Pagan Religion? - Page 4 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 12th, 2008, 10:34 PM   #61
dodger889
Senior Member
 
dodger889's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-13-08
Location: north of ann arbor, mi
Posts: 1,109
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1likesme View Post
NO! ducks float because they are made of wood
Dam someone lied to me LOL
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old May 12th, 2008, 11:15 PM   #62
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,694
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1likesme View Post
x2 If you believe Christianity that is fine but once you start saying that you can proove it you look like a moron.
I agree, that is why I never said I can prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt. Phew, good thing I didn't end up like a moron!
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 11:25 PM   #63
CHVYPWR
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
 
CHVYPWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Vicksburg, Mi.
Posts: 1,646
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Kerwin View Post
And those people are idiots, who do not understand history or documented text. What else can I possibly say? If someone rejects ALL of human history, then they take THEMSELVES out of reality. I cannot talk with someone living some fantasy life outside of reality. Jesus walked the Earth, said and did a lot of things, now deal with it. For someone to claim he never existed does not fool me, they only fool themselves. So stupid!!

Idiots huh??? I see those that follow Christianity, Judaism, and Islam as being the idiots! Mainly because of comments such as yours!!!!!!!! If someone dosn't follow one of those "big 3" religions, then they are considered non-believers, idiots, sinners, ect. WHO THE fukc ARE YOU to think that way of someone who doesn't believe in your religious beliefs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That type of mentallity is what drove me far away from those faiths many years ago! Those religions continuously look down their noses at those who don't follow like blind little sheep. How appropriate it is that your considerd a "flock" that follows your "sheppard"!!!!!!!



Quote:
Originally Posted by 87'YJ View Post
The reason most pagan religions (and there are thousands, you really need to be more specific), are not practiced in our world today (or at least in our culture) is because they have no factual base.
No, it's because other religions have drove them by force to near extinction by one of those "big 3" religions

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87'YJ View Post
Christianity and Judaism have sound facts that can be proven, for example, historically they add up. There are many proven dates and places and REAL people that both of these religions speak of. With Paganism and many myths associated with them, they are all in make believe lands or with make believe people or there have been NO findings that prove them to be true. That is one reason that our educated culture does not believe them.
One could argue the point that most of the Pagan (and Pagan being an umbrella term covering MANY beliefs) religions were around WAY before the writen history, therefore, no books or scriptures existed then. Those beliefs were passdown orally in story form, or in artwork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87'YJ View Post
Another reason is that they hold false promises. I know this point will bring alot of heat, but hear me out. Wicca or witchcraft, black magics, whatever paganism you're talking about here, hold promises that you can have a "secret" knowledge that will bring you power. Wether it be through spells, chants or sacrifices, these religions promise having power over others, or power over crops, or power over success, whatever!

So WTF is meant by "the power of prayer"?????? Same Fing thing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 87'YJ View Post
The reason that this is not embraced today is once again our education.
What does education have to do with what belief system one follows???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87'YJ View Post
we know that speaking in chants won't bring about special powers, etc.
Again, isn't that why Christians pray???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87'YJ View Post
I would argue that the promises of Christianity (and even judaism to an extent) are more "tangible". Promise 1) Living a moral life and loving others will lead to a fullfilled life, Promise 2) Believing that you have made mistakes and trusting that Jesus paid with death for those mistakes will bring a full Life (and bring eternal Life, but this is just tangible promises I am making a point on)

thoughts?
"An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will" A line from the Wiccan Rede, pretty much the equivalent to the Christian "golden rule".
http://wicca.com/celtic/wicca/rede.htm
CHVYPWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 11:31 PM   #64
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,694
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHVYPWR View Post
Idiots huh??? I see those that follow Christianity, Judaism, and Islam as being the idiots! Mainly because of comments such as yours!!!!!!!! If someone dosn't follow one of those "big 3" religions, then they are considered non-believers, idiots, sinners, ect. WHO THE fukc ARE YOU to think that way of someone who doesn't believe in your religious beliefs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That type of mentallity is what drove me far away from those faiths many years ago! Those religions continuously look down their noses at those who don't follow like blind little sheep. How appropriate it is that your considerd a "flock" that follows your "sheppard"!!!!!!!
The idiots are the ones who think that Jesus never walked the Earth. Note: I didn't say they were people who reject the big 3, or even the ones who reject faith in Jesus. Do I think those that reject faith in Christ are making a big mistake? You betcha, but I am not going to go off on someone until they make an intellectually dishonest statement such as the one that said that a man named Jesus never walked the Earth, that is downright STUPID. You have my words confused friend.
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 11:36 PM   #65
no1likesme
not Frank Sinatra
 
