religion is NOT harmless. - Page 2 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old April 1st, 2008, 09:49 AM   #21
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,793
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkstoncracker View Post
What do you mean religious is not harmless? Haven't you ever read a history book? I realized this when I was 7. 99% of the wars that have ever happened is directly due to religion. Why did it take one whack job family to make you see the light?
are you serious. you think this made me "see the light". have you been on this website the last few years? :tonka:

this was just one current event that I thought would lead into a good discussion.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old April 1st, 2008, 09:53 AM   #22
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,793
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMFmike View Post
I dont discuss that either.


My mind is wicked open, I love hearing decent arguments with great facts to back them up so I can reflect on it and really come to my own decision, I love that part.

I cannot, however, read something on a www. and really take it seriously no matter who's work it is, who is cited in the article or any topic no matter how relevant to my interests.
I understand what you're saying, but one thing, i don't think an idea should be automatically dis-credited because it is on the internet. Sure there is a lot of bullshit on the internet, but there's a lot of truth that doesn't make it to the mainstream (especially the media) because of cow towing to the corporations that decide what is printed or shown and what isn't.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 09:55 AM   #23
BMFmike
meh.
 
BMFmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Grand Haven
Posts: 7,816
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
I understand what you're saying, but one thing, i don't think an idea should be automatically dis-credited because it is on the internet. Sure there is a lot of bullshit on the internet, but there's a lot of truth that doesn't make it to the mainstream (especially the media) because of cow towing to the corporations that decide what is printed or shown and what isn't.
I can understand and do go to certain news websites to catch up on non main stream action but when it comes down to religion and beliefs, for some reason I just dont like to turn to the internet for that?
BMFmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 09:57 AM   #24
clarkstoncracker
lol
 
clarkstoncracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-03-05
Location: OC - MI
Posts: 42,557
iTrader: (40)
Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to clarkstoncracker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
are you serious. you think this made me "see the light". have you been on this website the last few years? :tonka:

this was just one current event that I thought would lead into a good discussion.
It would if this had anything to do with religion. I attribute this death to the parents being mentally ill, not brainwashed from religion.

Its more ironic when a tornado rips apart a church killing people inside. That is something to talk about, not some whack job parents.
__________________
clarkstoncracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 10:15 AM   #25
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,793
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMFmike View Post
I can understand and do go to certain news websites to catch up on non main stream action but when it comes down to religion and beliefs, for some reason I just dont like to turn to the internet for that?
so what is more credible for your religious facts?
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 12:40 PM   #26
Mr Toes - R.I.P.
November 7, 1958 - July 22, 2011
 
Mr Toes - R.I.P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-29-07
Location: Belleville Mi
Posts: 4,727
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
here's a fun little lesson plan to teach you about fossil evidence for evolution.

http://www.teachersdomain.org/resour...vid/index.html

blind unsupported faith...that sounds sooooo familiar...
Tell your students to read some publications by current acredited scientists, or maybee try it yourself.

"Evolutionism is a fairy tale for grown-ups. This theory has helped nothing in the progress of science. It is useless."—*Bounoure, Le Monde et la Vie (October 1983) [Director of Research at the National Center of Scientific Research in France].

"I assert only that the mechanism of evolution suggested by Charles Darwin has been found inadequate by the professionals, and that they have moved on to other views and problems. In brief, classical Darwinism is no longer considered valid by qualified biologists."—*N. Macbeth, Darwin Retried (1971).

" ‘Scientists who go about teaching that evolution is a fact of life are great con men, and the story they are telling may be the greatest hoax ever. In explaining evolution we do not have one iota of fact.’ [Tahmisian called it] a tangled mishmash of guessing games and figure juggling."—*Fresno Bee, August 20, 1959, p. 1-B [quoting *T.N. Tahmisian, physiologist for the Atomic Energy Commission].

"My attempts to demonstrate evolution by an experiment carried on for more than 40 years have completely failed. At least I should hardly be accused of having started from any preconceived anti-evolutionary standpoint."—*H. Nilsson, Synthetic Speciation (1953), p. 31

Blind unsupported faith yes it does sound soooo familiar

"The hypothesis that life has developed from inorganic matter is, at present, still an article of faith."—*J.W.N. Sullivan, The Limitations of Science (1933), p. 95.

