Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

WhiteRhino's Latest Mods

Tags
meballs
317K views 2K replies 189 participants last post by  whiterhino 
#1 ·
Sometime late last summer I was talking to Jim about modding his jeep and it snowballed and somehow I got in the middle of it. before I knew what was going on I agreed to build his jeep over again pretty much. The goal was lots of strength and a nice cushy ride while providing clearance for 40's in the future.

The entire build/arguing/problem solving thread is here: http://www.misfitoffroad.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=8991&start=0

it will be completely finished and wheelable in the next couple weeks.
here are a few pictures of the build:

Attachments

See less See more
#1,364 ·
Typically the way alot of people design their "double shear" high steer setups do not load the bolt in a true "double shear" fashion lol. Double shear is a pin/bolt loading term, but how many bolt failures do you see??

But there is no doubt that it disburses the load "more" evenly across the knuckle so that it reduces stress in the more vulnerable areas. ie stress risers around bolt holes transitional areas where the , abrupt changes in material thickness,

If you did a load analysis "correctly" on this and color mapped it, you could visualize the benefits

"Double shear" Rant off

#1,374 ·
Yes, but not yet Paul for 2 reasons. Lots of holiday stuff going on right now and I don't think I can get it swapped out before 12/26. Second, since I broke a stub shaft, I'm a little concerned about my Detroit. There was nothing in the dif oil but.......
So, rather than having to pull both sides back down if there is a problem, I save some labor by waiting till after a test run.

Oh, and credit goes to @95geo for the hoist brackets on the frame. :thumb:

#1,377 ·
So I mentioned that I had spun my rear driveshaft enough on the rocks that it had worn down the yoke and the snap rings were about to fall out. Since there was nothing else wrong with this driveshaft and it's a thick wall, I wanted to salvage it. So...... what to do?? :confused:

Rock rash

First thing to do was to set the shaft up in the mill and machine the old yoke down flush to the top of the u-joint.

Next I made up some new rings with a thru diameter of 1.188 to match the u-joint and a counterbored diameter for the snap ring.

Next I drove the u-joint out far enough to pilot the ring on the yoke and then clamped it in place. (no pic) A few tack welds around the outside hold it in place. (sorry I don't have a TIG so I can't brag about nice welds :d:)

Hey, snap rings fit!

Final hit with the flap wheel to remove the high spots, splash some spray bomb rustoleum on and it's good to go. :woot:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.