Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Trail Rides & 4x4 Events
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 8th, 2008, 12:01 PM   #1
Foamer
Senior Member
 
Foamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-29-08
Location: Grand Haven, MI
Posts: 664
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default Trail Ride June 21st up near Baldwin

A few of my friends and I are going on a trail ride up near Baldwin in the Manistee National Forest. I figured I would put the word out there if anyone else wants to come along and have a blast.

The exact route has not been determined yet (we are going out next weekend to map the route on legal trails and find some challenging areas.) but I am aiming for a 4-5 hour trip ending at a decent restaurant/bar.

I will also be bringing along my portable grill to cook burgers and dogs if there is a demand for them.

I will update this with more final info soon. I just wanted to get it out there to see if there was any interest. I will also soon be organizing a fund-raising run to help out the Steam Railroading Institute in Owosso (a 501c3 non-profit educational railway museum that is volunteer-run). They desperately need money to keep their programs running through 2010 since the federal railway administration requires them to do a massive and costly inspection of the steam locomotive.

The run I am planning on the 21st is free,a nd just for fun with good food and drinks at the end.
Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 09:10 PM   #2
Kozmotoo
Newbie
 
Kozmotoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-28-08
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 27
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I'll keep this one in mind. Ready for my 2nd off road adventure (1st was OTSC May 31st).
Kozmotoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 09:35 PM   #3
MiNi Beast
Senior Member
 
MiNi Beast's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-13-06
Location: Marquette, MI
Posts: 9,002
iTrader: (75)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Not sure yet weather I'll be going up to Silver Lake that weekend or not, but if not I'm down in heading back up there.
MiNi Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 09:49 PM   #4
funandgames
Senior Member
 
funandgames's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-07-07
Location: The Jungle
Posts: 312
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default Great time..

I just got home from a trail run in the same area it was a blast......
funandgames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 11:16 AM   #5
hotwired
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 04-10-06
Location: Muskegon
Posts: 665
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I'd be interested in that, in-laws have a place in Brohman, so I can be right in the area.
hotwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 11:58 AM   #6
TimHansen
78 and 83 cj-7's
 
TimHansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-02-06
Location: Ludington
Posts: 212
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

There are a lot of nice trails in that area. We ride that area at least twice a summer.
TimHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 01:42 PM   #7
JeepsnDogs
Member
 
JeepsnDogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-15-08
Location: Howard City, MI
Posts: 45
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Count one more in! Tentatively...God only knows what two weeks will bring...

Maybe I can get my co-pilot to get his lil baby wrangler ready so he can get that stuck instead! :)
Great trails up there!
Maybe I'll ride the quad behind ya'all :)

Look into it first, we we got told by the DNR on Saturday that we can get fined if its an 'organized group event'. Evidentally permits are required.

Of course Im game for playing dumb instead of giving more money to the state :)
JeepsnDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 02:40 PM   #8
upchuck
Senior Member
 
upchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-16-07
Location: grand rapids, Michigan
Posts: 1,094
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I think we may have to start these things via phone. Verizon, etc are only surrendering our conversations to the NSA, not the DNR.
upchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 02:55 PM   #9
liv2mx
i like jungle gym's.
 
liv2mx's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-10-05
Location: silver lake
Posts: 11,162
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

i can show you guys some good spots..i will be around. like they said put this in pm's so dnr cant see everything and stop a nice trail ride.. they like to do that around here.
liv2mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 03:37 PM   #10
Foamer
Senior Member
 
Foamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-29-08
Location: Grand Haven, MI
Posts: 664
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2mx View Post
i can show you guys some good spots..i will be around. like they said put this in pm's so dnr cant see everything and stop a nice trail ride.. they like to do that around here.
My buddy will be along for the ride with me. He is a CO. We need to keep it legal, but if there are fun mud holes on LEGAL trails he says go for it. I just called him, and he said dont worry about having a group, as long as the size is reasonable.