How closed minded are you???
Mr Toes - R.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 12:46 PM   #27
forbyefore
.
 
forbyefore's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-14-07
Location: Bay City/AuGres, MI
Posts: 1,435
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

"There is no abuse or signs of abuse that we can see."

I guess letting a child die from a treatable disease is not abuse. What kind if idiots are we dealing with here, the parents and the law.
forbyefore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 12:50 PM   #28
cwk33041
Senior Member
 
cwk33041's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-12-06
Location: Livonia & Houghton, MI
Posts: 801
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

God helps those who help themselves....
cwk33041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 01:06 PM   #29
Chiefwoohaw
Pokerob is my B*tch!
 
Chiefwoohaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,507
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

God is actually Mike Sova . . . .




See, you just read it on the internet so it must be true
Chiefwoohaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 01:25 PM   #30
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,793
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toes View Post
Tell your students to read some publications by current acredited scientists, or maybee try it yourself.

"Evolutionism is a fairy tale for grown-ups. This theory has helped nothing in the progress of science. It is useless."—*Bounoure, Le Monde et la Vie (October 1983) [Director of Research at the National Center of Scientific Research in France].

"I assert only that the mechanism of evolution suggested by Charles Darwin has been found inadequate by the professionals, and that they have moved on to other views and problems. In brief, classical Darwinism is no longer considered valid by qualified biologists."—*N. Macbeth, Darwin Retried (1971).

" ‘Scientists who go about teaching that evolution is a fact of life are great con men, and the story they are telling may be the greatest hoax ever. In explaining evolution we do not have one iota of fact.’ [Tahmisian called it] a tangled mishmash of guessing games and figure juggling."—*Fresno Bee, August 20, 1959, p. 1-B [quoting *T.N. Tahmisian, physiologist for the Atomic Energy Commission].

"My attempts to demonstrate evolution by an experiment carried on for more than 40 years have completely failed. At least I should hardly be accused of having started from any preconceived anti-evolutionary standpoint."—*H. Nilsson, Synthetic Speciation (1953), p. 31

Blind unsupported faith yes it does sound soooo familiar

"The hypothesis that life has developed from inorganic matter is, at present, still an article of faith."—*J.W.N. Sullivan, The Limitations of Science (1933), p. 95.

How closed minded are you???
for every 100 scientists that that deny the theory of evolution, you can find 100 named Steve who endorse it.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/steve/

i'm open minded, i don't know what created life, but I can see that evolution is what made us the way we are today. just look at an ape, then look at homo erectus, then homo sapien... natural selection.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 01:30 PM   #31
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

this is why i pray to almighty Zeus to smite my enemies and heal my hurts, he always comes through.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 01:31 PM   #32
FORD FLARESIDE
Someday, yeah Someday
 
FORD FLARESIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-09-06
Location: Comstock Park
Posts: 21,710
iTrader: (24)
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
for every 100 scientists that that deny the theory of evolution, you can find 100 named Steve who endorse it.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/steve/

i'm open minded, i don't know what created life, but I can see that evolution is what made us the way we are today. just look at an ape, then look at homo erectus, then homo sapien... natural selection.
So, why did the Ape have to come first? I'm kind of thinking that some of my ancestor's evolved into apes.

You see, I was watching this movie today on one of the Cable channels, and it showed our planet inhabited by apes with clothes and the humans were considered the anmimals...........(I think it was called "Planet of the Apes") you know it has to be true because my TV and the Internet come through the same cable, and we know the internet is true....................:tonka:
FORD FLARESIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 01:36 PM   #33
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORD FLARESIDE View Post
So, why did the Ape have to come first? I'm kind of thinking that some of my ancestor's evolved into apes.

You see, I was watching this movie today on one of the Cable channels, and it showed our planet inhabited by apes with clothes and the humans were considered the anmimals...........(I think it was called "Planet of the Apes") you know it has to be true because my TV and the Internet come through the same cable, and we know the internet is true....................:tonka:
humans are anmimals.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 01:49 PM   #34
Mr Toes - R.I.P.
November 7, 1958 - July 22, 2011
 
Mr Toes - R.I.P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-29-07
Location: Belleville Mi
Posts: 4,727
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
for every 100 scientists that that deny the theory of evolution, you can find 100 named Steve who endorse it.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/steve/

i'm open minded, i don't know what created life, but I can see that evolution is what made us the way we are today. just look at an ape, then look at homo erectus, then homo sapien... natural selection.
You exhibit more blind faith than any religious person I know. Your making a deduction based a therory that is debated and disputed by the scientific community more than any religious organization. The scientific community agrees that there is no supporting evidence to evolution.

