Pagan Religion? - Page 5 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 13th, 2008, 04:27 PM   #81
AGoodBuzz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 12-09-07
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 1,557
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1likesme View Post
by pagan I mean any of the polytheistic beliefs including the greek, egyptian, roman, norse, celtic, etc... religions.
Given the Holy Trinity and all that, isn't Christianity polytheistic? If so, shouldn't they be denied tax exempt status? Isn't that only for monotheistic churches?
AGoodBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old May 13th, 2008, 04:42 PM   #82
AGoodBuzz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 12-09-07
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 1,557
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
oh man, that was just too easy. I was joking guys. Way to easy. OH, and I highly doubt that any of the "pagan Relgions" have near as many documents pertaining to them as Christianity. I won't ask you to prove it though.



I would like to see said fact that we are from pond scum. You're wrong in saying it's fact. It's theory. You can't prove that scientifically anymore then I can prove that God created the Universe in 6 days.
Ah, but the 'probability' that we 'evolved' from an aquatic species is far more demonstrable than the notion that this was all created by magic.
AGoodBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 04:52 PM   #83
AGoodBuzz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 12-09-07
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 1,557
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87'YJ View Post
Just proof that many people are uneducated idiots!

The Heaven's gate cult is a great example, just because one man makes up an insane book/cult doesn't make it true!

The Bible has 30-40 authors through the span of 1000 years and their theme fits together perfectly and in historically accurate... a little different.
Actually it's LOADED with contradictions:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...contradictions

I'm sure you'll have an explanation for them, but explaining 'why' doesn't change the fact that the contradicitons exist, so your comment is not valid.
AGoodBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 05:06 PM   #84
AGoodBuzz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 12-09-07
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 1,557
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87'YJ View Post
The Education about any religion (and I have studied many of them at OSU) is a good thing. BUT, when that education leads to blatant contradictions, or flat out untruths, its time to consider that religion an "unviable option" and move on.
I repeat: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...contradictions
AGoodBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 05:12 PM   #85
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,998
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoodBuzz View Post
Ah, but the 'probability' that we 'evolved' from an aquatic species is far more demonstrable than the notion that this was all created by magic.
Yeah, but it's not very far away. I thought Creationists used Probability, not Evoultionists?

Quote:
Given the Holy Trinity and all that, isn't Christianity polytheistic? If so, shouldn't they be denied tax exempt status? Isn't that only for monotheistic churches?
Either you're joking, or you don't truly have/Want to have a Clear understanding of the Trinity. Once agian, It's a horse I'd rather not beat again. Poor little horsies of Christian Theology.
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 05:25 PM   #86
schanxj
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 12-28-05
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 1,135
iTrader: (14)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

http://zeitgeistmovie.com/

I didnt read all the pages here but many of the questions may be answered here...not that I believe it all...Im an oddball though(I spent 12 years of my life in catholic schools). The biggest thing I got from those 12 years was as long as you try do do the right thing aka be a good person you dont need organized religion to explain the past.
schanxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 05:26 PM   #87
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,998
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDevil View Post
Not only how if effected their lives but the wide spanse of religions that come together when you get that many of us together.

It is purely commercialized now. However,every other holiday has met that same fate as well, or should I say religious holidays.

Where are these "Roman Documents"?

So far they are just speculation because no one outside of the vatican has seen them. If you know where to find them, please do share. I am not afraid of learning.


EDIT-

Its "Gods" money, he is just letting us use it????? are you serious?

I would love to know where that came from. They all take donations, weather it be in the form of currency, goods, or services. They write it off.
Quote:
Leviticus 27:30-33
A tithe of everything from the land, whether grain from the soil or fruit from the trees, belongs to the LORD; it is holy to the LORD. 31 If a man redeems any of his tithe, he must add a fifth of the value to it. 32 The entire tithe of the herd and flockóevery tenth animal that passes under the shepherd's rodówill be holy to the LORD. 33 He must not pick out the good from the bad or make any substitution. If he does make a substitution, both the animal and its substitute become holy and cannot be redeemed.'
That's 10 percent right there from the OT. The idea of everything is God's really isn't that hard to understand. God created the universe and all that is in it. All things that we "own" aren't really ours but God has provided them for us to use. Wether that be Money, Cars, Houses, even our talents. Keep in mind this is Christian theology so saying the bible isn't real in this Discussion really isn't a valid or helpful to this situation.

To answer your Question striaght foward. I'd say (from a Christian Standpoint) Common Sense.

I'm also glad to see that you are not scared of Learning. Neither am I.
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 05:27 PM   #88
zjjamie
Senior Member
 
zjjamie's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-24-07
Location: Westland, Michigan
Posts: 431
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84Scrambler View Post
They are all equally fairy tales.
X2
zjjamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 05:32 PM   #89
AGoodBuzz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 12-09-07
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 1,557
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
Yeah, but it's not very far away. I thought Creationists used Probability, not Evoultionists?



Either you're joking, or you don't truly have/Want to have a Clear understanding of the Trinity. Once agian, It's a horse I'd rather not beat again. Poor little horsies of Christian Theology.
Okay, so 'splain it to me Lucy.
AGoodBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 05:33 PM   #90
AGoodBuzz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 12-09-07
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 1,557
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
Yeah, but it's not very far away. I thought Creationists used Probability, not Evoultionists?
Was this supposed to be a rebuttal?
AGoodBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 05:36 PM   #91
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,874
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
That's 10 percent right there from the OT. The idea of everything is God's really isn't that hard to understand. God created the universe and all that is in it. All things that we "own" aren't really ours but God has provided them for us to use. Wether that be Money, Cars, Houses, even our talents. Keep in mind this is Christian theology so saying the bible isn't real in this Discussion really isn't a valid or helpful to this situation.