no1likesme's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-10-08
Location: shepherd, MI
Posts: 678
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to no1likesme Send a message via MSN to no1likesme
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHVYPWR View Post
Idiots huh??? I see those that follow Christianity, Judaism, and Islam as being the idiots! Mainly because of comments such as yours!!!!!!!! If someone dosn't follow one of those "big 3" religions, then they are considered non-believers, idiots, sinners, ect. WHO THE fukc ARE YOU to think that way of someone who doesn't believe in your religious beliefs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That type of mentallity is what drove me far away from those faiths many years ago! Those religions continuously look down their noses at those who don't follow like blind little sheep. How appropriate it is that your considerd a "flock" that follows your "sheppard"!!!!!!!





No, it's because other religions have drove them by force to near extinction by one of those "big 3" religions



One could argue the point that most of the Pagan (and Pagan being an umbrella term covering MANY beliefs) religions were around WAY before the writen history, therefore, no books or scriptures existed then. Those beliefs were passdown orally in story form, or in artwork.




So WTF is meant by "the power of prayer"?????? Same Fing thing.




What does education have to do with what belief system one follows???



Again, isn't that why Christians pray???



"An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will" A line from the Wiccan Rede, pretty much the equivalent to the Christian "golden rule".
http://wicca.com/celtic/wicca/rede.htm
I like you. Thank you for reading my thoughts and typing them here.
no1likesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 08:10 AM   #66
84Scrambler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Lansing
Posts: 5,948
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to 84Scrambler
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Kerwin View Post
The idiots are the ones who think that Jesus never walked the Earth. Note: I didn't say they were people who reject the big 3, or even the ones who reject faith in Jesus. Do I think those that reject faith in Christ are making a big mistake? You betcha, but I am not going to go off on someone until they make an intellectually dishonest statement such as the one that said that a man named Jesus never walked the Earth, that is downright STUPID. You have my words confused friend.
There are tons of people named Jesus walking around Lansing right now. A couple are probably behind a lawnmower as we speak.

Yes, there was probably a man 2000+ years ago named Jesus that walked the earth. They strung him up and buried him. He's dead.

Religion hasn't and never will fade away. Man as a whole needs comfort in stories that explain the ultimate origin. Not many are comfortable having no explanation for where it all began. Religion fills that need for the majority. It provides a warm fuzzy explanation much like a security blanket for a 3 year old.
84Scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 08:15 AM   #67
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,694
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84Scrambler View Post
Yes, there was probably a man 2000+ years ago named Jesus that walked the earth. They strung him up and buried him. He's dead.

Religion hasn't and never will fade away. Man as a whole needs comfort in stories that explain the ultimate origin. Not many are comfortable having no explanation for where it all began. Religion fills that need for the majority. It provides a warm fuzzy explanation much like a security blanket for a 3 year old.
Lets change that probably into a definitely. All that uproar could not have been over a non-existant person. Actually, they buried him in a tomb that was donated by a rich man of that day, and his body disappeared from the tomb. He most assuredly died, a terrible death at that, but the debate is over whether he came back. There are FAR more reasons to believe he did than to believe he did not.

You are entitled to your opinion friend. But for you to be ignorant and THEN to make a statement like that is silly. I would respect what you say if you knew what you were talking about, all you have is an outside perspective, but things are not always as simple as they appear. Once you open pandora's box instead of staring at it from ten feet away, things change.
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 08:36 AM   #68
84Scrambler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Lansing
Posts: 5,948
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to 84Scrambler
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Kerwin View Post
Lets change that probably into a definitely. All that uproar could not have been over a non-existant person. Actually, they buried him in a tomb that was donated by a rich man of that day, and his body disappeared from the tomb. He most assuredly died, a terrible death at that, but the debate is over whether he came back. There are FAR more reasons to believe he did than to believe he did not.

