How much is to much truck? - Page 4 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Tow rigs and trailers
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old July 9th, 2008, 10:51 PM   #61
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mclovin View Post
my 03 1500 Ram with the 5.7 tows PERFECT.. so far biggest load.. s10 3 quads and 5 people.. didnt break a sweat felt perfect at 75 and brakes were up to par !
bullcrap. that thing has big disk brakes, those don't work as good as the drum brakes on older 3/4 tons. they only feel better.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old July 9th, 2008, 10:54 PM   #62
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 31,951
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
bullcrap. that thing has big disk brakes, those don't work as good as the drum brakes on older 3/4 tons. they only feel better.
And the motor has no power compared to a 3/4 ton truck of the 90/80's

Early 90's cummins 160 hp 350-400 ft pounds
Early 90's 454 230 hp 385 ft lbs

2007 5.3 liter 315, 338

Bigger brakes, stiffer frame, better ride, yeah, I think you are right, a new half ton can't even come close to doing the work of an earlier 3/4, gets worse mileage, and isnt rated to tow what the average person tows.

Last edited by kickstand; July 9th, 2008 at 10:58 PM.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 11:13 PM   #63
KartRacer
Blowd up
 
KartRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-05
Location: Riverside, MI 49084
Posts: 6,335
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to KartRacer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UP_ROKTOY View Post
And the motor has no power compared to a 3/4 ton truck of the 90/80's

Early 90's cummins 160 hp 350-400 ft pounds
Early 90's 454 230 hp 385 ft lbs

2007 5.3 liter 315, 338

Bigger brakes, stiffer frame, better ride, yeah, I think you are right, a new half ton can't even come close to doing the work of an earlier 3/4, gets worse mileage, and isnt rated to tow what the average person tows.
Not to argue, but what RPM's are those power numbers made at?
KartRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 11:15 PM   #64
Mclovin
"The Situation"
 
Mclovin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Westland, Mi
Posts: 14,397
iTrader: (15)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Mclovin Send a message via Yahoo to Mclovin
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
bullcrap. that thing has big disk brakes, those don't work as good as the drum brakes on older 3/4 tons. they only feel better.
ok... well i know what i drove and i know how it handled... it worked ! and it worked well !
Mclovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 11:22 PM   #65
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

you guys need new sarcasm-o-meters.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 11:26 PM   #66
Nuzzy
likes him some Red Dog
 
Nuzzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-27-07
Location: Allegan, MI
Posts: 2,268
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skooter_Built View Post
I answered my own question, I got the truck of my dreams, i love the 7.3 Diesel:) 100% stock now, wont be at the end of the month

Well fawkin A Now where's the damn pics???


Nuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 11:30 PM   #67
Mclovin
"The Situation"
 
Mclovin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Westland, Mi
Posts: 14,397
iTrader: (15)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Mclovin Send a message via Yahoo to Mclovin
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuzzy View Post
Well fawkin A Now where's the damn pics???


on this site
Mclovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 11:42 PM   #68
Nuzzy
likes him some Red Dog
 
Nuzzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-27-07
Location: Allegan, MI
Posts: 2,268
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

In the essence of continuing the cheerios pissing match...


Naw seriously though, yes half tons are different trucks now than way back when. When I think of what makes a good tow rig, two of the most important factors are strong tranny and wheelbase.

You can have all the power in the world, but if the tranny ain't up to par, you'll smoke it in a short amount of time. And you can have all the power and a bullet proof trans, but if you've mounted it in a Wrangler's wheelbase the trailer is gonna drive YOU.

As a general rule, 3/4 and 1 ton trucks have usually been built with stronger trans and built at a good wheelbase over the years. Of course 1/2 tons can fit into those same demensions. But that's where my generalization comes from.

I've towed with 93" and 107" wheelbases and been pushed all over the road. Towed with a reg cab short bed Dawdge and although better, still wasn't anywhere near either of my ext cab long bed duallies. I'll take trans and length anyday in any configuration over short and weak.

Now back to the show
Nuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 11:43 PM   #69
Nuzzy
likes him some Red Dog
 
Nuzzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-27-07
Location: Allegan, MI
Posts: 2,268
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mclovin View Post
on this site

shit.






I'll go searching...
Nuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 12:10 AM   #70
Skooter_Built
Fuck talk, Duck walk!
 
Skooter_Built's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Whitelake, MI
Posts: 14,595
iTrader: (26)
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuzzy View Post
shit.

