Remember when hockey was fun to watch? - Page 2 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old March 25th, 2008, 09:32 PM   #21
wakebabe
Mrs. Bones
 
Join Date: 11-15-05
Location: Dearborn Heights
Posts: 4,154
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Roy's son plays keeper and gets in fights all the time... i'll find the link
thats all hockey is

no, i don't remember when hockey was fun to watch...
wakebabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old March 25th, 2008, 10:42 PM   #22
Grifter
Human Hunter
 
Grifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: back in "slow"chester
Posts: 1,364
iTrader: (14)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

CC i am guessing you where watching tonights game? slow game huh?

chances are we might get to relive a lil of the av's / wings rivalry in the first round this year...

look at what we got...
oxxys back and healthy
McCartys a couple games out. the emotional heart of the team.
Malts, Drapes, Cleary all old timers that played when it was fun. not to mention the Captain..with babcock piloting this mess
then add in Downey, Stuart, kopecky ...

playing off against forsberg, foote, sakic with the addition of Laperriere, smyth

add all them together and throw in a bunch of young guns eager to prove their worth and we might just have a mix for madness..now if only the refs will let em play..

i think if that match up works for the 1st round we should have some fun..especially if it gets tight and goes 6 or 7 games..

sweet video though..i love when roy gets close lined..i especially love when McCarty throws the upper cut on lemoiux (sp?)
Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 10:55 PM   #23
zjkid
Senior Member
 
zjkid's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-18-07
Location: EL
Posts: 3,931
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifter View Post
CC i am guessing you where watching tonights game? slow game huh?

chances are we might get to relive a lil of the av's / wings rivalry in the first round this year...

look at what we got...
oxxys back and healthy
McCartys a couple games out. the emotional heart of the team.
Malts, Drapes, Cleary all old timers that played when it was fun. not to mention the Captain..with babcock piloting this mess
then add in Downey, Stuart, kopecky ...

playing off against forsberg, foote, sakic with the addition of Laperriere, smyth

add all them together and throw in a bunch of young guns eager to prove their worth and we might just have a mix for madness..now if only the refs will let em play..

i think if that match up works for the 1st round we should have some fun..especially if it gets tight and goes 6 or 7 games..

sweet video though..i love when roy gets close lined..i especially love when McCarty throws the upper cut on lemoiux (sp?)
Forseberg and Foote arent there, and Cleary wasnt around when the rivalry was good.
zjkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 11:07 PM   #24
MSUjeeper
Senior Member
 
MSUjeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-20-08
Location: White Lake/ E. Lansing
Posts: 403
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I've played hockey my whole life and the new rules suck. Theyre trying to make hockey a pussy sport when it used to be one of the most exciting sports to watch
MSUjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 11:18 PM   #25
FlatFender
Tap Tap Splat
 
FlatFender's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 15,784
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

That was a hell of a season. If I remember, the wings wont the cup that year didnt they?

I miss the Russian 5.
I miss Scotty Bowman.

I really don't remember the last time I watched the wings.
FlatFender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 11:23 PM   #26
JohnnyJ
Low Range Drifter
 
JohnnyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Hartland, MI
Posts: 6,288
iTrader: (38)
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Default

When I was college (90-94) and a few years after I watched nearly every game. It was the best when I didn't know if the Wings were going to win. When they won the Cup in 97 it was awesome, but then everyone expected them to keep always winning. Any loss and people claimed they sucked. By that point, I started watching less frequently, and by the time of the lockout I was pretty much done watching.

The best hockey I remember was the home & home with the NY Rangers back in the early 90s; I think it was the 93-94 season. The Wings were starting to not suck, and the Rangers were top in the Eastern. I think that was the peak of my interest. I remember looking forward to those games as it came up; I don't know if I've been that excited about regular season game since.
__________________
Neither Skinny Nor Pretty DEAK Racing 4517 Ultra 4 Mod Class Rig
Surviving Project Car Hell - We have all been there
JohnnyJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 12:30 AM   #27
Grifter
Human Hunter
 
Grifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: back in "slow"chester
Posts: 1,364
iTrader: (14)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjkid View Post
Forseberg and Foote arent there, and Cleary wasnt around when the rivalry was good.
sorry bro, go check the NHL website..team rosters...they traded for foote and forseberg earlier this year..foote is on injured reserve..unless they havent updated the team sites..which would be odd because the red wings site has been updated so why not the avs..

my bad i thought cleary was around then..hell i was only 15 or so i cant remeber every damn thing//i was to damn busy chasing tail to be memorizing team rosters..

either way...i dont think that rivalry will ver die..both teams still play hard when they face off..should be a good match..
Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 01:24 AM   #28
Streaver
.
 