You are entitled to your opinion friend. But for you to be ignorant and THEN to make a statement like that is silly. I would respect what you say if you knew what you were talking about, all you have is an outside perspective, but things are not always as simple as they appear. Once you open pandora's box instead of staring at it from ten feet away, things change.
No Dave, you will only respect me when I start following the herd and agree with your beliefs. You really are brainwashed. I hope it works for you. You crack me up with the FAR more reasons to believe he woke up a couple days after bleeding to death line.
84Scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 08:46 AM   #69
WhiteDevil
Newbie
 
Join Date: 05-11-08
Location: 60118
Posts: 9
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
I don't think I'm any more "brainwashed" then you are. Honestly. Do you wiegh as much as a Duck? Because then that means you float, and as we all know, if you float, You're a Witch. Burn him, burn him. :tonka:

No I weight considerably more then a duck.

I was into xtianity when I was younger and thats what was forced upon me growing up in a catholic house. Then I joined the army, met new people and picked up alot on religion and soldiers lives.

Any mainstream religion is a farse, not one religion has it right. They are nothing but organized cults.

They take money, they provide typical scripted sermons, they hand feed you anything you want to hear as long as you keep giving them "donations/tithings".

And about the xtians adopting other religious cultures, they never did that, they stole them and claimed them as their own. In my religion we celebrate the rebirth of the earth during midwinter, Now known as Christmas. Im still trying to figure out how someone can celebrate a birthday of a being that never existed.
WhiteDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 08:48 AM   #70
dodger889
Senior Member
 
dodger889's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-13-08
Location: north of ann arbor, mi
Posts: 1,109
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Kerwin View Post
Lets change that probably into a definitely. All that uproar could not have been over a non-existant person. Actually, they buried him in a tomb that was donated by a rich man of that day, and his body disappeared from the tomb. He most assuredly died, a terrible death at that, but the debate is over whether he came back. There are FAR more reasons to believe he did than to believe he did not.

You are entitled to your opinion friend. But for you to be ignorant and THEN to make a statement like that is silly. I would respect what you say if you knew what you were talking about, all you have is an outside perspective, but things are not always as simple as they appear. Once you open pandora's box instead of staring at it from ten feet away, things change.
If you are standing on the word of God the please rember one of the 10 comandments: bear no false witness againist another and the other part repeated Jesus spoke about casting no stones unless you are pure. With those two statements you stepped over the line DAVE calling one a ignorant is not for you to judge IT'S NOT YOUR PLACE. YOU my friend are one of the many that has a very closed mind I will let the end days be what and when I'm judged not while I'm living don't call any idiot, moron, or stupid some of the intellagent people are one that the rest of the world call smiple or mentally handicaped.. They are has close to a pure heart on this earth than the rest of us. So let say from now on leave certain words out of text here and you will find that you can seee clearly that you will not be nearly opposing to others.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 09:26 AM   #71
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,694
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger889 View Post
If you are standing on the word of God the please rember one of the 10 comandments: bear no false witness againist another and the other part repeated Jesus spoke about casting no stones unless you are pure. With those two statements you stepped over the line DAVE calling one a ignorant is not for you to judge IT'S NOT YOUR PLACE. YOU my friend are one of the many that has a very closed mind I will let the end days be what and when I'm judged not while I'm living don't call any idiot, moron, or stupid some of the intellagent people are one that the rest of the world call smiple or mentally handicaped.. They are has close to a pure heart on this earth than the rest of us. So let say from now on leave certain words out of text here and you will find that you can seee clearly that you will not be nearly opposing to others.
Ignorance is not bliss, I am calling it as it lays. I WOULD be bearing false witness by calling an idiot a genious.

I am friends with a mentally handicapped person, and I never said anyone was retarded, there is a difference between a mental handicap and ignorance, look it up in the dictionary.

No, I would be just as opposing to false teachings regardless of the exact words used, but thanks for the thought.
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 09:28 AM   #72
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,694
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84Scrambler View Post
No Dave, you will only respect me when I start following the herd and agree with your beliefs. You really are brainwashed. I hope it works for you. You crack me up with the FAR more reasons to believe he woke up a couple days after bleeding to death line.
No, as a matter of fact I have a large degree of respect for a few of the atheists/agnostics/buddhists on this board because they at least understand what they are talking about. I won't name names because I have nothing to prove to you.

I would quickly share with you the reasons that it is far more likely and much more logical to believe that Jesus actually rose from the dead, but I know that you would not honestly consider it, but please correct me if I am wrong (seriously). But anyone else who wants to have that discussion, say the word. We already know he lived and died, and his body was never found, but the resurrection is the only critical factor, it is what separates the wheat from the chaff.
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 09:37 AM   #73
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,996
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDevil View Post
No I weight considerably more then a duck.
Monty Python?

