New Child Booster Seat Law July 1st - Page 4 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old June 25th, 2008, 09:32 PM   #61
Fatty Matty
Senior Member
 
Fatty Matty's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-05-06
Location: Tecumseh
Posts: 5,382
iTrader: (10)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
I'm not disputing the effectiveness of seat belts, child seats, or booster/safety seats.

I do resent government intrusion telling me I have to wear a seatbelt or be subject to penalty.

I do resent some politician deciding what's best for my child. Like it or not, it's my decision how to raise my child, and unless I'm obviously abusing them, government needs to stay out of it.

Because it's not such a leap to go from child seats to other 'protective measures' like what I can or can't feed them, teach them, or do with them.

I'm sure some zealots can make damn convincing arguments that I should have to feed my kids a vegan diet, teach them that white males have created all the evil in the world, not allow them to ride an ATV, ice skate, ride a bicycle, shoot a gun, use a bow, swim in a lake, row a shell without a lifejacket, ride in a small plane, travel to Mexico, waterski, tube, or participate in an organized sport where someone loses.

My kids have done all those things. They also were strapped into car seats when they were small because I thought it was best for their safety - not because some politician said so.
Well said. I like the way you think.
__________________
'12 JKU
'14 1500
www.midwest-abs.com
Fatty Matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old June 25th, 2008, 09:34 PM   #62
jeepman784
Now pedals a bicycle
 
jeepman784's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-10-07
Location: grand rapids area, michigan
Posts: 1,578
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jeepman784
Default

yea, this is such a horrible idea. Stupid laws like this really hurt the pediatric wheelchair companies. How will they sustain their businesses without upper cervical spinal cord injuries or traumatic brain injuries. Stupid government trying to keep kids safe, and maybe even have a few less insurance claims. I see no way this law could benefit anybody.
jeepman784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 09:42 PM   #63
DuffMan
Your Message Here
 
DuffMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: The Ile of Grosse
Posts: 5,845
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman784 View Post
yea, this is such a horrible idea. Stupid laws like this really hurt the pediatric wheelchair companies. How will they sustain their businesses without upper cervical spinal cord injuries or traumatic brain injuries. Stupid government trying to keep kids safe, and maybe even have a few less insurance claims. I see no way this law could benefit anybody.
As I said they're effectiveness is well-accepted. It's not about that - it's about government interference.

What about fat kids? Do we take them from their obviously incompetent parents?

Parents that smoke? Gotta save those kids from secondhand smoke.

Parents who live in areas with substandard schools? Gotta move those kids to a better school district.

Kids with well water? No flouride!?!? Take those kids away!

Kids who can't recite the alphabet, count to 10, recite their name, address, and phone number at four years old? Take them away from those illiterate, slacker parents.

Kids who's parents haven't banked $50-$70K for college? Those kids need to be moved to better families.
__________________
This is the Pub. Leave common sense at the door.
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 09:45 PM   #64
BlueydChevygal
Senior Member
 
BlueydChevygal's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-16-08
Location: Interlochen, MI
Posts: 171
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to BlueydChevygal
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
We have begun to issue tape measures to our officers. That way they can yank the kids out and measure them for the correct height of 4'9". If the kid is 4'7" you're getting a ticket. Sorry.

Also, we are issuing portable lie detectors to the cops so they can tell if the kid is really 8 years old like you're saying. If the kid fails the polygraph, you get the ticket.
OK, the tape measure i can understand, but come on. A portable lie detector???? Most of the northern counties have dropped patrol and are putting two cops to a car because of budget problems and not having the gas money. I find it a little hard to believe that all the cops are being given lie detectors. How much is the fine for this infraction anyway??
BlueydChevygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 09:46 PM   #65
Tie Dyed
O.G.
 
Tie Dyed's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 4,201
iTrader: (28)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Tie Dyed
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothos View Post
Last I looked the figure was at roughly 22% of buses on the road being equipped that carry school children.
That number sounds about right. I know that all of our buses have lap belts, and if the child is over three but under 50#, then there is a five-point harness for them.

Public School buses are a different story. We have the smaller buses, or "short buses", and these only hold 20 students max. On our buses, and other Special Education buses, there is an assistaint that also rides the bus. Now a public school bus holds 45-49 students, and only has a driver. In an Emergancy, do you think that the driver will be able to help ALL the children who can't get their belts off because they are in shock?

