Line locks as cutting brakes, opinions needed. - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > General Tech
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 21st, 2008, 03:14 PM   #1
Skooter_Built
Fuck talk, Duck walk!
 
Skooter_Built's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Whitelake, MI
Posts: 14,569
iTrader: (26)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Default Line locks as cutting brakes, opinions needed.

Im soon going to be upgrading to a twin stick T-case for my TJ and figure that while Im at it install some kind of cutting brake so i can lock up just the back brakes and do front digs if needed.

Now ive seen a few different setups and was wanting peoples opinions. First off should i run electric or manual locks. Manual locks are very simple, nothing really can break on them, but to mount them where you want will require lots of brake line bending into the cab on the Jeep. I could use plastic brake, which would be easier to run, but its also easier to damage. Electric locks are remote and can be mounted inline where you want them, however the soleinods can get mighty hot in left in use for more than a minute(or so others say).

The next thing to consider is to use just 1 line lock to control both rear wheels or have 2 locks and be able to lock up each rear wheel independently. Being that my White TJ is not really a competition rig I really dont think 2 locks are all that necessary, they double the cost of everything,
and double the chance of something going wrong, but they also offer more choices.

Another option i was thinking about was using a regular cutting brake. This also is a very simple way to lock up the rear, but required a lot of extra work and time and wouldnt really fit in the interior of my Jeep.

Oh and incase anyone is wondering, i dont really have to worry about damaging my drive train. The front is a HP 44, with 35spline ARB locker and dana 60 outers, the rear is a Solid Axle HP SF 60, with 35 spline ARB, alloy shafts, and disk brakes with parking brakes, and the T-case is a STak. Only thing that might be weak is in the front. 30 spline outer stubs and factory u-joints. If those break ill convert to 35 spline outers and CTM or Longfield u-joints.
__________________
I'm the man in White.

If you want peace, prepare for war!

Forgiveness is between them and God. It's my job to arrange the meeting.
Skooter_Built is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old May 21st, 2008, 04:13 PM   #2
hosejockey4506
Visiting Admin
 
hosejockey4506's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: fenton
Posts: 8,820
iTrader: (43)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

or buy a cutting brake

i have heard the electric line locks get very warm after extended use
hosejockey4506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 04:23 PM   #3
High Center Hancho
rack tap re-rack click
 
High Center Hancho's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-10-07
Location: Genesee County
Posts: 13,479
iTrader: (40)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

real cutting brakes are cheap and easy to install...just do one of those...you can get a single or twin stick brake...just look for sandrail parts
High Center Hancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 04:37 PM   #4
Sandals
Fucking Zen as Shit
 
Sandals's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Lindenhurst, IL
Posts: 15,401
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

If your looking for a cutting brake, buy a cutting brake.

If you want a line lock definatly get a manual one, i prefer the Mico Lever lock
http://www.mico.com/products/displaysubinfo.php?id=43
Sandals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 04:57 PM   #5
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,758
iTrader: (57)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

I'd agree, get a cutting brake if thats what you want. Ease of use will be better (unless you need to shift, steer, and brake....).

But, another creative post to pimp your shiny parts, very clever
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 05:14 PM   #6
Pokerob
hug life
 
Pokerob's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-25-06
Location: G-Rap, MI
Posts: 10,147
iTrader: (25)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

do cutting breaks work on a rear welded diff?

i was thinking of running duel VW golf hand breaks for cutting, but im really not sure if that would even work on a welded diff, im guessing not.
Pokerob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 05:15 PM   #7
insaneoffroader
Senior Member
 
insaneoffroader's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-11-08
Location: Allegan
Posts: 2,431
iTrader: (10)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

the only problem i see w/the cutting brake is every time you want to use it you will have to unlock the the rear ARB. i know its not that hard to do but just a thought .
insaneoffroader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 05:19 PM   #8
MidMichxj
Wrenchin for a livin
 
MidMichxj's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-21-07
Location: Saginaw, Michigan
Posts: 580
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Why not just use the parking brake to hold the rears?
You are not looking to hold the rears individually are you?
MidMichxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 05:23 PM   #9
hosejockey4506
Visiting Admin
 
hosejockey4506's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: fenton
Posts: 8,820
iTrader: (43)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by insaneoffroader View Post
the only problem i see w/the cutting brake is every time you want to use it you will have to unlock the the rear ARB. i know its not that hard to do but just a thought .
haha where do you get this info
hosejockey4506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 05:59 PM   #10
Pokerob
hug life
 
Pokerob's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-25-06
Location: G-Rap, MI
Posts: 10,147
iTrader: (25)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidMichxj View Post
Why not just use the parking brake to hold the rears?
You are not looking to hold the rears individually are you?
because the parking break holds both,

from what ive read cutting holds one each side
Pokerob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 06:37 PM   #11
Monkeyevil
I <3 Miatas
 
Monkeyevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 8,987
iTrader: (16)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Monkeyevil
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerob View Post
because the parking break holds both,

from what ive read cutting holds one each side
Yes, cutting brakes technically are supposed to activate one brake or the other to assist in a tight turn. If you have a locking differential it would have to be unlocked to be a "cutting" brake.