Streaver's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-10-06
Location: St. Clair/Flint
Posts: 242
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Streaver
Default

This is my pal Pavel, let me introduce you:

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=C4CD84qo9Eo
http://youtube.com/watch?v=EhiALeK5rTk
http://youtube.com/watch?v=yAZ8ixke4wY
http://youtube.com/watch?v=W5KkwRXN_lM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Jk0xMJBs8As
Streaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 07:33 AM   #29
clarkstoncracker
lol
 
clarkstoncracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-03-05
Location: OC - MI
Posts: 42,610
iTrader: (40)
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to clarkstoncracker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streaver View Post

Sure, he's a great puck handler and fun to watch, but its hard to watch a complete hockey game just to see the combined total of 27 seconds that he has the puck.
__________________
clarkstoncracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 07:43 AM   #30
Weasal
Better than Newbie
 
Weasal's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-30-06
Location: Mt Pleasant, MI
Posts: 2,827
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

i could go on watching wings/avs brawl forever
Weasal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 11:19 AM   #31
Bones
skillicous
 
Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Dearborn Heights, MI
Posts: 11,499
iTrader: (37)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Bones
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkstoncracker View Post
Sure, he's a great puck handler and fun to watch, but its hard to watch a complete hockey game just to see the combined total of 27 seconds that he has the puck.
you don't watch the wings much eh? He has the puck atleast 20 seconds a shift... it is rediculous.

Old school fans don't appreciate the new finnesse that hockey has...
__________________
Inviscid Motorsports

Special Thanks and Recommendations to;
Motorcity Machines
Ironman Offroad
Branik Motorsports
Maxxis Tires

Raceline Wheels
PAC Racing Springs
Joint Clutch and Gear
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 11:22 AM   #32
clarkstoncracker
lol
 
clarkstoncracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-03-05
Location: OC - MI
Posts: 42,610
iTrader: (40)
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to clarkstoncracker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
you don't watch the wings much eh? He has the puck atleast 20 seconds a shift... it is rediculous.

Old school fans don't appreciate the new finnesse that hockey has...

Nope, Its just not fun to watch anymore.
__________________
clarkstoncracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 11:43 AM   #33
mooseracing
Stuck like a MoFo
 
mooseracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-12-06
Location: South GR
Posts: 385
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mooseracing
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Old school fans don't appreciate the new finnesse that hockey has...

You can still have finesse to miss the 230lb coming across to lay your ass out, it just shouldn't be an instant penalty. And if the other team wants to pay you back that shouldn't be another penalty or game suspension.

It's stupid.

NFL is getting close to this with the "late" hits on quarterbacks.
mooseracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 11:44 AM   #34
Weasal
Better than Newbie
 
Weasal's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-30-06
Location: Mt Pleasant, MI
Posts: 2,827
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

when you see someone make a goalie jump to save the puck, and they're still handling it... thats just awesome/amazing
Weasal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 11:46 AM   #35
Weasal
Better than Newbie
 
Weasal's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-30-06
Location: Mt Pleasant, MI
Posts: 2,827
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseracing View Post
You can still have finesse to miss the 230lb coming across to lay your ass out, it just shouldn't be an instant penalty. And if the other team wants to pay you back that shouldn't be another penalty or game suspension.

It's stupid.

NFL is getting close to this with the "late" hits on quarterbacks.
yes, the amount of stoppage in the "new" NHL is stupid, so long as the hits and such are clean... just let them play
Weasal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 11:59 AM   #36
forbyefore
.
 
forbyefore's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-14-07
Location: Bay City/AuGres, MI
Posts: 1,435
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I miss the days when guys got kicked out of Canada and got high on coke and wrecked their Harleys. Probert was great.
forbyefore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 12:28 PM   #37
Roadhouse
DrivewayJeeper
 
Roadhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Sanford
Posts: 10,956
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

I still have the red wings game on vhs from when it first aired. I watch a couple times a year
Roadhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 01:47 PM   #38
RyeBread
Catch the wave
 
RyeBread's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: Fenton
Posts: 7,955
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

in as much as I enjoy european style hocky on wide open rinks, that allow the likes of pavel to show his stuff, I do still miss the days of optional helmets, and throwback players like snepps
RyeBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 01:49 PM   #39
zjkid
Senior Member
 
zjkid's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-18-07
Location: EL
Posts: 3,931
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifter View Post
sorry bro, go check the NHL website..team rosters...they traded for foote and forseberg earlier this year..foote is on injured reserve..unless they havent updated the team sites..which would be odd because the red wings site has been updated so why not the avs..

my bad i thought cleary was around then..hell i was only 15 or so i cant remeber every damn thing//i was to damn busy chasing tail to be memorizing team rosters..

either way...i dont think that rivalry will ver die..both teams still play hard when they face off..should be a good match..
My bad, haven't been paying attention much.
zjkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 02:11 PM   #40
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 31,353
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkstoncracker View Post
Nope, Its just not fun to watch anymore.
Agreed. The rules have ruined the game. The schedule has ruined the game. Expansion to cities like nashville, atlanta, tampa bay, etc. has ruined the game.

Give me back the 80's and early to mid 90's where the original 6 was still recognizeable, rivalry's were real, and the mentality of messing with Steve Y meant probert or kocur or grimson or lapointe or mccarty would lay you out and vice versa for the other star players on the other teams. Give me back tough physical players who could skate well and help assist the star players by doing the dirty work on the boards and providing open ice for the stars.

The premace of opening up the ice by not allowing you to touch the other players has made the game stupid. Open up the ice for the stars the old fashion way, you cheap shot my star goal scorer, I kick your ass.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:44 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.36415 seconds with 80 queries