He said since it is a few people from a message board meeting and going out riding, it is not an event people are paying for, and it wont be a large gathering, there wont be any problem as long as we keep it legal.
Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 03:47 PM   #11
liv2mx
i like jungle gym's.
 
liv2mx's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-10-05
Location: silver lake
Posts: 11,162
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamer View Post
My buddy will be along for the ride with me. He is a CO. We need to keep it legal, but if there are fun mud holes on LEGAL trails he says go for it. I just called him, and he said dont worry about having a group, as long as the size is reasonable.

He said since it is a few people from a message board meeting and going out riding, it is not an event people are paying for, and it wont be a large gathering, there wont be any problem as long as we keep it legal.
sounds good..keep it legal around here, there already has been a ton of trails closed..
liv2mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 08:04 PM   #12
upchuck
Senior Member
 
upchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-16-07
Location: grand rapids, Michigan
Posts: 1,094
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Not hitching the thread, but anybody know if the trail from the north off of 16 mile south
between Kenosha and Highbanks Lake is open? Not the fire road for access to Highbanks campground, the gnarly one down into the marsh and a deep uphill of mud
upchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 08:31 PM   #13
Kozmotoo
Newbie
 
Kozmotoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-28-08
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 27
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I'd be traveling 2.5-3 hours to get there - I want to make sure my stock, daily-driver '08 Wrangler 4dr can make it. I'm not interested in mud bogging or rock climbing, rather the occasional big hills and scenic trail riding. Is this the case?

What else will I need? National Park Sticker? ORV Sticker? Flag? (no tricks on the newbie, please)
Kozmotoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 08:42 PM   #14
TekWarren
Newbie
 
Join Date: 02-16-08
Location: Fremont/Muskegon
Posts: 9
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via ICQ to TekWarren Send a message via AIM to TekWarren Send a message via MSN to TekWarren Send a message via Yahoo to TekWarren
Default

I'd be interested in some more trails....OR hitting the dunes...I've yet to go up there with my Jeep.

Koz, don't worry about a thing. I was out with these guys this last weekend in my stock 08 unlimited X also a DD, I'm still learning what I need to keep handy when I go out. So far the most important thing is not to go out alone! If you don't feel comfortable doing something don't do it! There are go arounds a lot of times or you can just sit back with the rest of us and :tonka: and the other guys playing in the mud.
TekWarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 10:37 PM   #15
Foamer
Senior Member
 
Foamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-29-08
Location: Grand Haven, MI
Posts: 664
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozmotoo View Post
I'd be traveling 2.5-3 hours to get there - I want to make sure my stock, daily-driver '08 Wrangler 4dr can make it. I'm not interested in mud bogging or rock climbing, rather the occasional big hills and scenic trail riding. Is this the case?

What else will I need? National Park Sticker? ORV Sticker? Flag? (no tricks on the newbie, please)
You need the stickers, two flags, one each of the Jeep water and gas jugs, etc... j/k


What you really need is some front and rear tow points in case you get stuck. Ill have some straps, a large come-along, and a hi-lift jack if needed, and I am sure others will have recovery equipment as well.

Bring some snacks and water or other non-alcoholic drink (remember, a DNR CO will be riding with me, so don't try to get away with drinking alcohol, or tearing up the trails too bad; He is lenient and will definitely let us have fun, but doing stuff like going into the mud holes along the power lines like last weekend is a no-no.) My buddy is not going along to enforce the laws (he just loves exploring the trails), but he will enforce them if people blatantly break the law or drink and drive. He has also offered to show me some challenging and fun legal trails as well. We are going out this coming weekend to map the route we will be taking on the 21st.

My Grand Cherokee only has a 2.5" lift on it, and it had absolutely no issues at all last weekend. I have only buried it once, and it was mostly due to me being 'brave' in front of girls, going through a crater in the middle of the road that no sane person would have went into. If I brought my recovery equipment that day, I would have easily gotten out, but instead had to call a tow truck.