That said, on tight turns I can put my rear drive line in neutral, turn to lock, and hold my foot on the brake while giving it gas. The front tires will overcome the brake and the locked front will drag the welded rear as it turns.
__________________
JcrOffroad
Zoom Zoom!
Monkeyevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 06:43 PM   #12
High Center Hancho
rack tap re-rack click
 
High Center Hancho's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-10-07
Location: Genesee County
Posts: 13,479
iTrader: (40)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

cutting breaks will not work on a welded or locked diff...duh...
High Center Hancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 06:48 PM   #13
Skooter_Built
Fuck talk, Duck walk!
 
Skooter_Built's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Whitelake, MI
Posts: 14,569
iTrader: (26)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
I'd agree, get a cutting brake if thats what you want. Ease of use will be better (unless you need to shift, steer, and brake....).
But, another creative post to pimp your shiny parts, very clever
im still considering it as an option, but with a full center counsol, parking brake, manual shifter...there is little to no room. I think ill give an electric line lock a try, there not very expensive.
yes im very proud of being a college student that works very hard and buys nice things. Shame on me:miff: jelious
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidMichxj View Post
Why not just use the parking brake to hold the rears?
You are not looking to hold the rears individually are you?
not enough holding power, remember parking/emergency brakes arnt ment to completly stop your vehicle like your regular brakes
__________________
I'm the man in White.

If you want peace, prepare for war!

Forgiveness is between them and God. It's my job to arrange the meeting.
Skooter_Built is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 07:04 PM   #14
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,758
iTrader: (57)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hancho View Post
cutting breaks will not work on a welded or locked diff...duh...
Well, they work, just they lock both tires. So having a single action cutting break to lock the entire rear axle is a decent option.

Here's a topic I started about it a while back on Pirate:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=671967

General concensus is that its still quite effective.

I know the people I have discussed this with who have used line locks do to this didn't like the level of coordination to do it. With a cutting brake, its a single action, pulling the level moves fluid, so engages the brake. With line locks, you need to either activate the lock, then hit the brakes, or hit the brakes and then activate the lock, depending on the method you are using.

I plan a single level (single output) brake in my Jeep. With the automatic, I can modulate the rear brakes with one hand and steer with the other.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 07:21 PM   #15
insaneoffroader
Senior Member
 
insaneoffroader's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-11-08
Location: Allegan
Posts: 2,431
iTrader: (10)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

i'm not saying it don't work. its just not a "cutting" brake by the definition most people know
insaneoffroader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 07:28 PM   #16
High Center Hancho
rack tap re-rack click
 
High Center Hancho's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-10-07
Location: Genesee County
Posts: 13,479
iTrader: (40)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
Well, they work, just they lock both tires. So having a single action cutting break to lock the entire rear axle is a decent option.
Here's a topic I started about it a while back on Pirate:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=671967

General concensus is that its still quite effective.

I know the people I have discussed this with who have used line locks do to this didn't like the level of coordination to do it. With a cutting brake, its a single action, pulling the level moves fluid, so engages the brake. With line locks, you need to either activate the lock, then hit the brakes, or hit the brakes and then activate the lock, depending on the method you are using.

I plan a single level (single output) brake in my Jeep. With the automatic, I can modulate the rear brakes with one hand and steer with the other.
ya..but thats not a cutting brake...thats having independent brakes...completely different in my book
High Center Hancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 07:33 PM   #17
Mclovin
"The Situation"
 
Mclovin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Westland, Mi
Posts: 14,395
iTrader: (15)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Mclovin Send a message via Yahoo to Mclovin
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skooter_Built View Post
im still considering it as an option, but with a full center counsol, parking brake, manual shifter...there is little to no room. I think ill give an electric line lock a try, there not very expensive.
yes im very proud of being a college student that works very hard and buys nice things. Shame on me:miff: jelious

not enough holding power, remember parking/emergency brakes arnt ment to completly stop your vehicle like your regular brakes
didnt you post a while back that your parents paid for your off roading habits ??
not talking shit my parents paid for my stuff through college..
Mclovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 07:40 PM   #18
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,758
iTrader: (57)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hancho View Post
ya..but thats not a cutting brake...thats having independent brakes...completely different in my book
Clearly, but when you go to purhase something like this:



you call it a cutting brake, even if you aren't controlling the rears independantly. So, if I install it my Jeep, I would still call it a cutting brake, even though I have a welded diff.



I miss my sand rail.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 07:43 PM   #19
DCX
out to lunch
 
DCX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-30-07
Location: Flushing MI
Posts: 1,849
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
Clearly, but when you go to purhase something like this:



you call it a cutting brake, even if you aren't controlling the rears independantly. So, if I install it my Jeep, I would still call it a cutting brake, even though I have a welded diff.



I miss my sand rail.
Hello the one in your pic still controls the rears separately so it is a cutting brake!
DCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 08:04 PM   #20
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,758
iTrader: (57)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCX View Post
Hello the one in your pic still controls the rears separately so it is a cutting brake!

*sigh*

So, is it a cutting brake if you bleed and block one port and run the other to a combined rear line?

Yes.

Is it independant control?

No.



If you used half of a dual lever cutting brake, do you magically rename it to something else?

If you ran each output seperately to the left and right calipers on a welded axle, is it independant lockup? No (although stresses the axle shafts...)


Whats with the web wheeler cutting brake name police in here?
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > General Tech
Tags
acid

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.33476 seconds with 80 queries