I'll go searching...
heres a pic. 02 F-250 Crew Cab Lariate, 4x4, 7.3 w/auto trans, fully loaded, 63k original miles. Currently getting north of 17mpg. 100% stock, except for airbags in the rear. An old man owned it to tow his 5th wheel around and babyed it. Im gonna free the intake & exhaust and put on an Edge juice with Attitude monitor. Other than that do a few interior/exterior mods and leave it as is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img356.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	27936  
__________________
I'm the man in White.

If you want peace, prepare for war!

Forgiveness is between them and God. It's my job to arrange the meeting.
Skooter_Built is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 12:21 AM   #71
Nuzzy
likes him some Red Dog
 
Nuzzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-27-07
Location: Allegan, MI
Posts: 2,268
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skooter_Built View Post
heres a pic. 02 F-250 Crew Cab Lariate, 4x4, 7.3 w/auto trans, fully loaded, 63k original miles. Currently getting north of 17mpg. 100% stock, except for airbags in the rear. An old man owned it to tow his 5th wheel around and babyed it. Im gonna free the intake & exhaust and put on an Edge juice with Attitude monitor. Other than that do a few interior/exterior mods and leave it as is.

Badass. Good looking truck
Nuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 06:46 AM   #72
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 22,291
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuzzy View Post
In the essence of continuing the cheerios pissing match...


Naw seriously though, yes half tons are different trucks now than way back when. When I think of what makes a good tow rig, two of the most important factors are strong tranny and wheelbase.

You can have all the power in the world, but if the tranny ain't up to par, you'll smoke it in a short amount of time. And you can have all the power and a bullet proof trans, but if you've mounted it in a Wrangler's wheelbase the trailer is gonna drive YOU.

As a general rule, 3/4 and 1 ton trucks have usually been built with stronger trans and built at a good wheelbase over the years. Of course 1/2 tons can fit into those same demensions. But that's where my generalization comes from.

I've towed with 93" and 107" wheelbases and been pushed all over the road. Towed with a reg cab short bed Dawdge and although better, still wasn't anywhere near either of my ext cab long bed duallies. I'll take trans and length anyday in any configuration over short and weak.

Now back to the show
Now this is a good reply.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2008, 11:42 PM   #73
Mclovin
"The Situation"
 
Mclovin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Westland, Mi
Posts: 14,397
iTrader: (15)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Mclovin Send a message via Yahoo to Mclovin
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuzzy View Post
In the essence of continuing the cheerios pissing match...


Naw seriously though, yes half tons are different trucks now than way back when. When I think of what makes a good tow rig, two of the most important factors are strong tranny and wheelbase.

You can have all the power in the world, but if the tranny ain't up to par, you'll smoke it in a short amount of time. And you can have all the power and a bullet proof trans, but if you've mounted it in a Wrangler's wheelbase the trailer is gonna drive YOU.

As a general rule, 3/4 and 1 ton trucks have usually been built with stronger trans and built at a good wheelbase over the years. Of course 1/2 tons can fit into those same demensions. But that's where my generalization comes from.

I've towed with 93" and 107" wheelbases and been pushed all over the road. Towed with a reg cab short bed Dawdge and although better, still wasn't anywhere near either of my ext cab long bed duallies. I'll take trans and length anyday in any configuration over short and weak.

Now back to the show
you forgot axles.. at least the rear one... i dont think a 10 bolt i gona like dragging 10k lbs..
Mclovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2008, 01:12 AM   #74
Quagmire
I can has layinframe
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: 48346
Posts: 5,039
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Quagmire
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mclovin View Post
you forgot axles.. at least the rear one... i dont think a 10 bolt i gona like dragging 10k lbs..
whats gonna have a 10 bolt thats less than 20 years old? an S10?
I don't know dick about ferds but I know dodges has a 9.25 and 88 and up chebbys had a semifloat 14??
well I think
but I alsso know not to over tow and towing with a swb sucks the ass
__________________
Google first.....ask questions later
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkstoncracker View Post
Actually, the new rule of thumb is you should make your tires bulge slightly more then skooterbuilt when he's wearing his tight ladies pants
Quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2008, 01:16 AM   #75
XXXJ
Desert Rat
 
XXXJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-09-07
Location: Memphis, Mi
Posts: 5,662
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
whats gonna have a 10 bolt thats less than 20 years old? an S10?
I don't know dick about ferds but I know dodges has a 9.25 and 88 and up chebbys had a semifloat 14??
I thought all 3/4 ton had full-floating axles?
XXXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2008, 01:28 AM   #76
Quagmire
I can has layinframe
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: 48346
Posts: 5,039
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Quagmire
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXJ View Post
I thought all 3/4 ton had full-floating axles?
I believe we were talking about 1/2 tons
atleast I was
__________________
Google first.....ask questions later
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkstoncracker View Post
Actually, the new rule of thumb is you should make your tires bulge slightly more then skooterbuilt when he's wearing his tight ladies pants
Quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2008, 01:56 AM   #77
Mclovin
"The Situation"
 
Mclovin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Westland, Mi
Posts: 14,397
iTrader: (15)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Mclovin Send a message via Yahoo to Mclovin
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
whats gonna have a 10 bolt thats less than 20 years old? an S10?
I don't know dick about ferds but I know dodges has a 9.25 and 88 and up chebbys had a semifloat 14??
well I think
but I alsso know not to over tow and towing with a swb sucks the ass
i just tried to think of a half ton axle and that one popped in my head..


SWB blows.. unless you like fighting with the trailer and whitknuckle driving the whole way..
Mclovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 11:17 AM   #78
Skooter_Built
Fuck talk, Duck walk!
 
Skooter_Built's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Whitelake, MI
Posts: 14,595
iTrader: (26)
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
whats gonna have a 10 bolt thats less than 20 years old? an S10?
I don't know dick about ferds but I know dodges has a 9.25 and 88 and up chebbys had a semifloat 14??
well I think
but I alsso know not to over tow and towing with a swb sucks the ass
most 88+ Chevy & GMC 1/2tons had 10bolt rears. With some having 14bolt semi floats, same with the "heavy" 1/2 tons & some 3/4 tons; while other 3/4 tons having the ff 14bolt. All depended on what truck and package you bought.
__________________
I'm the man in White.

If you want peace, prepare for war!

Forgiveness is between them and God. It's my job to arrange the meeting.
Skooter_Built is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 07:50 PM   #79
Roadhouse
DrivewayJeeper
 
Roadhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Sanford
Posts: 10,956
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skooter_Built View Post
most 88+ Chevy & GMC 1/2tons had 10bolt rears. With some having 14bolt semi floats, same with the "heavy" 1/2 tons & some 3/4 tons; while other 3/4 tons having the ff 14bolt. All depended on what truck and package you bought.
exactly...even brand new Chevy's 1/2 tons have an AAM axle equal to a 10bolt. My '99 Suburban has a 10bolt rear. After one year towing with it, I was comfortable towing 8k lbs behind it anymore.
Roadhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 08:20 PM   #80
DocRamcharger
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 03-09-08
Location: MI
Posts: 232
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

To the question at hand, we probably should know what the 10% towing would consist of. Hauling a pop-up camper or short travel trailer, or something like a 26 ft enclosed or a 27+ fifth wheel trailer? I've owned a 00 1/2 ton Ram 5.9L extended shortbed, K&N filter and Flowmaster 2.5" exhaust, and although it lacked power for heavy loads, it rode decent for a truck, had a good amount of creature comforts, was reliable, stopped well, hauled decent, and I was getting about 18 on the e-way @75 mph, 10-12 in the city. Hauling mileage dropped to about 10 mpg.

My dad has an 04 3/4 ton Ram, with the 5.7L, Quad Cab LB 4x4, 5spd auto. He has no problem hauling a 27ft fifth wheel trailer with a Towbar Jeep behind at 70-75 mph. He gets about 9-10 mpg, depending on terrain, sometimes up to 14. Completely stock minus K&N filter. Unloaded it can be a little bumpy, mainly due to E rated tires at 80 psi, but not too bad overall. It hauls like a mule, 3,300 lbs of gravel in the bed can vouch for that. Unloaded, I've seen 19 mpg if you keep your foot out of it at 60mph.

If hindsight was 20/20, I would have saved my money to get a new Dodge Cummins, instead of my ex-Dodge and current Grand Am GT. Fuel costs more, but you can run Biodiesel, fuel mileage is more stable, I've heard of chipping engines and getting 25-28 mpg in eco-mode, and overall the drivetrain components last much longer.
DocRamcharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Tow rigs and trailers

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:25 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.40794 seconds with 81 queries