We should all meet up and do a small trail ride once I fix my transmission (it has gotten MUCH worse, though I am pretty sure it is the lockup solenoid for the torque converter that is the problem.
Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 09:04 PM   #9
Foamer
Senior Member
 
Foamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-29-08
Location: Grand Haven, MI
Posts: 664
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

And like Rubiclone says, PLEASE keep it 100% legal. Do your research before going out. If you have any question about a trails legality, please contact Trail_Fanatic, or you can even contact me since I have a friend who is a conservation officer that is familiar with the area.

Dont be erosive, and drive in a respectable mannor. I hate to sound like someones mom, but we are quickly losing roads to travel down, and next year will be the BIG blow to us when the new MVUM comes out.
Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 09:52 PM   #10
Fullsize4life
Kicking Cancers ASS
 
Fullsize4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-25-06
Location: Hart, Mi (next to silver lake)
Posts: 18,754
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Get a group together. Pm me and we will set up a date.

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=94669
Fullsize4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 09:03 PM   #11
upchuck
Senior Member
 
upchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-16-07
Location: grand rapids, Michigan
Posts: 1,101
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Took the trails around Condon Lake, and Rubiclone I passed you coming out of Bitely. Getting boring there too, took the north passage in after dark, solo
. Yeah, stupid but made it. Heading over Harrison way next.?
upchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 09:15 PM   #12
bigblockford79
Big Block Ranger
 
bigblockford79's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-11-08
Location: Hamilton, MI
Posts: 2,761
iTrader: (24)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullsize4life View Post
Get a group together. Pm me and we will set up a date.

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=94669
Thanks

It will prolly be next spring before i would be able to run through anything like what you have set-up. I still have to do some test and tune on my new rig. It looks like i should also get a locker for the front pig as well.

Thanks again for the offer and I hope to make it up there soon.
bigblockford79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 12:31 PM   #13
AMDemon
NO PAVED ROADS
 
AMDemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-05-06
Location: GRAND RAPIDS
Posts: 102
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

i live in grand rapids and i can tell you the only thing around here is the manistee national forest (stay off the power lines), and near cadillac mesick area. and thats about it really.
AMDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 01:03 PM   #14
feva4u
LCG
 
feva4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-01-07
Location: Petoskey, MI
Posts: 10,498
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

If you've built it so that silver is not a challenge, seasonal roads are not the answer. Unfortunately you'll have to look to ORV parks or join clubs to find out about private trail rides/property/ ect.
feva4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 04:55 PM   #15
liv2mx
i like jungle gym's.
 
liv2mx's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-10-05
Location: silver lake and up in the air building america
Posts: 11,266
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamer View Post
And like Rubiclone says, PLEASE keep it 100% legal. Do your research before going out. If you have any question about a trails legality, please contact Trail_Fanatic, or you can even contact me since I have a friend who is a conservation officer that is familiar with the area.

Dont be erosive, and drive in a respectable mannor. I hate to sound like someones mom, but we are quickly losing roads to travel down, and next year will be the BIG blow to us when the new MVUM comes out.
no comment!
liv2mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 02:15 AM   #16
bigblockford79
Big Block Ranger
 
bigblockford79's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-11-08
Location: Hamilton, MI
Posts: 2,761
iTrader: (24)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by feva4u View Post
If you've built it so that silver is not a challenge, seasonal roads are not the answer. Unfortunately you'll have to look to ORV parks or join clubs to find out about private trail rides/property/ ect.
Silver lake isn't much of a challenge anyway my wifes stock explorer can make it up every hill in the line without hardly any trouble.

I am just ready for a change of pace.

Silver might be more fun if I went with a group that would actually RUN their rigs. The guys I go with right now spend most of the time WATCHING others have fun and letting their truck "COOL" when its not even hot. But maybe that will change next year through this site:)
bigblockford79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 07:26 AM   #17
Paul_Aris
Senior Member
 
Paul_Aris's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-25-07
Location: Spring Lake, Michigan
Posts: 202
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Anyone going up for Troutarama in Baldwin. If so maybe we should do a saturday trail ride. I always go to the Beer tent in the evening but should be available during the day. My jeep sits at stock height with 31's so I can't get into anything to crazy. Let me know if anyone is going to be up and is interested. Rubiclone you coming up?
Paul_Aris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 08:12 PM   #18
Rubiclone
West side trail junkie !!
 
Rubiclone's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-21-08
Location: Spring Lake, Michigan
Posts: 215
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

When is trout-o-rama? I am busy with brothers batch party and wedding the next two weekends. I will definately be ready for a long weekend of trails (Baldwin or maybe even Harrison) or Silver lake the last weekend of the month 26th/27th I believe. Foamer / Upchuck, will you be ready for something around that time????

Last edited by Rubiclone; July 9th, 2008 at 08:15 PM.
Rubiclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 08:59 PM   #19
Foamer
Senior Member
 
Foamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-29-08
Location: Grand Haven, MI
Posts: 664
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubiclone View Post
When is trout-o-rama? I am busy with brothers batch party and wedding the next two weekends. I will definately be ready for a long weekend of trails (Baldwin or maybe even Harrison) or Silver lake the last weekend of the month 26th/27th I believe. Foamer / Upchuck, will you be ready for something around that time????

Definitely. Keep me updated. Gotta do some work on the trans, but it should be fixed by then. My TC keeps locking up at like 20mph.
Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 09:01 PM   #20
Paul_Aris
Senior Member
 
Paul_Aris's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-25-07
Location: Spring Lake, Michigan
Posts: 202
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubiclone View Post
When is trout-o-rama? I am busy with brothers batch party and wedding the next two weekends. I will definately be ready for a long weekend of trails (Baldwin or maybe even Harrison) or Silver lake the last weekend of the month 26th/27th I believe. Foamer / Upchuck, will you be ready for something around that time????
Troutarama is 25th through the 27th.
Paul_Aris is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Trail Rides & 4x4 Events

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:31 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.37373 seconds with 80 queries