Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

c6 or c4 swap

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  mudbillyredneck 
#1 ·
i currently have a AOD trans in a Ranger and i dont like the trans, i need something stronger. I realized i dont even use the OD gear. This is a 4x4 truck. Would swapping in a c4 or a c6 make me have to change driveshaft lengths? Do c4 or c6's use a TV kickdown like the AOD does?

#2 ·
I went from a c6 to an aod in my ranger and the two were very similar in length. The AOD case is about 3/16" longer than the C6 Case. From there it all depends on the extension housing lenghts and the t-case you are using. But on mine all I had to change was the transmission crossmember and that was it.

The c6 uses engine vacuum and a modulator to sense engine load and control the shift points. There also had a mechanical kick down lever that would force it into the next lower gear when the throttle went full open.

#9 ·
Yes, there are manual valve bodies available for the c6 in either forward or reverse patterns. I got mine for my big block c6 from www.broaderperformance.com out of southern Texas. Fair prices and very helpful.

#8 ·
I'd sacrifice some HP for all of the added strength the C6 has.. C6s can handle some serious HP when built properly..Same can be said for the C4 but availability, adaptability and cost is always my #1 concern

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.