"Evolution is perhaps unique among major scientific theories in that the appeal for its acceptance is not that there is evidence of it, but that any other proposed interpretation of the data is wholly incredible."—*Charles Singer, A Short History of Science to the Nineteenth Century, 1941

How can you even suggest your open minded when you say I can see what made us the way we are today, It's that unsupported, scientifically disputed,
random therory that makes it obvious. Religious nut cases have nothing on you.

For every scientist that supports evolution you have the same scientist that admits there is no evidence to what he supports, just a scientific fairytale.

You want to be open minded then tell everybody here you believe in something that has to date, no proof, just therory, its a blind faith belief on your part.
Mr Toes - R.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 01:52 PM   #35
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,793
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

why are all your quotes from scientists that are probably dead?
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 02:03 PM   #36
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,793
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toes View Post
You exhibit more blind faith than any religious person I know. Your making a deduction based a therory that is debated and disputed by the scientific community more than any religious organization. The scientific community agrees that there is no supporting evidence to evolution.

"Evolution is perhaps unique among major scientific theories in that the appeal for its acceptance is not that there is evidence of it, but that any other proposed interpretation of the data is wholly incredible."—*Charles Singer, A Short History of Science to the Nineteenth Century, 1941

How can you even suggest your open minded when you say I can see what made us the way we are today, It's that unsupported, scientifically disputed,
random therory that makes it obvious. Religious nut cases have nothing on you.

For every scientist that supports evolution you have the same scientist that admits there is no evidence to what he supports, just a scientific fairytale.

You want to be open minded then tell everybody here you believe in something that has to date, no proof, just therory, its a blind faith belief on your part.
here's a simple explanation of the evidence we have so far:

http://anthro.palomar.edu/evolve/evolve_3.htm

I mean, you keep saying there is NO EVIDENCE, when there obviously is. It wouldn't be an accepted scientific theory without ANY evidence. Hence why creationism isn't a scientific theory.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 04:54 PM   #37
Mr Toes - R.I.P.
November 7, 1958 - July 22, 2011
 
Mr Toes - R.I.P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-29-07
Location: Belleville Mi
Posts: 4,727
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
why are all your quotes from scientists that are probably dead?
Like Darwin?
Mr Toes - R.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 05:23 PM   #38
Mr Toes - R.I.P.
November 7, 1958 - July 22, 2011
 
Mr Toes - R.I.P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-29-07
Location: Belleville Mi
Posts: 4,727
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
here's a simple explanation of the evidence we have so far:

http://anthro.palomar.edu/evolve/evolve_3.htm

I mean, you keep saying there is NO EVIDENCE, when there obviously is. It wouldn't be an accepted scientific theory without ANY evidence. Hence why creationism isn't a scientific theory.
I'm not saying there is no evidence scientists are saying that. I haven't said one single thing about creationism but you insist on bringing that into the discussion. I'm merely presenting a different opinion from the science community, non of which has anything to do with creationism, Christianity, or religion in general, and all of which should be taught in the schools to allow students to make a choice and not have your beliefs shoved down their throats.
Mr Toes - R.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 05:25 PM   #39
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,793
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toes View Post
Like Darwin?
I was trying to demonstrate the idea that the more time goes by, we will probably have less and less creationist scientists. Darwin is still relevant because what he came up with is a scientific theory. Do we still look to alchemists as credible sources? How about flat earthers?
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 05:57 PM   #40
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,493
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
should your faith also make you realize that the theory of evolution is what ties everything we know about biology together and this is what they base modern medicine on?

P.S. I found a website last night that allows you jesus freaks to "believe" in evolution, too.

http://answersincreation.org/
Nice job of hijacking your own thread. What does a a set of nutjob set of parents who let their child die because their sitting around praying rather than seeking medical attention have to do with evolution?
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:26 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.38475 seconds with 80 queries