Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > General Tech
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 5th, 2008, 11:37 AM   #1
big burt
Senior Member
 
big burt's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-02-06
Location: novi mi 48377
Posts: 1,269
iTrader: (14)
Send a message via AIM to big burt
Question flat bed truck design question

i am lookin to build a flat bed for my long box chevy pickup. im not really sure where to start. i was just wondering if anybody had one i could look at to get some pointers from or atleast a starting point. thanks alot
big burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 05:39 PM   #2
big burt
Senior Member
 
big burt's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-02-06
Location: novi mi 48377
Posts: 1,269
iTrader: (14)
Send a message via AIM to big burt
top
big burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 05:44 PM   #3
Kodiak450r
Keep on truckin
 
Kodiak450r's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-07
Location: Waterford, MI
Posts: 5,900
iTrader: (19)
whats your plan for use? plan on using all steel or steel frame with wood inserts? i'd go about making a rectangular frame out of square tubing layed out across the body mounts then depending on if it has to hold alot of weight or not lay 1/4 steel sheet across it.
Kodiak450r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 09:01 PM   #4
big burt
Senior Member
 
big burt's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-02-06
Location: novi mi 48377
Posts: 1,269
iTrader: (14)
Send a message via AIM to big burt
i reallly dont need to hold alot of weight at all, im just lookin to replace my rusty ass old bed the a flat bed. i think they look good and i wount have to worry about bashin in a bed side while wheelin. but i was planing on using wook inserts and making a rectangular frame out of 2x4 tube steel with one brace going from the front to the rear and then two or three braces going from side to side, and i was gonna try to make it so i could make the wood sit flush with the steel frame...i still would like to see what some other people have made so i can get a rough idea of what it should look like. anybody got anything??
big burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 11:01 AM   #5
Renegade II
Coil springs are for pens
 
Renegade II's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-30-06
Location: Frankenmuth, Mi.
Posts: 3,311
iTrader: (13)
I've got one that came off of a road commision truck. Will sell cheap, otherwise I'll take it in for scrap metal value.

Last edited by Renegade II; September 4th, 2009 at 01:14 PM.
Renegade II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 12:08 PM   #6
Chiefwoohaw
Pokerob is my B*tch!
 
Chiefwoohaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,502
iTrader: (7)
I'm interested if he's not.
Chiefwoohaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 12:18 PM   #7
bearlys2005
Senior Member
 
bearlys2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-13-06
Location: Macomb, Michigan
Posts: 939
iTrader: (3)
Just sharing a bit of experience... Changing the configuration of you pickup required changing the title which requires commercial plates, commercial insurance policy, chauffeurs license, medical card. This will also get you pulled over and harassed by the DOT. Plus you have to have safety equipment on the vehicle as well as annual inspections. I have personal experience with this when I did a flat bed on a pickup as well as when I put a utility body on a pickup. The DOT has nothing better to do then look for commercial vehicle violations. I ended up scraping the pickup with the flat bed and sold the one with the utility body. Just thought I'd share with you.
bearlys2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 01:05 PM   #8
Renegade II
Coil springs are for pens
 
Renegade II's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-30-06
Location: Frankenmuth, Mi.
Posts: 3,311
iTrader: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearlys2005 View Post
Just sharing a bit of experience... Changing the configuration of you pickup required changing the title which requires commercial plates, commercial insurance policy, chauffeurs license, medical card. This will also get you pulled over and harassed by the DOT. Plus you have to have safety equipment on the vehicle as well as annual inspections. I have personal experience with this when I did a flat bed on a pickup as well as when I put a utility body on a pickup. The DOT has nothing better to do then look for commercial vehicle violations. I ended up scraping the pickup with the flat bed and sold the one with the utility body. Just thought I'd share with you.
I think they just liked screwing with you

Not trying to argue about it, just my experience:

Close to 15 years, and 10's of thousands of miles now driving two different relatives flat bed pickups around. One of which even had the TR-54 inspection (for a lost title) conducted by a Motor Carrier officer. Neither I nor they have ever been stopped, both are plated as PC, standard PC insurance (after being checked over by insurance agent) and not buisness related or over 10k GVWR, no medical card, Chauffeur license, etc. needed. I doubt big burt's SRW chevy is over 10k GVWR.

But if you put a business name or # on the truck you are fair game, Motor Carrier will be on you quick.

Chauffeur license info: http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7...5395--,00.html
Renegade II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 01:24 PM   #9
bearlys2005
Senior Member
 
bearlys2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-13-06
Location: Macomb, Michigan
Posts: 939
iTrader: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade II View Post
I think they just liked screwing with you

Not trying to argue about it, just my experience:

Close to 15 years, and 10's of thousands of miles now driving two different relatives flat bed pickups around. One of which even had the TR-54 inspection (for a lost title) conducted by a Motor Carrier officer. Neither I nor they have ever been stopped, both are plated as PC, standard PC insurance (after being checked over by insurance agent) and not buisness related or over 10k GVWR, no medical card, Chauffeur license, etc. needed. I doubt big burt's SRW chevy is over 10k GVWR.

But if you put a business name or # on the truck you are fair game, Motor Carrier will be on you quick.