We are trained to get as many students off (wheelchair students included), but make sure that we are safe. In todays sue happy world, if a child did not get off becaust the bus driver couldn't help them undo the seatbelt in time, I do not want to know how much money they would try to get.

Also, a school bus, just the cab and frame come in at 8000#. Now, once the seating area is added, it comes in at 30,000#. This is on one of our "short buses, so the weights are higher for full buses.

Your child is safer on a school bus with no seat belt, then they are in your car with a seat belt.
__________________
2000 XJ with a 3 inch body lift
Tie Dyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 09:47 PM   #66
Tie Dyed
O.G.
 
Tie Dyed's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 4,201
iTrader: (28)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Tie Dyed
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by howell_jeep View Post
it would cost too much, you know the teachers need to have their pensions funded
Not even fucking close. Please, do not speak again about things that you have NO FUCKING IDEA of what you are talking about.
__________________
2000 XJ with a 3 inch body lift
Tie Dyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 09:55 PM   #67
Hombre
I carry a shank
 
Hombre's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-15-06
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,549
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
I'm not disputing the effectiveness of seat belts, child seats, or booster/safety seats.

I do resent government intrusion telling me I have to wear a seatbelt or be subject to penalty.

I do resent some politician deciding what's best for my child. Like it or not, it's my decision how to raise my child, and unless I'm obviously abusing them, government needs to stay out of it.

Because it's not such a leap to go from child seats to other 'protective measures' like what I can or can't feed them, teach them, or do with them.

I'm sure some zealots can make damn convincing arguments that I should have to feed my kids a vegan diet, teach them that white males have created all the evil in the world, not allow them to ride an ATV, ice skate, ride a bicycle, shoot a gun, use a bow, swim in a lake, row a shell without a lifejacket, ride in a small plane, travel to Mexico, waterski, tube, or participate in an organized sport where someone loses.

My kids have done all those things. They also were strapped into car seats when they were small because I thought it was best for their safety - not because some politician said so.
This is EXACTLY how I feel. Good job! I do have one extra twist though because I am a cop. I would just once, like to see a law passed that was actually fucking enforceable. It's like the law they passed about riding in the open bed of a pickup truck. It's illegal to ride in the open bed of a pickup unless you're over 18 or you're a migrant worker or farm hand in the process of farm work. So just how the hell do you enforce something like that? Guess what? Everybody I stop lies about their age or says they're a farmer. Also, what does that law say? It says we don't care if Mexicans or farmers or people over 18 get killed from riding in the open bed of a pickup. We just care about the kids. This law does the same thing. We don't care about the 8 year old who may be too small. If he/she gets killed I guess that's an acceptable loss. One more stupid, difficult to enforce law passed by a bunch of hand-holding, kum-by-a singing fucking idiots in Lansing and in Washington D.C. The very fuckers who are going to kill this country from within with their stupid ass bullshit.

P.S. My kids have ridden in child restraints and I believe in them, but I don't want the government passing dumb ass laws like this for me to enforce when I need to be arresting people who commit REAL crimes.

P.S.S. Also. Tell fuckers to quit calling 911 when they see that somebody left a dog inside a car for 10 minutes while they ran into a store. It's a fucking dog!!! Animal care, NOT animal worship.

Fucking Liberals!!!

(end rant)
Hombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 09:56 PM   #68
Hombre
I carry a shank
 
Hombre's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-15-06
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,549
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueydChevygal View Post
OK, the tape measure i can understand, but come on. A portable lie detector???? Most of the northern counties have dropped patrol and are putting two cops to a car because of budget problems and not having the gas money. I find it a little hard to believe that all the cops are being given lie detectors. How much is the fine for this infraction anyway??
I was being sarcastic. Where's my pics?
Hombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 09:57 PM   #69
BlueydChevygal
Senior Member
 
BlueydChevygal's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-16-08
Location: Interlochen, MI
Posts: 171
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to BlueydChevygal
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
I was being sarcastic. Where's my pics?
Wheres mine????You got one already!!!
BlueydChevygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 12:43 AM   #70
Immortal
NO RELIGION WAT!
 
Immortal's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: In my garage
Posts: 26,361
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Default

My son has his new birthday memorized :tonka:
Immortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:33 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.29762 seconds with 50 queries