Don't worry, your vehicle will do fine on the trails I am planning. There will be a couple challenging spots, but you shouldn't have any problem (and if you do, we wont leave you behind)

Last edited by Foamer; June 10th, 2008 at 11:24 AM.
Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 11:19 AM   #16
Kozmotoo
Newbie
 
Kozmotoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-28-08
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 27
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Assuming you'd want people to gather before hitting the trails, what time would that be? I have to decide if I should camp nearby the night before, or leave home early Saturday morning.
Kozmotoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 11:23 AM   #17
Foamer
Senior Member
 
Foamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-29-08
Location: Grand Haven, MI
Posts: 664
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozmotoo View Post
Assuming you'd want people to gather before hitting the trails, what time would that be? I have to decide if I should camp nearby the night before, or leave home early Saturday morning.
Probably 10am. All details (starting point/end point/time, etc) will be finalized within the next 2 days.. The actual route taken will be finalized this weekend when my buddy and I go out to map the route.
Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 11:41 AM   #18
MiNi Beast
Senior Member
 
MiNi Beast's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-13-06
Location: Marquette, MI
Posts: 9,002
iTrader: (75)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamer View Post
You need the stickers, two flags, one each of the Jeep water and gas jugs, etc... j/k


What you really need is some front and rear tow points in case you get stuck. Ill have some straps, a large come-along, and a hi-lift jack if needed, and I am sure others will have recovery equipment as well.

Bring some snacks and water or other non-alcoholic drink (remember, a DNR CO will be riding with me, so don't try to get away with drinking alcohol, or tearing up the trails too bad; He is lenient and will definitely let us have fun, but doing stuff like going into the mud holes along the power lines like last weekend is a no-no.) My buddy is not going along to enforce the laws (he just loves exploring the trails), but he will enforce them if people blatantly break the law or drink and drive. He has also offered to show me some challenging and fun legal trails as well. We are going out this coming weekend to map the route we will be taking on the 21st.

My Grand Cherokee only has a 2.5" lift on it, and it had absolutely no issues at all last weekend. I have only buried it once, and it was mostly due to me being 'brave' in front of girls, going through a crater in the middle of the road that no sane person would have went into. If I brought my recovery equipment that day, I would have easily gotten out, but instead had to call a tow truck.

Don't worry, your vehicle will do fine on the trails I am planning. There will be a couple challenging spots, but you shouldn't have any problem (and if you do, we wont leave you behind)


You don't necessarily need a ORV sticker,most those trailsl are forests roads and any street legal vehicle can ride them.

But if you can get a sticker it is better to have one then not.
MiNi Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 11:20 AM   #19
hotwired
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 04-10-06
Location: Muskegon
Posts: 665
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by upchuck View Post
Not hitching the thread, but anybody know if the trail from the north off of 16 mile south
between Kenosha and Highbanks Lake is open? Not the fire road for access to Highbanks campground, the gnarly one down into the marsh and a deep uphill of mud
That trail used to be blocked from the North end, just at the start of the marsh. Looked like the DNR had closed it. Last summer I went North into the marsh with my Sammi, didn't realize exactly where i was going to end up but I came to where the posts had been accross the trail. Someone ripped them out. I don't think the DNR had done it, but when I taalked to the Ranger in Baldwin, he couldn't tell me whether it was open now or not. He said they will have a map NEXT year and to try to stay off the illegal trails. I don't quite understand how to know which ones are legal or illegal without a map though.
hotwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 03:11 PM   #20
SteelMastiff
Senior Member
 
SteelMastiff's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-06-07
Location: Allendale,MI
Posts: 104
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I would love to be able to go in this run; my 82 yr. old father has a place in baldwin and would really enjoy the chance to go out exploring the area... But, I will be someplace between MOAB and my home on the 21st.

No chance of pushing it back a week is there?J/K.

I am sure there will be other chances in the future though.
SteelMastiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Trail Rides & 4x4 Events
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:46 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.26681 seconds with 50 queries