To answer your Question striaght foward. I'd say (from a Christian Standpoint) Common Sense.

I'm also glad to see that you are not scared of Learning. Neither am I.
it also says to stone unruly children in the old testament, you guys have seemed to throw that one out, can't you throw out this one too?
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 06:11 PM   #92
Chiefwoohaw
Pokerob is my B*tch!
 
Chiefwoohaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,509
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Why does AGoodBuzz know all but at the same time doesn't know how to combine quotes into one post instead of wasting band width with many many post??
Chiefwoohaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 06:41 PM   #93
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,579
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoodBuzz View Post
Given the Holy Trinity and all that, isn't Christianity polytheistic? If so, shouldn't they be denied tax exempt status? Isn't that only for monotheistic churches?
Where do you get the idea that tax exemption for religion only applies to monotheistic churches?
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 06:50 PM   #94
no1likesme
not Frank Sinatra
 
no1likesme's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-10-08
Location: shepherd, MI
Posts: 678
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to no1likesme Send a message via MSN to no1likesme
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
insert George Carlin's rant about God who can't handle his money...
I love George Carlin. He came to the casino in sault ste marie a month or so ago and I missed it. now I probably won't get to see him
no1likesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 07:03 PM   #95
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,998
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Okay, so 'splain it to me Lucy
Poor little Horsie.

Quote:
Was this supposed to be a rebuttal?
It was more me just trying to be Humorous. If you don't like it, I'll stop.

Quote:
it also says to stone unruly children in the old testament, you guys have seemed to throw that one out, can't you throw out this one too?
For some odd reason I knew you'd say something like that. Call me Phsyic. Although, a very good question.
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 07:11 PM   #96
84Scrambler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Lansing
Posts: 5,948
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to 84Scrambler
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87'YJ View Post
The more educated you are, specifically in areas of history, archeology, ancient cultures and ancient writings, the more able you are to determine truth from fiction in religions.

Education about any religion (and I have studied many of them at OSU) is a good thing. BUT, when that education leads to blatant contradictions, or flat out untruths, its time to consider that religion an "unviable option" and move on.

Education has ALOT to do with religion. Uneducated people throughout history can be tricked into believing anything no matter how foolish because they do not know better.

There can be only one true religion (or no true religion). They all hold contradictory statements, therefore cannot all be true. Through learning about these, we can see that many don't make any rational sense at all (and a religion should make some rational sense....right?)

How convenient that the Church of England and the Roman Catholic Church took it upon themselves to be the keep of most of the historical documents thru most of our written history. I would love to know what written works are held in the Vatican that haven't been seen by anyone other than the highest church officials for centuries.
84Scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 12:10 AM   #97
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,874
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
For some odd reason I knew you'd say something like that. Call me Phsyic. Although, a very good question.
Ok, Phsyic.

in fact, if you can just pick and choose what ones you want to follow and which ones you don't (because they are insanely wrong) why not just toss the whole thing out and start over with ONLY the good things. who needs the slavery, stoning adulterers and unruly children, genocide, etc. etc.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 02:58 AM   #98
dodger889
Senior Member
 
dodger889's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-13-08
Location: north of ann arbor, mi
Posts: 1,109
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Ahhhh It finally hit me is wrong here. I see a lot of out of context quotes from the bible. If you quote a line here and there this leads to miss understanding is coming into pay. Now please guys if you are going to quote any sorce please do to whole sentence or idea behind the quote not just a line. See then you well you do it but if you look I complete the thought behind parphrasing. I will not battle with you verse and chapter. It's been a while since I did any studies that way...

But I have an opening for a pagan Christ center church and we can meet under the old oak tree some where in the woods.
Services will be started by quiet time watching the sun come up taking in the beauty of the day not a word will be ushered for a half an hour the dismissel with eveyone noding and heading to the 4X4s for a nice day of mud bogging or trail riding .....

What do guys think do I have a chance to have church that way ?????

may we all just be kind to one another while we share this world
Just joking about the church thing
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 03:44 AM   #99
YJ_Runner88
Clarkston, Michigan
 
YJ_Runner88's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-27-08
Location: Clarkston/ East Lansing, Michigan
Posts: 162
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to YJ_Runner88
Default

i think that the whole religion debate is lame. Whatever happened to, "do on to others as you wanted on to you?"

I think the founding fathers had it right: Deism.

(for those of you who don't know this was the belief that God or a superior being, created the universe but then left it to be ruled within the laws of the universe.)
YJ_Runner88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 09:01 AM   #100
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,998
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
Ok, Phsyic.

in fact, if you can just pick and choose what ones you want to follow and which ones you don't (because they are insanely wrong) why not just toss the whole thing out and start over with ONLY the good things. who needs the slavery, stoning adulterers and unruly children, genocide, etc. etc.

See the thing here is I never really did research on Tithing. It just made sense to me, I could have swarn there was a verse were Jesus talked about it, and how we should give. Being that I can't find that verse, It's pointless to Argue about intill I can. So, For now, On this Subject, You win. Chaulk it up to old traditions that aren't questioned.

However, The main idea that Jesus was sent to die for your sins is completely independent from Tithing. It does not change the Gospel message, tithing is just a way to show Graditude to God for all that he has blessed us with. So, we don't have to follow all the OT rules, but if it enhances our relationship with Christ, why not? Tithing is not a Requirement.

Also, As a Christian, I'm part of the body of Christ. If the body needs money, I give money. If it needs food, I give food. If one of my brothers or sisters needs a ride, I give them a Ride.....ETC....
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
Tags
burning in hell, dirty heathens

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.45268 seconds with 80 queries