Chauffeur license info: http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7...5395--,00.html
You may be right with the flat bed in this state. I thought about it after the post and they (DOT) talked to me but never pursued writing tickets for the flat bed which I did back around 1990. The just told me the title and reg needed to be changed to utility due to it not being a pickup any longer so I scraped the truck. However, the truck I put the utility body on was in 2001 and was pulled over within weeks of getting it put on. Didn't have a name on it nor did I plan to put one on, just wanted the use of that type of body for hauling my things. DOT stopped me and informed me of all the things I posted earlier. I did re-title and insure the truck. I had a CDL and chauffeurs plus a medical card so didn't have to worry about that. It was an F250 so it didn't exceed the 10K you mentioned. Also if I hooked a trailer to it I had to get a GVW plate for 24,000 which would have been a real expensive plate. So I changed the title, reg, and insurance to utility but stopped there due to it being for my use. They stopped me again and forced me to put my name and my phone number on the vehicle even though it was for personal use. Once I had my name on it I had to take it to them and they did an annual inspection on the vehicle. It was a total pain in the.....
bearlys2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 03:32 PM   #10
big burt
Senior Member
 
big burt's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-02-06
Location: novi mi 48377
Posts: 1,269
iTrader: (14)
Send a message via AIM to big burt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade II View Post
I've got one that came off of a road commision truck. Will sell cheap, otherwise I'll take it in for scrap metal value.
sweet what are the dementions and what did it come off of. im not gonna drive it alot so im not worried about gettin a ticket. pm me back thanks!!
big burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 10:54 PM   #11
PavementPounder
I am the law.
 
PavementPounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Birmingham, Michigan 48009
Posts: 29,824
iTrader: (224)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearlys2005 View Post
You may be right with the flat bed in this state. I thought about it after the post and they (DOT) talked to me but never pursued writing tickets for the flat bed which I did back around 1990. The just told me the title and reg needed to be changed to utility due to it not being a pickup any longer so I scraped the truck. However, the truck I put the utility body on was in 2001 and was pulled over within weeks of getting it put on. Didn't have a name on it nor did I plan to put one on, just wanted the use of that type of body for hauling my things. DOT stopped me and informed me of all the things I posted earlier. I did re-title and insure the truck. I had a CDL and chauffeurs plus a medical card so didn't have to worry about that. It was an F250 so it didn't exceed the 10K you mentioned. Also if I hooked a trailer to it I had to get a GVW plate for 24,000 which would have been a real expensive plate. So I changed the title, reg, and insurance to utility but stopped there due to it being for my use. They stopped me again and forced me to put my name and my phone number on the vehicle even though it was for personal use. Once I had my name on it I had to take it to them and they did an annual inspection on the vehicle. It was a total pain in the.....

I agree with Renegade II. If that happened in Michigan, you just plain let them fukc you over. You can title Deuces as RV's in this state. Those have pretty big flatbeds.
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 05:18 AM   #12
bearlys2005
Senior Member
 
bearlys2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-13-06
Location: Macomb, Michigan
Posts: 939
iTrader: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PavementPounder View Post
I agree with Renegade II. If that happened in Michigan, you just plain let them fukc you over. You can title Deuces as RV's in this state. Those have pretty big flatbeds.
Agreed, the flat bed was a long time ago and the local DOT was a real prick... Hated dealing with him.... It's a shame that they would mess with people who are just trying to live their life and not hurting anyone.
bearlys2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 12:54 PM   #13
big burt
Senior Member
 
big burt's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-02-06
Location: novi mi 48377
Posts: 1,269
iTrader: (14)
Send a message via AIM to big burt
thanks for all the help guys. im still on the market untill i get a pm back. anyone else have anything or some design tips?
big burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 07:38 AM   #14
big burt
Senior Member
 
big burt's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-02-06
Location: novi mi 48377
Posts: 1,269
iTrader: (14)
Send a message via AIM to big burt
ttt
big burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 09:41 PM   #15
Renegade II
Coil springs are for pens
 
Renegade II's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-30-06
Location: Frankenmuth, Mi.
Posts: 3,311
iTrader: (13)
Specs for the bed are:
8'1" long X 6'1" wide
Full 1/4" steel floor

I'm out on disability now and there's no way I can manuver that thing around enough to torch the floor out.

Last edited by Renegade II; May 8th, 2008 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Add info
Renegade II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 09:48 PM   #16
big burt
Senior Member
 
big burt's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-02-06
Location: novi mi 48377
Posts: 1,269
iTrader: (14)
Send a message via AIM to big burt
if i came there and tortched the floor out myself would that be cool, and would it be movable with the floor out? thanks
big burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 10:01 PM   #17
Renegade II
Coil springs are for pens
 
Renegade II's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-30-06
Location: Frankenmuth, Mi.
Posts: 3,311
iTrader: (13)
I'll see if I can winch it on it's side and see just how many places the deck is welded to the frame. It may entail a lot of cutting to get the deck off. This thing was way, way over built. It would still be fairly heavy, but possibly managable with the floor torched out.

Even with a 8000 lb. H1 I had a hard time dragging this thing to where it's currently setting.
Renegade II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 10:14 PM   #18
bigcountrysg
Countryboy
 
bigcountrysg's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-07-07
Location: Willis Michigan
Posts: 1,599
iTrader: (3)
Build it out of pressure treated 4x4's and 2x8's. Will last you longer then that cab.
bigcountrysg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 10:16 PM   #19
big burt
Senior Member
 
big burt's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-02-06
Location: novi mi 48377
Posts: 1,269
iTrader: (14)
Send a message via AIM to big burt
haha wait are you talkin about wood or steel? im hoping your talkin about steel
big burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 02:09 PM   #20
big burt
Senior Member
 
big burt's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-02-06
Location: novi mi 48377
Posts: 1,269
iTrader: (14)
Send a message via AIM to big burt
ttt
big burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > General Tech
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:21 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.20050 seconds with 50 queries