[QUOTE]I was into xtianity when I was younger and thats what was forced upon me growing up in a catholic house. Then I joined the army, met new people and picked up alot on religion and soldiers lives. [/QUOTES]

Do you mean like you saw how relgion affected soldiers lives? Or how it was looked at negitively?

Quote:
Any mainstream religion is a farse, not one religion has it right. They are nothing but organized cults.
MIght as well just say all religions in this case. The only way to tell who was right is to die and then come back to life, I only know of one person that did that in the past 2000 years. :tonka:

Quote:
They take money, they provide typical scripted sermons, they hand feed you anything you want to hear as long as you keep giving them "donations/tithings".
You know what's funny about that? Most mainstream churches now-a-days actually discourage visitors to give. The money that does get collected will go to costs to run the church. I do'nt see anything sinister in that. CHRISTians are called to give 10 percent, it's not or money anyways, God's just letting us use it.
Also, in those "Scripted Sermons" about giving, there is usually a part were they mention that God does not want tithe out of obligation but out of praise to him for providing for that person. I know plenty of Sermons that were the exact oppsite of what the Congregation wanted to hear. You're sterotyping a Widely diverse relgion. If you were to actually go and research different Churches, you'd find something completely different then you Assume is there.

Quote:
And about the xtians adopting other religious cultures, they never did that, they stole them and claimed them as their own. In my religion we celebrate the rebirth of the earth during midwinter, Now known as Christmas. Im still trying to figure out how someone can celebrate a birthday of a being that never existed.
Yeah, we stole Christmas. Too bad it's really not even about Christ or the rebirth of the earth any more. Just Comercialism.
Maybe Chrsitians saw that celebrating the rebirth of the earth was widely popular and tried to put a Christian Twist on it and it just took off. Hm.>..?

Also, Christ Exsisted. To deny that is Arrogant. There are Roman Documents (to start off with) that prove he exsisted. Plus, there's no need to argue this, because when you die, You'll know who's right.
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 12:25 PM   #74
WhiteDevil
Newbie
 
Join Date: 05-11-08
Location: 60118
Posts: 9
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Not only how if effected their lives but the wide spanse of religions that come together when you get that many of us together.

It is purely commercialized now. However,every other holiday has met that same fate as well, or should I say religious holidays.

Where are these "Roman Documents"?

So far they are just speculation because no one outside of the vatican has seen them. If you know where to find them, please do share. I am not afraid of learning.


EDIT-

Its "Gods" money, he is just letting us use it????? are you serious?

I would love to know where that came from. They all take donations, weather it be in the form of currency, goods, or services. They write it off.
WhiteDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 12:43 PM   #75
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,694
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

check this out: http://www.christian-thinktank.com/jrthal.html

that is just the tip of the iceberg
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 12:52 PM   #76
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,856
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
it's not or money anyways, God's just letting us use it.
ok.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 01:30 PM   #77
Chiefwoohaw
Pokerob is my B*tch!
 
Chiefwoohaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,508
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
ok.
Mike theifs God's 10% every week, incase you didn't get what the was about.
Chiefwoohaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 02:58 PM   #78
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,856
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

insert George Carlin's rant about God who can't handle his money...
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 03:09 PM   #79
Chiefwoohaw
Pokerob is my B*tch!
 
Chiefwoohaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,508
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

My chruch is another that lets the visitors know that the offering is a time for the members and generosity is great but we don't want your money.
Chiefwoohaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 03:39 PM   #80
87'YJ
Jeeps, Journey and Jesus
 
87'YJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Columbus
Posts: 1,651
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHVYPWR View Post

What does education have to do with what belief system one follows???
The more educated you are, specifically in areas of history, archeology, ancient cultures and ancient writings, the more able you are to determine truth from fiction in religions.

Education about any religion (and I have studied many of them at OSU) is a good thing. BUT, when that education leads to blatant contradictions, or flat out untruths, its time to consider that religion an "unviable option" and move on.

Education has ALOT to do with religion. Uneducated people throughout history can be tricked into believing anything no matter how foolish because they do not know better.

There can be only one true religion (or no true religion). They all hold contradictory statements, therefore cannot all be true. Through learning about these, we can see that many don't make any rational sense at all (and a religion should make some rational sense....right?)
87'YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
Tags
burning in hell, dirty heathens

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:30 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.43957 seconds with 80 queries